Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old April 1st 20, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

I think he jumped the gun (pun intended) ... not April 1st yet.
Old April 1st 20, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 6:31:44 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Actually this is kind of a funny thread! Coronavirus has certainly taken the spotlight off gun control. I don’t carry in my glider. But it’s a thought. I prefer the plastic fantastic Glock. It’s really easy to train family members on. If it was just me I would probably carry a custom 1911.

I've been trying to figure out how I'd carry a G20 (10mm) on my person while flying. I live in bear country, and a land-out in the woods could have some extra danger. I thought about using a Hill People Gear kit bag, but it is positioned in just the wrong place where it blocks access to the D-ring of the rip chord of my parachute. A drop leg holster would interfere with access to the elevator trim. And appendix carry would crunch the nuts. I may have to consider an ankle holster, but a G20 doesn't fit real well down there either. Thoughts?
Old April 1st 20, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Longley wrote:
Actually this is kind of a funny thread! Coronavirus has certainly

taken
=
the spotlight off gun control. I don=E2=80=99t carry in my glider.

But it=
=E2=80=99s a thought. I prefer the plastic fantastic Glock.

It=E2=80=99s
[...]

You thinking of shooting at a bear with a pistol? In my very limited
experience pistols are not that accurate and you might end up just
irritating the bear. Even if you hit it. My recommendation would be
at least a 50 cal or better yet a good pair of running shoes.

Old April 1st 20, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 01 Apr 2020 07:46:07 +0000, Don Johnstone wrote:

You thinking of shooting at a bear with a pistol? In my very limited
experience pistols are not that accurate and you might end up just
irritating the bear. Even if you hit it. My recommendation would be at
least a 50 cal or better yet a good pair of running shoes.

With sharpened spikes for improved tree-climbing speed?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 1st 20, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thats ok, sorry to hear u feel that way Lou, but I’m pretty sure you don’t speak for the majority of guys up north. You really don’t know what your missing. If you want to stay up north and enjoy those long cold nasty winters just because you have an issue with law abiding gun owners who support the second amendment, we’ll to each their own. I am sure we have enough sensible folks down this way that will be sure to keep treasure coast plenty busy.

I don't have an issue with law abiding gun owners. But I have an issue with a few here who are continuously airing their political views, and disparaging and name-calling those with other political views. This is a newsgroup that is supposed to discuss soaring. The soaring community is small enough as it is. If we want to keep it going please keep politics out of it.
Old April 1st 20, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I don’t know maybe put something in the glider. If you have to bail out hope you land near the glider. I grew up in Alaska. It’s possible to kill a bear with a pistol but it’s pretty sporty. I had friends that did it. We usually carried .44 magnum wheel guns while hiking.

When I was flying Twin Otters on the North Slope. There was a story floating around about a guy at one of the DEW Line sights killing a Polar Bear that broke in with a 9 mm. Don’t know if it’s true.

Of course you could take my copilots position. We were in Kaktovik (Barter Island on the Canadian border) I had forgotten my .44. There was a couple of Polar Bears milling around close by. My copilot carried a 9 mm. I asked him if he thought he could kill a Polar Bear with his 9 mm. He told me he didn’t need to he would just shoot me in the leg and stay ahead of me....
Old April 1st 20, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Maybe that little texas 45 cal derringer would be just the ticket for packing inflight. It depends on you being a good shot and being pretty close however lol.
Dan
Old April 1st 20, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And as for the 9mm, always thought that is just way too light a load for anything. Need at least 40 or bigger. Its like comparing glide ratios, isn’t there always an advantage having a 40/1 ventus vs a 22/1 1-26? LOL.. Yes, some of us enjoy the challenge of working great things with the low performance birds, but the “bigger caliber” ones make for less stressful flying when over tiger or bear country, be it terrain or animal lol.
Old April 1st 20, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Your story reminds me of a decades old "joke"......I don't need running shoes to outrun a bear/big cat.....I just need to outrun YOU!

Agreed, not something needed to know in eastern US...but sorta fun (for those with running shoes) as well as sorta worthwhile.....

Things we bring up in this "crappy time on the planet"......sigh....
Old April 1st 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

We were in Kaktovik (Barter Island on the Canadian border) I had forgotten my .44. There was a couple of Polar Bears milling around close by. My copilot carried a 9 mm. I asked him if he thought he could kill a Polar Bear with his 9 mm. He told me he didn’t need to he would just shoot me in the leg and stay ahead of me...

Now that's funny.
ROY