In wave, in blue hole at cloud level, hole closes, in IMC, then what?

Old April 8th 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default In wave, in blue hole at cloud level, hole closes, in IMC, then what?

The more common scenario that broke gliders few times in wave is that you are already flying close to VNE when you find yourself in a cloud since you already trying to escape. It can be a meter of seconds until you loose you wings. What do you do? Do you pull full spoilers at VNE? Or do you slow down first and zoom deeper in the cloud before opening spoilers? The 27 manual doesn't specifically says don't open spoiler at VNE but the common wisdom says don't.

Ramy
Old April 8th 15, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 4/8/2015 8:08 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
So I'm flying in a blue hole in wave lift of 5 m/s, trimmed to 50 knots, in
clear air with a cloud layer upwind and downwind, cloud top above and cloud
base below. Suddenly I find myself in IMC. What are my options?

My glider is capable of benign spiral. I open the spoilers, (already
trimmed to 50 knots) and let go of stick and rudder. Then I mentally
rehearse my bail out procedure and expect to come out below the cloud (or
possibly above). It seems like I should decisively and without hesitation
initiate the spiral ASAP, while the glider is still relatively level and at
cruising airspeed.

Suggestions?

In re Bob K.'s and Steve L.'s comments elsewhere on this branch, "Ha ha ha. Oh
the knowing joy of those familiar with 90-degree landing flaps (and I'm one of
'em)!!!" Regrettably (in subsequently broken ship/traumatized pilot terms),
that particular religious war was lost long, long ago.

An argument can be reasonably made that - in "tribal knowledge" terms - there
is nothing new to be learned from the Easter Sunday Reno accident. That said,
I understand that in *individual* terms there is *always* something to gleaned
from such things...and I hope by such gleaning some may avoid finding
themselves in similar dire circumstances.

As first-hand-experience(s) have noted in another branch of this thread,
apparently not all gliders have a "you can comfortably bet your life on it
being 'a good enough' benign spiral capability," that I would willingly bet
*my* life on it. That said, if - for whatever reason - Joe Glider Pilot
develops a sense that unwanted IMC is in a flight's future, I sure hope he's
done-through-practice-beforehand what he intends to do soon! My own
spoilered-ship preference would be to initiate the 'save your butt disaster
plan' *before* loss of visual conditions, but that's just me. My guess is
Martin G.'s post-IMC-entry advice is generically sensible, too.

As always, the devil is in the details, and YMMV...

Bob W.
Old April 8th 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 14:08 08 April 2015, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

Turn on the turn and slip/AH and descend to the waypoint, well clear of
hills, I have created just in case the gap closes.

Old April 8th 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Find an instructor with much wave experience and ask them to help you come up with a plan and some training. Some gliders will do a benign spiral well, others will not. Get some benign spiral training then try it in your glider to see under what conditions it will or will not have a benign spiral.. Get an instant on AH. I would be very hesitant to open the spoilers at high speed, there was a discussion about that a month or two ago. I have flown many complex aircraft and I think one thing gliders pilots do not do very well is to seek recurrent training from a qualified instructor. When I was actively flying gliders I trained every year with an instructor, spins, spiral dive and I always asked them to surprise me with something we had not covered before (just now getting back into gliding after a long absence). In the other complex type aircraft I trained every 3 to 6 months. Most glider pilots only get recurrent training every biannual. I like to know what to do during an emergency rather than figure it out at the time.

I have experienced multiple inflight emergencies and in all but one case my training took over and no thought was involved, just muscle memory. However, the case I had not trained for was one throttle cable coming loose on final with the engine immediately going to full throttle. My very first thought was "we never covered this in training". It would be best just to rely on muscle memory. As a side note, it was a big cabin class twin and after a moment of thought I feathered the engine and continued to landing on the one good engine.

In climbing we always said plan for the worse, hope for the best. Training, training. Maybe one of the experienced legends of the sport can comment here and add guidance.

