A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flarm Update - change to config file required?

Old April 18th 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Flarm Update - change to config file required?

Updated to V6 last week. Didn't see anything in the release notes or on the Flarm website about any requirements to create a new config file. Anyone else know differently?

P3
Old April 18th 15, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 8:24:39 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
Updated to V6 last week. Didn't see anything in the release notes or on the Flarm website about any requirements to create a new config file. Anyone else know differently?

P3

Yeah, it's been covered in some of the update threads. They (Flarm) have a new config generator you need.
Old April 18th 15, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

P3

The new config tool is here https://flarm.com/support/tools-software/

It has a few new commands, but it looks like our old config files should be forward compatible.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old April 27th 15, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]
external usenet poster

P3

I updated my Core to 6.xx and went to R5N, Perry, without testing. :-( The Flarm and GPS did not speak to my SN10 anymore. It did record the flight, and the range analyzer showed I was receiving other units well.
Today, I loaded a new Config file made with the config tool. I used "71" for the NMEAOUT1 and 2, instead of the previous "61". It all works again! Baud rate both 1 and 2 is "2" (19,200). Now it works!

Bottom line--yes I needed new config file.
Old April 27th 15, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

I went ahead and flew with the new V6 software but the same old config file.. According to others they saw me just fine and vice-versa, so I'm tending to agree with Evan. Haven't had a chance to create a new file and do a diff, but the old config file seems to work. Anyone know for sure what changed in the config files?

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 3:56:58 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

P3

It has a few new commands, but it looks like our old config files should be forward compatible.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old April 27th 15, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 6:13:26 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
I went ahead and flew with the new V6 software but the same old config file. According to others they saw me just fine and vice-versa, so I'm tending to agree with Evan. Haven't had a chance to create a new file and do a diff, but the old config file seems to work. Anyone know for sure what changed in the config files?

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 3:56:58 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

P3

-Evan Ludeman / T8

It would be kinda nice if they published the new dataport spec... then we'd know for sure....

-Evan
Old April 28th 15, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]
external usenet poster

P3

One more fact--the USB thumb drive I used to load v6.xx did not have a config.file on it-I assumed that the flarm was already "configd". When I put the new config file on the thumb drive and inserted it, turned on the flarm and waited for the green light. Next chance, I'll config with the old "6" protocol and see if that works. I used "7" at Paul Remde's suggestion from his website.