Avionics Build It Yourself Manuals

Old April 27th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

Default Avionics Build It Yourself Manuals

So for 35 years now we've been putting out our kits with two printed manuals
per kit ... a
"operations and maintenance" and a "construction and assembly" manual. Each
of which costs us about $2 a manual. Not a big deal.

I've got a wild hair that we can put out a digital CDROM set of manuals that
will give COLOR pictures, video "how to", and a lot of other stuff on the
CDROM.

The other person in the company says that you all want print manuals.

Please vote:

1. I want a print (paper) set of manuals with my kit.

2. I want a CDROM with my kit that I can print out myself.

3. I want you to increase the cost of the kit by $5 and include both print
and CDROM with every kit.

Please, no other permutations. Print or CDROM. No other choices.

Jim

Old April 27th 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

RST Engineering wrote:

So for 35 years now we've been putting out our kits with two printed manuals
per kit ... a
"operations and maintenance" and a "construction and assembly" manual. Each
of which costs us about $2 a manual. Not a big deal.

I've got a wild hair that we can put out a digital CDROM set of manuals that
will give COLOR pictures, video "how to", and a lot of other stuff on the
CDROM.

The other person in the company says that you all want print manuals.

Please vote:

1. I want a print (paper) set of manuals with my kit.

2. I want a CDROM with my kit that I can print out myself.

3. I want you to increase the cost of the kit by $5 and include both print
and CDROM with every kit.

Please, no other permutations. Print or CDROM. No other choices.

Jim

Print schematics - or at least printable schematics.
Beyond that, CD all the way....

Besides, once the material is gathered and organized,
production costs for CD vs paper is quite attractive.

Well?
You asked.

Richard

Old April 27th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
.. .

1. I want a print (paper) set of manuals with my kit.

2. I want a CDROM with my kit that I can print out myself.

3. I want you to increase the cost of the kit by $5 and include both

print
and CDROM with every kit.

Please, no other permutations. Print or CDROM. No other choices.

Given only these choices, I would choose #1.

If I were allowed permutations, I would choose the option of adding a CD to
my order for an additional $5, but I'm not allowed permutations.

Old April 27th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

Please vote:

1. I want a print (paper) set of manuals with my kit.

2. I want a CDROM with my kit that I can print out myself.

3. I want you to increase the cost of the kit by $5 and include both print
and CDROM with every kit.

(3)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 27th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:41:37 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

So for 35 years now we've been putting out our kits with two printed manuals
per kit ... a
"operations and maintenance" and a "construction and assembly" manual. Each
of which costs us about $2 a manual. Not a big deal.

I've got a wild hair that we can put out a digital CDROM set of manuals that
will give COLOR pictures, video "how to", and a lot of other stuff on the
CDROM.

The other person in the company says that you all want print manuals.

Please vote:

1. I want a print (paper) set of manuals with my kit.

2. I want a CDROM with my kit that I can print out myself.

3. I want you to increase the cost of the kit by $5 and include both print
and CDROM with every kit.

Please, no other permutations. Print or CDROM. No other choices.

Jim

Hi Jim I built one of your intercoms and a couple pair of headsets
about 10 years ago. I found the printed instructions to be very well
done and easy to follow even for me ( totally clueless about
electronics ) That said move with the times and go with the CD an
instructional video can only make it easier
Old April 27th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

Jim..

As a customer who has paid for and built both your audio panel and
your marker beacon reciever, I WOULD LOVE the ability to have your
manual in digital form.

Will you consider making it available to your prior customers?

Definite vote FOR the CD ROM.

The vast majority of your present and future customers are computer
based. It shouldnt be a stretch to presume they have CD drive.

Dave

Old April 27th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

Jim,

Maybe I'm just old (okay, I *am* old) but I vote for #1. For
relatively simple kits #2 is okay, but a lot of manuals (both assembly
and operation) need color and that's still something not every one can
easily print out themselves. For the assembly manual, I consider that
hardcopy on the desk is the ONLY way to go (whether you provide it or
they print it out themselves).

jmk (and veteran of a lot of Heathkits in my early years
G).

Old April 27th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

RST Engineering wrote:

Please vote:

1. I want a print (paper) set of manuals with my kit.

2. I want a CDROM with my kit that I can print out myself.

3. I want you to increase the cost of the kit by $5 and include both print
and CDROM with every kit.

Please, no other permutations. Print or CDROM. No other choices.

It depends on the number of pages. For example, I was willing to pay for a
hardcopy of the GNS480 manual, even though I could download it for free. The
hardcopy is conveniently wire-bound and is a more convenient form factor than
the 8.5x11 I'd be constrained to if I printed it myself. Printing several
hundred pages is not cheap in either time, dollars, or frustration factor on my
home printer.

For anything up to 25 pages or so, I'd rather have the CD. Easier to store, I
don't have papers lying around except whatever pages I actually need.

....but I've not been one of your customers - yet.

Bottom line: 2

Dave
Old April 27th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

I wouldn't dream of proposing anything else.

But

The other day, I got out my old Icom 02AT. Couldn't figure out why I
was havng trouble storing PL tones in certain memory locations.

Thank Hiram Maxim somebody had posted the manual on-line.

Don
Old April 27th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

Our manuals are already posted online, or at least the pertinent sections of
operations and schematics. I'm talking about the documentation delivered
with the product.

Jim

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
I wouldn't dream of proposing anything else.

But

The other day, I got out my old Icom 02AT. Couldn't figure out why I
was havng trouble storing PL tones in certain memory locations.

Thank Hiram Maxim somebody had posted the manual on-line.

Don

Avionics manuals [email protected] Piloting 5 September 21st 05 06:46 PM
avionics manuals cpw Owning 9 September 17th 05 08:58 PM
Looking for some avionics manuals... Jim Burns Owning 2 March 10th 05 03:06 PM
Looking for some avionics manuals... Al Marzo General Aviation 4 August 16th 04 05:44 AM
Used Avionics O. Sami Saydjari Instrument Flight Rules 40 December 2nd 03 03:53 PM