Glider Fire Sale

Old May 8th 20, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Fire Sale

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 10:16:56 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2020 06:51:56 -0700, greggballou wrote:

Here is what the architect of the global shutdown has been up to,
doesn't sound like he believes in his own medicine:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-advice-led-

lockdown-QUITS-breaking-restrictions-meet-married-lover.html

If you believe anything you see in the Daily Fail, then you'll definitely
want to buy this bridge I happen to own across the East River in NYC.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Nice try. Same story in the telegraph link below. No idea of the hierarchy of British newspapers, story also covered by CNN, BBC, and a bunch of other normal outlets. Mr Lockdown doesn't believe in your new religion even though he created it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...igns-breaking/
Old May 8th 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 13:51 08 May 2020, wrote:
On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 10:48:43 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy

wrote:
Not quite sure I'd call it a MASSIVE fire sale but I believe prices

will
=
be coming down, quite a bit, on used ships.
Huge unemployment is here now and getting worse daily, and its

only I'm
a=
fraid to get much worse over the Next 6 months. When you can't

pay your
man=
datory food, power=20
wifi trash rent mortgage car payment that asset you have for

recreation
h=
as got to go and fast.
This Virus is likely to be with us for at least 20-24 months IMHO,

we've
=
got to get used to it
One thing for sure; It is very contagious and now it is

everywhere.
Nick

No it isn't going to be with us for 20-24 months. But they will

keep
telli=
ng us that to keep us under house arrest. And if it is 'very

contagious'
a=
s you say everyone is going to get it anyway so start the world,

mourn the
=
dead, celebrate the newborns and get on with it. People need to

think for
=
themselves. Your precious experts are clowns. Here is what the

architect
=

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...21/Scientist-=
advice-led-lockdown-QUITS-breaking-restrictions-meet-married-

lover.html

You really must explain how you do it

Old May 8th 20, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 08 May 2020 10:54:56 -0700, greggballou wrote:

Nice try. Same story in the telegraph link below.

That was a general observation, not specifically about that story. The
Sun, Daily Fail and the Torygraph are not news sources I trust.

If its on BBC Radio Four or in New Scientist its probably true.

Mr Lockdown doesn't believe in your new
religion even though he created it.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ve-government-
scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/

Thats a common problem with some elements of UK government and senior
civil servants: they are so far up their own arses they don't think the
rules they impose can possibly apply to themselves.

But don't make the mistake of thinking that this necessarily makes their
science invalid if they're scientists. Thats unlikely because peer review
is a fairly good way of keeping scientists honest. Mistakes and fraud
WILL be remembered. Remember Andrew Wakefield of MMR infamy? He's
thoroughly discredited these days and ignored by everybody outside the
lunatic fringe.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 8th 20, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 1:41:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 10:54:54 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 9:52:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 10:48:43 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Not quite sure I'd call it a MASSIVE fire sale but I believe prices will be coming down, quite a bit, on used ships.
Huge unemployment is here now and getting worse daily, and its only I'm afraid to get much worse over the Next 6 months. When you can't pay your mandatory food, power
wifi trash rent mortgage car payment that asset you have for recreation has got to go and fast.
This Virus is likely to be with us for at least 20-24 months IMHO, we've got to get used to it
One thing for sure; It is very contagious and now it is everywhere.
Nick

No it isn't going to be with us for 20-24 months. But they will keep telling us that to keep us under house arrest. And if it is 'very contagious' as you say everyone is going to get it anyway so start the world, mourn the dead, celebrate the newborns and get on with it. People need to think for themselves. Your precious experts are clowns. Here is what the architect of the global shutdown has been up to, doesn't sound like he believes in his own medicine: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ied-lover.html

If you really think it is all a joke and/or fake, do us all a favor and volunteer in a hospital in NYC - and proudly decline any PPE. Walk right in wearing your swim-trunks and flip-flops and tend to those in the ICU. Let us know how it works out for you!

Uli
'AS'

Hospitals are empty and going broke. The death toll from poverty is going to outstrip the virus by many many times. If you believe, the answer is simple stay home and stay scared. If you need anything just remember the world might be too scared or legally unable to help you out.

Time for your meds and your tin foil hat ....

Uli
'AS'
Old May 8th 20, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 2:34:46 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Sad story and maybe somebody can help....

In early February, a good friend was killed in his AC-4C Russia glider. Now I'm helping his wife through some of the process of selling some of his outstanding equipment:

1. A meticulous trailer.
2. An unfinished AC-4C kit, still in the crate, that came from Aviastroitel in Russia. The plan was for his brother to complete the kit (sadly, his brother passed away from cancer a couple of years ago). I think it's taking up space in the barn....you would need a flat bed truck/trailer to move this thing. I DO NOT think it was a perfect kit...there maybe have been defects in the factory assembly of wings (maybe curing rates? maybe molds, I don't exactly know). However, parts wise, you'd have a set of never-used flight controls, linkage, seat pan, etc.

