High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???)

Old July 8th 03, 07:52 PM
RobertR237

In article , Big John
writes:

I've got a electric (110VAC) leaf blower. If you put a converter on
your dc and came out with 110VAC you could use the electric leaf
blower and not have to worry about the gas leaf blower having altitude
problems (reduced power output) G

Where theres a will, theres a way.

If the leaf blower don't give any engine boost, then it could be used
for pilot cooling on the hot muggy days like we have here in Houston
vs A/C in the bird.

Big John
Pilot, ROC Air Force

On that last one we are in total agreement. Now what is your solution for
removing some of the humidity from that air? I was working in the garage this
morning at 7am and it was so warm and humid that I was having problems with the
sweat pouring off my forehead and streaking my glasses as well as dripping on
the work.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 8th 03, 08:19 PM
Rich S.

"Big John" wrote in message
Rich

Let me try to talk in lay terms (close enough for Government work as
they say) for the great unwashed masses G

snipped cogent explanation of boost

No way will a leaf blower provide enough 'boost' to even offset the
weight of installation.

BJ.......

We are in total agreement. I was saying the same thing - but not as clearly.
{}

Rich S.

Old July 8th 03, 09:28 PM
Morgans

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Morgans" jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet wrote in message
snip
Yes, the blower wooould have lost some of its power compared to sea

level,
but what I would propose is turbo normalizing, so the increased power is

of
no use at sea level. Of course, it could be used to provide a boost for
take off and such.

Now, for all of the "IF"s !!! Not that many induction systems

would
take the added pressure without modification.

resnip

But Jim. . . If the engine is just returned to sea level conditions, where
is the pressure? At your given example of 8000', the manifold pressure

would
still be less than atmospheric pressure, would it not?

Rich S.

I don't see what you don't see.

If there is an effective boost on the engine, the manifold pressure at WOT
will be the same at 8,000 ft as it is at sea level at WOT. An engine at
cruise at sea level will usually run a couple inches less than atmospheric
pressure. A normalized engine would run that same number at altitude, vs.
an un-normalized engine running the atmospheric pressure at that altitude
minus a couple inches pressure.

What was it we were discussing? g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 8th 03, 09:31 PM
Morgans

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Big John" wrote in message
Rich

Let me try to talk in lay terms (close enough for Government work as
they say) for the great unwashed masses G

snipped cogent explanation of boost

No way will a leaf blower provide enough 'boost' to even offset the
weight of installation.

BJ.......

We are in total agreement. I was saying the same thing - but not as

clearly.
{}

Rich S.

As was I, if you caught the drift of all my "IF"s. I wish it would work,
but again, there is no free lunch, and not even a reduced price lunch. g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 8th 03, 11:15 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet writes:

One of my favorite subjects. I'm still young enough to remember how! g

I "will" stop beating this horse. I think it is dead! g
--
Jim in NC

Not only is it dead, it has already been turned into dog food.

Old July 8th 03, 11:17 PM
Del Rawlins

On 08 Jul 2003 10:52 AM, RobertR237 posted the following:

On that last one we are in total agreement. Now what is your solution
for removing some of the humidity from that air? I was working in the
garage this morning at 7am and it was so warm and humid that I was
having problems with the sweat pouring off my forehead and streaking
my glasses as well as dripping on the work.

Move. My garage is comfortable to work in year-round here in Anchorage,
Alaska. Occasionally I have to turn on the heat but it only takes a few
minutes to warm up.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old July 9th 03, 02:59 AM
RobertR237

In article , Del Rawlins
writes:

Move. My garage is comfortable to work in year-round here in Anchorage,
Alaska. Occasionally I have to turn on the heat but it only takes a few
minutes to warm up.

Whoa there pardner...I hates the cold even more than the heat and Alaska it one
cold ass place. Hell, up there my ass would stick to that ICE every time I
tried to slide on it. At this time of year it is very tempting though.

Old July 9th 03, 07:53 AM
Del Rawlins

On 08 Jul 2003 05:59 PM, RobertR237 posted the following:

Whoa there pardner...I hates the cold even more than the heat and
Alaska it one cold ass place. Hell, up there my ass would stick to
that ICE every time I tried to slide on it. At this time of year it
is very tempting though.

Just don't get fishing/hunting season confused with building season and
you will do fine. As for sliding on the ice, hereabouts that is done
through intersections using tires.

Today it got up to over 80, which was semi annoying until we took the
windows out of the Jeep and went for a ride tonight. I'd be happy if it
was always 55-60 degrees, and with enough breeze to keep the skeeters
away.

And then there are always the plusses of having the highest pilot
population per capita, easier to get field approvals, backcountry
airports everywhere, a general public that actually likes small
airplanes, and the best scenery anywhere.

Old July 9th 03, 08:04 AM
Bushy

clip all the crap

What I do here is to put a sprinkler on the roof and run it every time the
roof heats up. It oversprays on three or four sides (depends on hard I turn
it on) of my plane construction shed and as there are no gutters, waters the
gardens around it as well. If the wind is blowing it around, I have to close
the windows on one or two sides, but it's still the best cooling system for
the price I made it for:

1 old sprinkler found in my neighbours shed $0.00
1 garden hose from my neighbours back yard $0.00

At least on the farm, the water is available to do this without any problems
from neighbours or councils......

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old July 9th 03, 12:42 PM
Morgans

"Big John" wrote in message
I'd suggest you get one or two of the 4 foot shop fans that sit on the
floor. When I worked in my shop, they did a pretty good job of keeping
me comfortable.

Big John
Point of the sword

I'll go you one better.

With all the money that is being spent on an airplane, why not spring for
just a little more an put AC in for the shop? Never quit again because of
the temperature, have control over pot times, and I'm sure there are a few
other good reasons.

Now that I have it, I'll never have another shop without it. Spoilt', ya
know! g

Life is to short, too be miserable while you are having fun!
--
Jim in NC