What's a CARF?

Old December 21st 03, 03:06 PM
Tony Cox

Default What's a CARF?

Here's something I've never seen in a DUATS
briefing before. Can someone enlighten me?

Oakland Center (Fremont CA) [ZOA]: December NOTAM #105 issued by Central
Alt Res Fac CA [CARF]
Central Altitude Reservation Facility notice number 1275 on Bravo
stationary reservation within an area bounded by 4040N 12710W 4040N 13200W
3730N 13200W 3730N 12710W. surface - FL200 will be effective December 22nd,
2003 at 12:30 PM PST (0312222030) - December 22nd, 2003 at 03:30 PM PST
(0312222330)

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old December 21st 03, 03:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
. net...

Here's something I've never seen in a DUATS
briefing before. Can someone enlighten me?

Oakland Center (Fremont CA) [ZOA]: December NOTAM #105 issued by Central
Alt Res Fac CA [CARF]
Central Altitude Reservation Facility notice number 1275 on Bravo
stationary reservation within an area bounded by 4040N 12710W 4040N 13200W
3730N 13200W 3730N 12710W. surface - FL200 will be effective December

22nd,
2003 at 12:30 PM PST (0312222030) - December 22nd, 2003 at 03:30 PM PST
(0312222330)

CARF is Central Altitude Reservation Facility, they set up ALTRVs, Altitude
Reservations. From the Pilot/Controller Glossary:
ALTITUDE RESERVATION- Airspace utilization under prescribed conditions
normally employed for the mass movement of aircraft or other special user
requirements which cannot otherwise be accomplished. ALTRVs are approved by
the appropriate FAA facility.

It doesn't say it in that explanation, but the aircraft referred to are
military aircraft. At least every ALTRV I've seen was for military
aircraft, I suppose they could also be used for civil aircraft under
military contract.

Old December 21st 03, 05:06 PM
Tony Cox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

So what the NOTAM is saying, then, is that I should look
out for a swarm of aircraft between the surface and 20,000'
over an area of some 40,000 sq. miles for 3 hours.

Sounds pretty serious. Think I'll stay on the ground.

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old December 21st 03, 05:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

So what the NOTAM is saying, then, is that I should look
out for a swarm of aircraft between the surface and 20,000'
over an area of some 40,000 sq. miles for 3 hours.

Sounds pretty serious. Think I'll stay on the ground.

Whatever you think is best. What would have caused you to fly that far off
the coast anyway? Do you run some kind of fish-spotting business?

Old December 21st 03, 05:26 PM
BTIZ

looked to me like it was way out over the north pacific also.. you don't
need charts to figure that out... must be some type of Navy exercise with
some gunnery going also..

BT

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

link.net...

Old December 21st 03, 05:34 PM
Tony Cox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

So what the NOTAM is saying, then, is that I should look
out for a swarm of aircraft between the surface and 20,000'
over an area of some 40,000 sq. miles for 3 hours.

Sounds pretty serious. Think I'll stay on the ground.

Whatever you think is best. What would have caused you to fly that far

off
the coast anyway? Do you run some kind of fish-spotting business?

Hah! More fool me for thinking the NOTAM was
relevant! I got that asking for a briefing from Las Vegas
to Death Valley, without asking for flow control or
non-associated FDC NOTAMS.

Old December 21st 03, 06:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BTIZ" wrote in message

looked to me like it was way out over the north pacific also.. you don't
need charts to figure that out... must be some type of Navy exercise with
some gunnery going also..

I'm just eyeballing it, but I'd say it's at least 100 miles off the northern
California Coast at its closest point. Since it only extends up to FL 200
it's not going to affect many civil aircraft, if any.

Old December 21st 03, 06:11 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

Hah! More fool me for thinking the NOTAM was
relevant! I got that asking for a briefing from Las Vegas
to Death Valley, without asking for flow control or
non-associated FDC NOTAMS.

Seems like the briefer is a bit weak on latitude and longitude.

Old December 21st 03, 06:23 PM
Tony Cox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

Hah! More fool me for thinking the NOTAM was
relevant! I got that asking for a briefing from Las Vegas
to Death Valley, without asking for flow control or
non-associated FDC NOTAMS.

Seems like the briefer is a bit weak on latitude and longitude.

Not really. It was DUATS from the web. And I should have
realized that the lat/long made it irrelevant.

Shouldn't they just establish a "Warning" area instead of this
obscure CARF thinggy?

Old December 21st 03, 06:43 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
news

Not really. It was DUATS from the web. And I should have
realized that the lat/long made it irrelevant.

Oh? Is that normal for DUATS? Does it always provide NOTAMs nowhere near
your route of flight?

Shouldn't they just establish a "Warning" area instead of this
obscure CARF thinggy?

Warning Areas are charted, but this area appears to be off the charts. The
charts that are normally used by civil pilots anyway.