was the F-14 ever used in Vietnam ?

Old March 11th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,alt.war.vietnam
Sprite Scaler

Default was the F-14 ever used in Vietnam ?

I wanted to know if the F-14 Tomcat was used at all in the Vietnam
war, even if it was limited, and towards the end of the war ?

the Tomcat was designed in the late 1960s, entered service in the
early 1970s (correct me if that's not so). The war stretched until
what, 1972-1973. but then there was the final exit before the north
took Saigon in1975 (again, correct me if i'm wrong on that)... so to
me it's conceivable that the Tomcat could've been used late in Nam.

Old March 11th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,alt.war.vietnam
Andrew Venor

Sprite Scaler wrote:

I wanted to know if the F-14 Tomcat was used at all in the Vietnam
war, even if it was limited, and towards the end of the war ?

the Tomcat was designed in the late 1960s, entered service in the
early 1970s (correct me if that's not so). The war stretched until
what, 1972-1973. but then there was the final exit before the north
took Saigon in1975 (again, correct me if i'm wrong on that)... so to
me it's conceivable that the Tomcat could've been used late in Nam.

The F-14 entered service in September 1974 with VF-1 Wolfpack and VF-2
Bounty Hunters. Those squadrons flying off the USS Enterprise flew CAP
over Saigon during the evacuation in April 1975. Aside from that the
Tomcat did not participate in the Vietnam War.

ALV
Old March 11th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,alt.war.vietnam
Flashnews

1st Tomcat Cruise on Enterprise with VF-1 and VF-2 went to SEA I think
participated in the fall of Saigon

ps.com...

Old March 11th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,alt.war.vietnam
Bill Shatzer

Sprite Scaler wrote:

I wanted to know if the F-14 Tomcat was used at all in the Vietnam
war, even if it was limited, and towards the end of the war ?

Apparently a few F-14As from USS Enterprise flew top cover during the
final evacuation in 1975. No combat resulted.

That seems to have been the sole time they were used during the VN war.

Cheers,