A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

GP Gliders

Old January 6th 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default GP Gliders

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 4:46:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 08:52:53 UTC+11, wrote:
Want a one deign class today with plenty of ships in the fleet that meet the above criteria? Start a Std Libelle class.
Just Musing
UH

Hmmmm. I like it.

- Lots of gliders (600 manufactured, approx. 95 of which show up in the FAA registry in the U.S.)
- Reasonably inexpensive
- In good repair (the gel coat on 201s seems to last a looooong time)
- Still supported (by Streinfeneder)
- Little to no performance difference across versions (the later ones have water, top-surface-only dive brakes, foam core wings, and a bigger horizontal stab but I never saw any difference in performance, nor did the low and high canopies seem to matter). The fillets, winglets, etc., that we see on European Club Class 201s haven't showed up much here.
- A joy to fly
- Light and easy to assemble (my first solo-rigging experiments)
- Performance sufficient that pilots won't feel like they're taking an alarming step down
- Performance sufficient that owners will be happy flying them outside of contests

Admittedly I'm biased. I flew a 201 competitively for seven years and loved every minute of it. I was not always so happy flying a 1-26 before that; I'm not Ron Schwartz and just found it too difficult to stay airborne at times. I feel like I learned how to fly fast more quickly once I hopped into the 201. In it, a mistake meant I was slow. In the 1-26, a mistake put me on the ground, usually for the rest of the day.

I've owned my ASW 24 for 26 years and still love it. But if I were looking for a more economic class and there were a groundswell of interest in a Libelle 201 one-design class that drew participation from some top pilots, I would be tempted.

The latter factor is important. Sometimes our knee-jerk reaction to these classes (e.g., Club) is to restrict them to pilots who aren't already established in the higher ranks. But having the top pilots participate helps provide legitimacy. And not being able to fly and measure myself against them would be a deal breaker for me.

Chip Bearden

The Formula 1.0 GP in Oz which just finished was just about that. Not a glider on the grid worth more than about US$10K. 11 Libelles (four with winglets, some seriously pimped). Half a dozen Standard Cirri. The winner had an LS-1f. Jantar's attracted the hot pilots but skill seemed to be important too. The style leader was an Open Cirrus. The quiet achiever was a DG-100. My young friend who borrowed a Libelle was stoked by having the second highest speed on the last day with 104.8kph, beaten only by another Libelle flown by a guy called Streifeneder.

Very competitive plus kids and families. The best comp for a long time. Made Worlds seem dull.

GC

GC

Great concept!
Old January 6th 18, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S9
external usenet poster

Default GP Gliders

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 3:57:55 PM UTC-6, wrote:
..... I was wondering if they would be represented at the SSA convention this year. .....
Dave

I asked - (per Jerry)

We're not really in a hurry to appoint new US representative, we need to get this decision right, it has long term implications.

Unfortunately, this situation has a major impact on our US activities for the time being, therefore I doubt we'll be able to show up at SSA convention, which is very close now.

Best regards,

Jerzy Peszke

Stephen S9
Old January 6th 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S9
external usenet poster

Default GP Gliders

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 7:25:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there any update on GP Gliders USA? ..... I was wondering if they would be represented at the SSA convention this year. .....

Dave

..... I was wondering if they would be represented at the SSA convention this year. .....
Dave

I asked - (per Jerzy)

We're not really in a hurry to appoint new US representative, we need to get this decision right, it has long term implications.

Unfortunately, this situation has a major impact on our US activities for the time being, therefore I doubt we'll be able to show up at SSA convention, which is very close now.

Best regards,

Jerzy Peszke

Stephen S9