How to evaluate a respirator? Qualities?

Old May 18th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default How to evaluate a respirator? Qualities?

I"m planning on sandblasting with sand. Worried about cillacosis (sp).
When evaluating a respirator for use in sandblasting with sand, what
characteristics of the mask should I look for? - Mike

Old May 18th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article .com,
"mhorowit" wrote:

I"m planning on sandblasting with sand. Worried about cillacosis (sp).
When evaluating a respirator for use in sandblasting with sand, what
characteristics of the mask should I look for? - Mike

Get a pressure hood instead of a mask. Positive pressure inside the mask
keeps out unwanted gasses and particulate matter.
Old May 18th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"john smith" wrote in message
In article .com,
"mhorowit" wrote:

I"m planning on sandblasting with sand. Worried about cillacosis (sp).
When evaluating a respirator for use in sandblasting with sand, what
characteristics of the mask should I look for? - Mike

Get a pressure hood instead of a mask. Positive pressure inside the mask
keeps out unwanted gasses and particulate matter.

Is the issue here fumes or simply not wanting to inhale dust?

Old May 19th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 18 May 2006 09:17:17 -0700, "mhorowit" wrote:

I"m planning on sandblasting with sand. Worried about cillacosis (sp).
When evaluating a respirator for use in sandblasting with sand, what
characteristics of the mask should I look for? - Mike

IF Silicosis is your only worry any good mask that seals well AND
keeps the dirt out of your eyes will work. However when sand blasting
we are usually removing something and that may be every bit as bad as
the sand.

Normally for sand blasting we wear full hoods with breathing air
supplied. There are *relatively* inexpensive hoods available for
painting and take either tank air or forced air that would work.

You probably know this already but, never use air from a normal
compressor even for a short time. It contains oil vapor and even
carbon monoxide.

I have made my own hood using a pair of garbage bags, a face shield
some Duct tape, sump pump hose and a squirrel cage fan like the ones
used for cooling equipment. I've seen vacuum cleaners used to provide
a *lot* of air, but be careful as some of these may contain a lot of
ozone in the output stream if the motor cooling air is included in the
exhaust.

For a "one off" use or only rarely sand blasting I'd Use the old
"plastic raincoat" trick, tape a face mask to the inside of the
garbage bags. Cut the bag away in front the mask so you can see out.
Cut arm holes in the proper locations. Make the openings snug and
remember the top of the bag goes on top of your head so the arm holes
do not go at the top. Garbage bags are cheap so you can use the old
trial and error method without spending a lot of money.

Using Duct Tape fasten the "air hose" at your waist and just under
your armpits. with the hose (sump hose?) running right up your back
bone and ending behind your head. This pressurizes the entire area
around your head and keeps you breathing clean air. (IF the intake
gets clean air)

I used two lengths of sump hose and a squirrel cage fan. The fan needs
to be well away from where you are working so it doesn't pick up dust,
dirt, or chemicals.

My apologies if you know this already, but don't sandblast inside a
building. It'll create a mess you'll never entirely remove. Do the
work outside so the wind can carry the dust away.

As a note, "sand blasting is NOISY". Even with only 90 psi it's
noisy. Commercial sandblasters are deafening. Get some of the little
ear plugs that you roll up and stick into the ears. You'll be glad you
did.

As a tip, get some Saran Wrap(TM) the kind that sticks to everything.
Cut some a bit larger than the face mask and smooth it over the front
surface. When it gets dirty just peel it off and replace it. I now
have a commercial full breathing hood and it has layers of plastic
over the face plate. When one gets dirty you gab a tab and peel. It's
just like a new face plate and more convenient than the Saran Wrap
(TM) but a lot more expensive.

If you can afford it, for small jobs the sand blasting cabinets are
fantastic but they are rather impractical to purchase for just a few
small jobs. Those work well with "bead blasting" and reclaim the
beads. Still the beads don't last all that long.

Good Luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old May 19th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:08:28 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message
In article .com,
"mhorowit" wrote:

I"m planning on sandblasting with sand. Worried about cillacosis (sp).
When evaluating a respirator for use in sandblasting with sand, what
characteristics of the mask should I look for? - Mike

Get a pressure hood instead of a mask. Positive pressure inside the mask
keeps out unwanted gasses and particulate matter.

Is the issue here fumes or simply not wanting to inhale dust?

Depends on what the OP is blasting on a small scale, but in industry
you wear a full hood even if it's just blasting paint off a bridge.
I'm not sure if that is a Michigan MIOSHA or OSHA reg.

Old May 22nd 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

mhorowit wrote:
I"m planning on sandblasting with sand. Worried about cillacosis (sp).
When evaluating a respirator for use in sandblasting with sand, what
characteristics of the mask should I look for? - Mike

Common sand is mostly crystaline silica (quartz), which is major cause
of cillacosis. Look in your yellow pages under "abrasives" and ask for
Dupont Starblast, which is less than 5% silica (Starblast XL costs a
little more but is less than 1% silica, its what I use). Do a google
search for Dupont Starblast and read about its other advantages. You
can email Dupont to ask closest supplier.

My occupation (cemetery lettering) involves sandblasting and most all
lettercutters I know used to use pressure hoods until they found out
about Starblast. But a good pressure hood is expensive and must have
the supply air run thru a proper filter (such as a Bullard Model 41)
which is heavy,expensive and a pain to lug around from site to site.
Since we found Starblast we just use a good dual cartridge half mask
respirator and a sandblast hood. Search "MSA respirator" and/or look
for them in Lowes or Home Depot.

Rich A.

Old May 28th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:08:28 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message
In article .com,
"mhorowit" wrote:

I"m planning on sandblasting with sand. Worried about cillacosis (sp).
When evaluating a respirator for use in sandblasting with sand, what
characteristics of the mask should I look for? - Mike

Get a pressure hood instead of a mask. Positive pressure inside the mask
keeps out unwanted gasses and particulate matter.

Is the issue here fumes or simply not wanting to inhale dust?

dust- Mike