I give up, after many, many years!

Old May 13th 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
More_Flaps

Default I give up, after many, many years!

On May 13, 6:16*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
More_Flaps wrote :

On May 13, 10:37*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On May 12, 5:11*pm, More_Flaps wrote:

On May 13, 9:51*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

More_Flaps writes:
I think you are MXing up an ad hominem with simple personal
attack.

Same thing.

Nope.

Not to nit-pick, but:

"Ad hominem has also recently acquired a use as a noun denoting
personal attacks, as in "Notwithstanding all the ad hominem, Gingrich
insists that he and Panetta can work together" (Washington Post)"

Here you go, a better definition than the washington pist:

"Ad hominem arguments are always invalid in syllogistic logic, since
the truth value of premises is taken as given, and the validity of a
logical inference is independent of the person making the inference.
However, ad hominem arguments are rarely presented as formal
syllogisms, and their assessment lies in the domain of informal logic
and the theory of evidence.[1] The theory of evidence depends to a
large degree on assessments of the credibility of witnesses, including
eyewitness evidence and expert witness evidence. Evidence that a
purported eyewitness is unreliable, or has a motive for lying, or that
a purported expert witness lacks the claimed expertise can play a
major role in making judgements from evidence.
Argumentum ad hominem is the inverse of argumentum ad verecundiam, in
which the arguer bases the truth value of an assertion on the
authority, knowledge or position of the person asserting it. Hence,
while an ad hominem argument may make an assertion less compelling, by
showing that the person making the assertion does not have the
authority, knowledge or position they claim, or has made mistaken
assertions on similar topics in the past, it cannot provide an
infallible counterargument."

Cheers

The guy who wrote that is an asshole.

You know him/her?

Cheers

Old May 13th 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

More_Flaps wrote in
:

On May 13, 6:16*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
More_Flaps wrote
innews:1d5a7be3-2bc1-461d-ac47-c4e9

:

More_Flaps writes:
[...]

I'm a pearl before swine..

Bertie
Old May 13th 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
More_Flaps

More_Flaps writes:
[...]

Sorry, I thought you were being a "master troll". In any case, that
should be an opal before bunyi.

Cheers
Old May 13th 08, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:09:10 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

One of my favorite quotations of all time is this. Gregory Peck, when he
had just hit the big time in the early fifties, and his gang showed up
at a fancy restaurant. The Maitre'd informed them it would be some time
before they could be seated. One of his entourage stepped up to the
Maitre'd and said, excuse me, but do you know who this is?" Peck pulled
him aside and said to him "If ya gotta tell 'em who you are, you ain't"
I think of this every time I see a guy with watch with 47 functions on
it.

Bertie

my criteria for a flying watch was borne of absolute necessity. it is
that the face is plain enough that I can reliably read the time in no
more than a glance. ...because that is as long a period as you get.

my 3 watches are in the seconds per week accuracy range, quartz
movements, all three cost under $75 and in fact two of them together
cost under $60.

they are actual flying watches.

I've never been able to ever get anyone to believe me that that is
actually what you need in a flying watch.
two were made by loris and one by swatch.

how the hell could you ever read a 47 function watch in teeth shaking
turbulence?
zulu time in the little window???? that's what the watch on the odd
side wrist is set to!

Stealth Pilot
Old May 13th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Stealth Pilot wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Well, I only use the airplane's clock in flight, and there's precious
little need for that these days ( I was recently asked why I punch the
stopwatch passing the marker by a training captain not too long ago) The
wris****ch is only as a backup in flight. It doesn't have a stop watch
function at all, though I probably would have one if the airplane didn't
have one for flying instruments.

Bertie
Old May 13th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

More_Flaps wrote in
:

On May 13, 7:17*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
More_Flaps wrote
innews:33a93fff-3e7f-4e94-b273-8e7e

:

More_Flaps writes:
[...]

I was! It's a fukkin joke!

Bertie
Old May 13th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On May 13, 6:01*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Well, I only use the airplane's clock in flight, and there's precious
little need for that these days ( I was recently asked why I punch the
stopwatch passing the marker by a training captain not too long ago) The
wris****ch is only as a backup in flight. It doesn't have a stop watch
function at all, though I probably would have one if the airplane didn't
have one for flying instruments.

The Boeings have nice clocks although like you said, they dont get
used much. All the holds are DME based and I cant remember the last
time anyone here timed an approach. I do wear a $30 timex, but thats
just to make sure I show up on time. It is actually a whatch someone
on this list recomended (I knew I wasnt just waisting my time on this
list).
F Baum
Old May 13th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

More_Flaps writes:

Nope, still not the same -as supported by the reference you gave. Ad
hominem is an abbreviation for Argumentum ad hominem ...

= argument against the man (personal attack)
Old May 13th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stealth Pilot writes:

my criteria for a flying watch was borne of absolute necessity. it is
that the face is plain enough that I can reliably read the time in no
more than a glance. ...because that is as long a period as you get.

Interesting ... that'll make a good topic for discussion; I'll try it.
Old May 13th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Stealth Pilot wrote:

how the hell could you ever read a 47 function watch in teeth shaking
turbulence?
zulu time in the little window???? that's what the watch on the odd
side wrist is set to!

Stealth Pilot

My wife got me a Citizen this Christmas nice BIG numbers with for hands
on it. The three obvious plus a fourth smaller that points at the
imbeded zulu scale. I like it a lot. Very easy to read (except the
date)under all conditions short of long term total darkness.

DC-3 parts to give away Robert Little Restoration 2 November 23rd 06 03:30 AM
Who can give a checkout? Mark S Conway General Aviation 2 May 9th 05 12:15 AM
Winch give-away KP Soaring 6 January 11th 05 08:04 PM
Did you ever give up on an IR? No Such User Piloting 24 November 26th 03 02:45 PM
FS 2004 give away Ozzie M Simulators 0 November 23rd 03 03:50 PM