Looking for advice on selling, pricing, and maybe somebody would want the kit....probably a current owner of an AC-4 that has space.

Kindly,
Erik van Weezendonk
Northern Virginia

PM'd you, but haven't heard back.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 9th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think in this specific case, however, Neil Ferguson has a bit of a reputation for getting it not only wrong but way wrong. For example:

He was behind research resulting in the destruction of 11 million sheep and cattle during the 2001 outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. He also predicted that 150,000 people could die.

Predicted in 2002 that up to 50,000 people would die from mad cow disease in beef. In the U.K., there were only 177 deaths from mad cow.

Predicted in 2005 that up to 150 million people would be killed from bird flu. Reality was that only 282 people died worldwide from the disease between 2003 and 2009.

Ferguson’s advice in 2009 said a ‘reasonable worst-case scenario’ was that the swine flu would kill 65,000 Brits. Reality was that swine flu killed 457 people in the U.K.

Pretty hard to take such a guy seriously but that's exactly what happened when he said there would be 2.2 million dead in USA and 500,000 dead in UK. Oops, missed it by "that" much...

Old May 9th 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 11:11:35 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
Dang it! Got my hopes up that the sale was starting :-)

Steve Leonard
CEO of Steve's Home for Wayward Gliders

You know the US DOJ still has an anti-trust and monopoly division, right?

LOoooOOL
Old May 9th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 08 May 2020 17:03:58 -0700, resigler wrote:

I think in this specific case, however, Neil Ferguson has a bit of a
reputation for getting it not only wrong but way wrong. For example:

Fair comment. I don't remember hearing his name before he popped up this
time.

He was behind research resulting in the destruction of 11 million sheep
and cattle during the 2001 outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. He also
predicted that 150,000 people could die.

I'm uncertain whether he was right or not about the foot & mouth cull. It
certainly spread very rapidly (and stopped all gliding apart from local
flying). Certainly it would have been unwise to eat anything that came
off infected farms, so from that POV, animals that couldn't be eaten had
to be killed and disposed of alongside the large number that the F&M
killed: it was very contagious anfd stock were never allowed off infected
farms.

But I don't recall much concern that it was likely to spread to people.
Yes, there was a clamp-down on rural travel, but that was more to stop
F&M spreading to other farms then from worries that people might catch it.

There was what seemed like an inordinate number of farm animals being
swapped and generally trucked round between farms in the run-up to that
F&M epidemic. Do you know if he said anything about that?

Predicted in 2002 that up to 50,000 people would die from mad cow
disease in beef. In the U.K., there were only 177 deaths from mad cow.

Now that was a rum do, and almost entirely due to the practise of feeding
bits of slaughtered animals to other herbivorous animals. Again, I don't
recall anything being attributed to him - just that the perps seem to
have all got off rather lightly.

Predicted in 2005 that up to 150 million people would be killed from
bird flu. Reality was that only 282 people died worldwide from the
disease between 2003 and 2009.

Ferguson’s advice in 2009 said a ‘reasonable worst-case scenario’ was
that the swine flu would kill 65,000 Brits. Reality was that swine flu
killed 457 people in the U.K.

Pretty hard to take such a guy seriously but that's exactly what
happened when he said there would be 2.2 million dead in USA and 500,000
dead in UK. Oops, missed it by "that" much...

The real question seems to be not how could he be so wrong, but why did
he ever rise to the prominence he achieved recently. Maybe nothing more
worthy than Buggins Turn: if you stay in the civil service long enough
and suck up to enough of your superiors you'll rise, like scum, to the
surface.

I've had contracts in various departments, so have seen their top people
in action: they aren't all that impressive when seen from the bottom.
Gilbert & Sullivan had it spot on when they wrote "Pinafore" and included
the couplet:

So stick tight to your desks and never go to sea,
And you're sure to be the ruler of the Queen's Nayvee

Looks like some things never change.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 9th 20, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Frank,

Sorry, somebody else just said you were looking for me...and I never saw it.. Weird.

Anyway, if you’d like to talk about the Russia or the trailer, reach out to me at 703-786-0553 or via my normal email at .

Really sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Erik
Old May 9th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
b4soaring

What the predictions said was "if we do nothing, something bad will happen, but only if we do nothing.

Something is then done.

Something bad doesn't happen, at least not quite so bad.

It doesn't mean the predictions were wrong, just that the worst case scenarios were prevented:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqzicvDVcKg

On Saturday, 9 May 2020 01:04:01 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Glider Van for sale [email protected] Soaring 2 December 25th 19 12:21 AM
GLIDER 4 SALE BobD Soaring 0 March 16th 14 08:45 PM
Glider for Sale 5 ugly Soaring 1 December 8th 13 12:57 AM
64 182 EMERGENCY FIRE SALE NOW Victor Bravo Instrument Flight Rules 0 December 15th 10 07:20 PM
Fire protection system for sale [email protected] Soaring 0 April 7th 06 09:15 PM