Gasoline "Snow"?

Old December 19th 04, 01:40 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Remember that your fuel that morning was probably colder than it had
ever been since it was made at a refinery in some warmer climate. For
that reason I add a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to my fuel
whenever the local temps go below freezing.

Really?

I guess this throws out my concerns about finding alcohol in my mogas!

Jay, if you have any sense, you're looking for (and trying to avoid) *ethanol*
in your gas, not isoproply.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 19th 04, 01:46 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Given that the chunk of ice was white instead of 100LL blue (or you use
red gasoline, don't you?) I suspect that it is water that merely smells
like
gasoline.

Well, minimum octane for a '74 Cherokee 235 was 80/87, but I'll bet he uses
far more blue gas than red.

Old December 19th 04, 04:05 AM
Jay Honeck

Well, minimum octane for a '74 Cherokee 235 was 80/87, but I'll bet he
uses far more blue gas than red.

Mogas is my fuel of choice. It does leave kind of a red stain -- not as red
as 80 octane used to, but still reddish.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 19th 04, 04:07 AM
Jay Honeck

Jay, if you have any sense, you're looking for (and trying to avoid)
*ethanol*
in your gas, not isoproply.

Aren't they *both* unapproved for use in aircraft engines?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 19th 04, 04:09 AM
nrp

By "small amount" of isopropyl alcohol (in a yellow container if you
use the illegal automotive stuff) I mean only a couple tablespoons to a
tank full. Not a 10 percent slug of ethanol like the gasohol crud.

Old December 19th 04, 08:28 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Aren't they *both* unapproved for use in aircraft engines?

Check your STC. IIRC, the one I had for my C-150 forbad ethanol.

Old December 19th 04, 11:05 PM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 04:07:21 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Jay, if you have any sense, you're looking for (and trying to avoid)
*ethanol*
in your gas, not isoproply.

Aren't they *both* unapproved for use in aircraft engines?

You have to do some digging, but you can find an instruction from TCM
specifying the usage of alcohol to prevent the formation of ice
crystals in aviation gasoline. Have never found a similiar statement
from Lycoming.

However, Lo-Flo Prist is approved for both. If I'm not mistaken it is
not alcohol based, but is also intended for use in aviation fuels to
prevent the formation of ice crystals.

http://www.csdinc.org/prist/faq.html

Looks like Prist is "diethylene glycol monomethyl ether".

TC
Old December 23rd 04, 04:45 PM
Jay Somerset

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:28:16 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Remember that your fuel that morning was probably colder than it had
ever been since it was made at a refinery in some warmer climate. For
that reason I add a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to my fuel
whenever the local temps go below freezing.

Really?

I guess this throws out my concerns about finding alcohol in my mogas!

Different type of alcohol. The stuff in gasoline is usually ethanol.
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is better at pulling water into solution in a gas
tank.

Winter in Michigan Roger Owning 8 January 28th 05 06:24 PM
Snow... Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 28th 04 07:26 PM
flying in snow Teacherjh Piloting 17 March 22nd 04 05:05 PM
$3.00 a gallon gasoline by summer(read all of this, it just might work) Fastglasair Home Built 8 March 10th 04 12:12 AM
Weight of snow on wings Michael Horowitz Home Built 10 January 4th 04 10:58 PM