A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

iGlide

Old April 27th 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Rinaldi
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

For those of you using iGlide, which version did you download? Any suggestions on which to download?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old April 27th 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 7:44:00 AM UTC-7, Mike Rinaldi wrote:
For those of you using iGlide, which version did you download? Any suggestions on which to download?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

There is no price penalty for starting with the Lite version and then adding on. Air really should have a nice chart showing what you get with each. Primarily, Advanced adds the ability to fly routes with multiple turn points and edit them with your fingertip. Pro further adds the ability to apply contest rules to the route, customizing the size and shape of the start/finish/TP and allowing for different rules (also OLC and FAI optimization). No version will do a US style MAT.

The Lite is pretty and a good introduction but not all that useful. I did it because I wanted to see if I liked it before spending big money. You need at least the Advanced for any serious sort of cross country, and the Pro for contest flying.

If you start with the Lite, then do the in-app purchase of the others, it will always show the "Lite" splash screen on startup and each time you update the app it will need to reload the in-app purchased versions. All that is no big thing but makes you feel a little cheap whenever you start it. So if you know you are going to want the Pro features I would just buy it and be done.

I will plead once again with Marc at Air to produce a free version on the iTunes store that only has the simulator mode enabled. I don't know how many sales they have given up by not allowing users to try it for less than $30, but I think it is a lot. Every other major software package can be demoed for free. The UI on iGlide though, is about 15 years ahead of every other package, making the others look like bad Windows 3.2 programs.
Old April 27th 15, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

I definitely held my nose when i hit the "buy" button, and I was right

given how little functionality is in the lite version, its way, way overpriced

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 11:30:21 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
I will plead once again with Marc at Air to produce a free version on the iTunes store that only has the simulator mode enabled. I don't know how many sales they have given up by not allowing users to try it for less than $30, but I think it is a lot. Every other major software package can be demoed for free. The UI on iGlide though, is about 15 years ahead of every other package, making the others look like bad Windows 3.2 programs.

Old April 27th 15, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 8:41:55 AM UTC-7, Bob Pasker wrote:
I definitely held my nose when i hit the "buy" button, and I was right

given how little functionality is in the lite version, its way, way overpriced

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 11:30:21 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:

Yes, the Lite version is probably not worth it for many people. But the Advanced and Pro are price competitive and full featured. That is why they really, really should have a Demo version that is free. It should include the Pro features, but only work in the simulator mode, that is, would not be useable for flying.
Old April 28th 15, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Rinaldi
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

Thanks for you input!