Graphical NOTAMs (not just TFRs)

Old February 14th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Graphical NOTAMs (not just TFRs)

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:46:56 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote in
::

It runs *great*, including this Google Maps NOTAM tool (I'm surprised
that no one, not even the author, mentioned the fact that it's basically
just using the Google Maps API).

It would be interesting to be able to see the NOTAMs against this
aeronautical chart database:
https://aviationtoolbox.org/Members/...s/map_explorer
Old February 14th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
Go visit the Microsoft's Beta newsgroup for IE7. I'm not alone with the
issues.

When you distribute a program to millions of people, there are bound to be
issues that are discovered. That is the whole point of a beta. Duh.

But there's a different between reality and your characterization of the
situation.

It seems that the religious fanatic tag might be placed on someone that
got that worked up over someone questioning the workings of a Beta
program.

That's true. If there were someone around here simply "questioning the
workings of a Beta program", then that might be relevant.

Old February 14th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
Go visit the Microsoft's Beta newsgroup for IE7. I'm not alone with the
issues.

When you distribute a program to millions of people, there are bound to be
issues that are discovered. That is the whole point of a beta. Duh.

But there's a different between reality and your characterization of the
situation.

It seems that the religious fanatic tag might be placed on someone that
got that worked up over someone questioning the workings of a Beta
program.

That's true. If there were someone around here simply "questioning the
workings of a Beta program", then that might be relevant.

Look Peter, I'm not trying to knock MS or IE7. I tried the Beta version on
two different computers both of which are well above the minimum system
requirements and one of which is specifically kept clean to test new
software on. The browser failed within the first 5 minutes of use on both
machines.

This sort of surprised me because MS usually has software much further along
before they open beta it.

Then a poster on this newsgroups chimes in that he is having problems with a
web site and is running IE 7 and I mentioned that his problem might be in
the software and not in the site.

You are now acting like I have some personal issue with MS and IE. Well, I
don't and you need to chill.

Old February 15th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote

My comment about "religious fanatics" was not directed at the users of the
NOTAM mapping software. It was the person who was so quick to jump on IE7
being the culprit in your woes (even though it was obvious that it could

not
possibly have been IE7).

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 15th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I guess it was a different "Gig 601XL Builder" that wrote the following:

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
My bet the problem is with your browser. The Beta IE7.0 is
buggy as hell.

I tried the Beta version on two different computers both of which are well
above the minimum system requirements and one of which is specifically
kept clean to test new software on. The browser failed within the first 5
minutes of use on both machines.

You are one unlucky fellow. However, your own personal experience is hardly
typical, and as "clean" as you'd like to believe your computers are, the
successful experience of millions of people belie your "buggy as hell"
characterization.

This sort of surprised me because MS usually has software much further
along before they open beta it.

Occam's Razor. If your experience does not match your expectations, but
most people's do, perhaps there is something unique to your experience. Why
jump to conclusions, as you have?

Then a poster on this newsgroups chimes in that he is having problems with
a web site and is running IE 7 and I mentioned that his problem might be
in the software and not in the site.

He did not say he is running IE7. He said he's running the most recent IE,
and that he's using Windows 2000. That information is sufficient to tell
you that he is NOT running IE7.

You are now acting like I have some personal issue with MS and IE. Well, I
don't and you need to chill.

Chill? I'm not the one using inflammatory language.

Pete