Solar Farm Development Near Glider Port - Problem?

Old November 28th 18, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Solar Farm Development Near Glider Port - Problem?

My club just got word that a solar farm is being proposed to be built about 1 mile directly off the west end of our runway 9-27. The zoning board meeting is tomorrow which I plan on attending.

Aside from this re-use of good farm land (and a close land out spot) is there a downside to having a solar farm directly along our takeoff and landing path? I see mention of glare from the solar panels in an FAA report (see abstract below) which points to moderate "impairment of flying ability".

Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

Thanks, John OHM Ω

================================
Evaluation of Glare as a Hazard for General Aviation Pilots on Final Approach
DOT/FAA/AM-15/12

Abstract - Solar power is a growing source of energy for airports and for their communities. While solar power panels provide a useful means to generate revenue and to provide energy locally, it does pose a potential hazard in the form of glare. In the current study, pilots were exposed to glare during a series of flights in a flight simulator, and their perceived impairment was recorded.

During the approach phase of each flight, we simulated glare from one of four possible angles (0, 25, 50, and 90 deg left of straight ahead) and for glare durations of either 0 (no glare control), 1, and 5 s. The glare was simulated using halogen lamps that, under the lighting conditions of our lab, approximated the visual effect of solar glare. Subjective measures of impairment were recorded for each condition. There was a significant main effect of glare duration and a significant main effect of glare angle.

Impairment was perceived as being worse for glare sources that are straight ahead of the pilot and of longer duration, with a gradual decline in impairment as the glare source moves toward the
Old November 29th 18, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 2:44:10 PM UTC-8, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Flying over lots of solar farms, including some of the "boiler on a stick" type, the only problem I've noticed would be the loss of what could have been landable fields. They often leave long flat areas around the farm, but generally inside the fence so not a good runway.
Standard PV panels don't reflect much. Reflections are worst at the boiler on a stick, surrounded by mirrors. About like the evening sun reflecting off polyhedral wings.
Suprisingly the boilers are not much of a thermal source either.
Jim
Old November 29th 18, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Big solar farm (40 acres? 80?) just east of the airport at Uvalde. Didn't cause anyone any problems during 2016 Sports Nationals. Contrary to a the discussion in a very long thread on RAS last year, it seemed to me to generate a house thermal.
Old November 29th 18, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Similar to what Tony mention about Uvalde, we have a decent sized solar farm off the end of one of our runway in Avenal and it too often is a nice trigger point. I have never had any issue with glare although it is a PV type, not a reflector type.
Old November 29th 18, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Thursday, 29 November 2018 02:27:04 UTC+2, JS wrote:
Suprisingly the boilers are not much of a thermal source either.
Jim

That probably indicates a good design where most of the solar energy is being absorbed by the collector in the tower and since the mirrors on the ground are reflecting most of the sun's energy instead of absorbing it like PV panels, they too are unlikely to generated much thermal activity.
Old November 29th 18, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Just to be clear, this proposed solar farm installation would be based on photovoltaics (PV).

The plan for the farm can be seen at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/SkySoa...ray%20Plan.pdf and http://aviation.derosaweb.net/SkySoa...gle%20Maps.jpg.

Thanks, John OHM Ω
Old November 29th 18, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

We have two large photovoltaic solar farms near our gliderport and they are consistent thermal generators. The panels are fixed and aimed Southwest. I've approached them from all directions and have never seen any glare whatsoever.

A third, larger, field of generators is being installed further south and I'm eager to see how it produces. All of these solar farms are going into played-out orange groves that were unlandable, so there are no downsides to the solar conversion.

Paul A.
Treasure Coast Soaring Club
Vero Beach, FL
Old November 30th 18, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 4:44:10 PM UTC-6, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

John, one of the few good things about living in N. Illinois is the abundance of landable fields at pretty much any time of year. You just keep flying your heading until the wheel turns (don't forget to lower it). There, you landed. Solar fields are more agreeable to soaring than the alternative 500' wind turbines.