One more thought. In the war bird community we had hanger flying sessions were we talked about the emergencies we experienced and how we handled them.. These were priceless sessions! I learned what other pilots did in situations I had never thought of. Maybe we should start a hanger flying session on this site!
Old April 8th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 11:41:01 -0600, Bob Whelan wrote:

In re Bob K.'s and Steve L.'s comments elsewhere on this branch, "Ha ha
ha. Oh the knowing joy of those familiar with 90-degree landing flaps
(and I'm one of 'em)!!!" Regrettably (in subsequently broken
ship/traumatized pilot terms), that particular religious war was lost
long, long ago.

Around 2004 there was another benign spiral thread which caused me to be
a bit of experimenting in an ASW-20. I found that, in calm evening air
trimmed for best glide (57 kts) and zero flap (position 3) and flying
straight, it slowly developed a 25 second phugoid oscillation with an
associated +/- 5kt speed oscillation.

I also tried for a benign spiral: zero flap, wheel down and brakes out,
same trimmed speed and going hands free after setting up a 20-30 degree
bank. After even half a circle the bank angle had increased, the nose had
dropped the speed was increasing. I never let it go beyond that point and
concluded that the ASW-20 doesn't have a benign spiral.

I haven't tried either experiment with the Libelle but should do so this
season, as its always good stuff to know. BTW, my H.201 is s/n 82, so it
dates from before the move to the B series, so it has balsa sandwich
flying surface skins, the small tailplane and upper and lower surface
brakes.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old April 8th 15, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 3:02:26 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:

concluded that the ASW-20 doesn't have a benign spiral.

It's ship/setup dependent.

In my 20B, what works is landing flaps, gear down, spoilers full out. My CG is pretty far back.

Round and round and round at about 50 kts. Top rudder makes it even more stable.

T8's hot tip for partial panel descents: get the glider dirty (i.e. spoilers, flaps, gear). It's about 1000x easier to fly a dirty glider on instruments than a clean one.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Old April 8th 15, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

any possibility to maintain a heading using the moving map while in the clouds to prevent the start of a spiral dive?
Old April 8th 15, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 3:33:10 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
any possibility to maintain a heading using the moving map while in the clouds to prevent the start of a spiral dive?

That's what Bob Spielman tried to do.

-T8
Old April 8th 15, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 12:33:10 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
any possibility to maintain a heading using the moving map while in the clouds to prevent the start of a spiral dive?

And as you slow down in strong wave you can start flying sideways/backwards and the moving map or fake instrument it is driving "topples". If you want to rely on instruments, they need to be real inertial instrument (and lots of training/practice) in an environment like that.

The near-VNE speed that Ramy described is the eater of gliders in this scenario in strong Wave.
Old April 8th 15, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 4/8/2015 1:28 PM, Tango Eight wrote:
Snip...

T8's hot tip for partial panel descents: get the glider dirty (i.e.
spoilers, flaps, gear). It's about 1000x easier to fly a dirty glider on
instruments than a clean one.

I lack the experience to express an informed opinion about that
paragraph-ending statement (though I'd wager a 6-pack it's correct), but will
readily second the idea of adding all the disposable drag your glider has as
being a Great Idea if/when things get visually dodgy. It's hard to get more
stable than a glider with so much drag it can't do anything but slowly and
stably fall to earth like a featherweight shuttlecock, regardless of what Joe
Pilot might attempt with the stick.

Short list of gliders which qualify follows:

Bob W.

P.S. For any offended HP drivers out there, please note I qualified things
with "slowly and *stably* fall to earth...". My HP 14 fell to earth quite
slowly and UNstably with full flaps and no hands/feet on the controls, and
never exceeded ~50 knots regardless of any of the "unusual attitudes" it found
while bouncing between the tail-high/nose-low state and "various sideways
states" as it alternated between stalled with full flaps and not stalled with
full flaps. To avoid stalling, one merely had to hold sufficient forward stick
to maintain 40 knots or so. Quite instructive...