New Racing Class

Old January 5th 18, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default New Racing Class

At 05:03 05 January 2018, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 10:24:42 PM UTC-6, Retting wrote:
Hey, no fair.....what about us fat people?

Grease you up and we can shove you in! :-)

Steve Leonard

Our family had a Ka.6CR-PE, and a Ka.6E between 1968 and 1975.
In order to fit in, I had to have a special instrument panel that had
a pedestal with high leg cut-outs, along with taking the seat back out
and having a chute specially packed in a triangular shape to sit on
top of the gear well. With those mods, I just barely fit in. Steve's
idea may be great for folks that are under 6' tall and can fit into the
standard Ka.6 cockpit, but I don't think that I'd be able to swap
gliders around like he proposes unless all of those gliders had panels
with extra high leg cut outs..... The chute could obviously move from
glider to glider.

RO

Old January 5th 18, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ok Mike and Steve, then well put the "fat" boys in the libelles LOL
Old January 5th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

"repairbeing certificate for their glider"?Â* C'mon...Â* PC run amok or
sarcasm...?

On 1/4/2018 6:01 PM, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On this, I take a clue from Jay Lamm: I want a racing class full of folks I'd like to hang out, fly with, retrieve for, and drink beer with around a bonfire.

The Homebuilt class.

Eligibility for anyone who owns and flies an amateur-built glider. Bonus points to anyone who also holds the repairbeing certificate for their glider, or otherwise demonstrates a substantial role in construction, repair, or modification. Open also to anyone who flies a 1-26 built from a kit.

Awards in order of exaltedness:

* Best retrieve
* Best improvisation (mechanical or theatrical)
* Best (not lowest!) save
* Overall speed points
* Daily speed points

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 5th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 8:02:12 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
"repairbeing certificate for their glider"?Â* C'mon...Â* PC run amok or
sarcasm...?

Equal parts sarcasm and accommodation for the evolving nature of practical agency.

The rules set forth in 49CFR14 say that you don't need any certification of any type to build, maintain, repair, or modify an aircraft that carries a special airworthiness certificate issued for the operation of an amateur-built experimental aircraft. You don't even need to be human. Your dog or ferret can legally do the work.

However, for every such aircraft, one primary builder is accorded the privilege of applying for, and being issued, a "Repairman certificate" that confers exactly one unique privilege: That of signing the aircraft off as being of a condition for safe operation.

However, the "repairman" doesn't have to be a man. Or a woman. So, what to call that role? Some obvious choices a

Repairman: The current official name of the role--18th century terminology that assumes masculine gender or association therewith. Clearly dated, since a growing percentage of aircraft homebuilders identify as women or non-binary.

Repairperson: 1970s terminology that assumes species as Homo Sapiens. The rules establish no such stipulation.

Repairanimal: I think they had a cameo role in the Muppet Movie. But the rules don't even limit the role to members of the animal kingdom.

Repairbeing: Up to now, my favorite. However, it appears to imply sentience, and the rules don't even require that.

Repairer: That which or whom repairs. My new favorite.

--Bob K.
Old January 5th 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I have to say, at first I thought it was some weird typo or autocorrect, but, you have a great, to me, explanation.

Works for me.......
Old January 5th 18, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The FAI weighed in, they said a KA-6 class is a swell idea. Provided all the KA-6s are first fitted with FES.

Old January 5th 18, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

So......what is the handicap between "fat pilots" vs. "skinny pilots"? Some days (in a light wingloading glider) the difference in pilot weight can make a big difference in higher speed glide performance.........

"Let the discussion begin!"....... Yes, I represent the light end, sorta sucks back in the old days where I was flying ridges against other pilots that had me by 100+lbs in pilot weight on a "dry contest". I even asked my DR if I could get a medical slip stating I needed access to 20US gallons of liquids to drink every day.....never worked....sigh........

Yes, I was trying to be humorous, likely failed.
For now, the 1-26 class is likely the best "one design" class out there. Yes, I own part of one, still fun to fly it.
Old January 5th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Repairbot

Repairoid

Repairdiot

Old January 6th 18, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think MM fits all of those!