BGA Concession AUW

Old May 4th 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default BGA Concession AUW

At 09:29 03 May 2015, wrote:
On 3/05/2015 02:04, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 10:32:14 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
BGA trumps the manufacturer on max dry weight of the glider, yet US
pilots are crazy, stupid, and unsafe for steering the tug with

the
glider?

We'd all benefit from keeping UK/USA discussions about soaring civil.

There may be room for change and improvement on both sides of the pond

and
comments that discourage open discussion are harmful to the sport.

Please vent somewhere else.

Rubbish! Poms thrive on near-abuse so get stuck into them. They give
as good as they get and enjoy it. The US's mealy-mouthed weasel words
style gets a bit irritating after a while. Don't change, Dan and Don.

GC

He is right, when people are angry they type what they think. If someone
agrees with you they think no further, if they disagree they look for
reasons. We do have different ways of doing things and of course we think
they are right, if we didn't we would do something else. Maybe if enough
people think enough to counter an argument then some of the "holy writ"
things that we do would be seen for what they were, better done another
way. If something said on here results in one person thinking about limits
and saving a life then all to the good. Agreement never tries anything,
argument does.
Finally, no we have not forgiven you for dumping our bloody tea, so expect
a hard time, always :-)

Old May 4th 15, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default BGA Concession AUW (well, not really any more)

On 4/05/2015 09:26, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 09:29 03 May 2015, wrote:
[...]

Sorry Don but the tea leaves were effectively stolen (along with the
rest of India) by the East India Company - that bunch of pirates,
mercenaries, hustlers, chancers, con men ...and tea leaves (sorry) - in
the first place so it's a travesty to call it 'our tea' and you've no
cause to object to the Boston dumpsters.

I speak as a neutral observer.

GC

Old May 4th 15, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick[_5_]

You have to remember that a lot of Australians come from ancestors who were too stupid and got caught. Evolution does kick in! :-)

The corollary is that Brits are descended from a load of crooks.

N.
Old May 4th 15, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 09:01 04 May 2015, Nick wrote:
You have to remember that a lot of Australians come from ancestors who

were
too stupid and got caught. Evolution does kick in! :-)

The corollary is that Brits are descended from a load of crooks.

N.

I think you are confusing us Brits with the residents in our former penal
colony in the southern ocean. If you had not been so rebellious and
disobedient we would have taught you geography and other useful stuff. You
do however make some half decent television programmes :-)

Old May 4th 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default BGA Concession AUW and its sometimes American Contemporary

Back to the original thoughts on AUW. I love the USA because I have a Glasflugel 604 that I can legally (and safely, too) fly at 1800 lbs AUW (about 816 KG) and a Nimbus 3 that I can load up to 1930 lbs AUW (about 875 KG). No matter what the manufacturer might say about such things. :-)

I have only gotten the 604 up to about 1750 (need bigger bags for the outer panels) and only flown the Nimbus as high as about 1850 (outers full, inners were full, but I did about a one minute dump. It has the early, 80 gallon tanks). But, oh, they are nice when heavy!

Mine are both approved to the higher gross weights by the FAA. I know. Anything I do that is not approved by the manufacturer makes me a test pilot. And I am OK with that. In both cases, it was done lots before me on the subject sailplanes.

Steve Leonard