Wind!

Old March 20th 04, 10:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Wind!

Gusts to 50 here today. The 99s, scheduled to hold their meeting here
today, had only two people able to attend -- and they drove!

I've never seen a windier March -- we've had winds consistently over 30 most
days.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 20th 04, 11:38 PM
Dave Stadt

Same here...didn't stop a friend from dropping in in his 140 hp Cessna 120.
The takeoff and climb out was beyond belief.

Old March 21st 04, 12:45 AM
BTIZ

in like a lion... out like a lamb..

hit 91F here today.. took an early morning x-c from LAS to SGU with touches
at 67L and U08

no wind

BT

Old March 21st 04, 05:02 AM
Bob Fry

Mild winds, temps in mid 80s, visibility 50+ miles.

Great flying weather for an Aircoupe....canopy back, enjoying the
view.
Old March 21st 04, 01:25 PM
Nathan Young

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:44:01 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Gusts to 50 here today. The 99s, scheduled to hold their meeting here
today, had only two people able to attend -- and they drove!

I've never seen a windier March -- we've had winds consistently over 30 most
days.

I've had it with this freaking wind. Even when it has been warm
enough to go outside, the windchill makes it feel well below freezing.

At least the wind has generally been from the West, and I'm based at
an E-W runway, so flying is still possible.

-Nathan

Old March 21st 04, 02:13 PM
Dylan Smith

In article RO37c.49481$1p.824062@attbi_s54, Jay Honeck wrote:
I've never seen a windier March -- we've had winds consistently over 30 most
days.

Should spend a bit of time here. We've had several days with winds
gusting to 55. It's quite common in the winter for us to get storms with
hurricane force winds. That's why my house has 3 foot thick stone walls
:-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 21st 04, 02:15 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Dave Stadt wrote:
Same here...didn't stop a friend from dropping in in his 140 hp Cessna 120.
The takeoff and climb out was beyond belief.

When I flew my 85hp Cessna 140 across the mid-West in May 2002, the
winds were a sustained 40 knots or so. The landing wasn't hard (how can
it be when your landing roll is all of five feet?) - it was taxiing
which was difficult.

I think the FBO guys were quite used to this. They grabbed a strut each
and helped me taxi in and tie down.

Old March 21st 04, 03:07 PM
Michelle P

Jay,
The wind is blowing here in the mid-atlantic as well. You could turn a
152 into a kite if you had a long enough rope ;-)

Michelle

Jay Honeck wrote:

Gusts to 50 here today. The 99s, scheduled to hold their meeting here
today, had only two people able to attend -- and they drove!

I've never seen a windier March -- we've had winds consistently over 30 most
days.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old March 21st 04, 03:25 PM
Jay Honeck

The wind is blowing here in the mid-atlantic as well. You could turn a
152 into a kite if you had a long enough rope ;-)

Along with the wind naturally comes some bizarre weather patterns.

Five days ago we were hit with 8 inches of snow. Two days ago it was 60,
and all the snow was instantly gone.

Now it's 25, sunny, and calm. You never know what coat to wear, from day
to day.

But it's flying weather! :-)
--
Jay Honeck