Finally!

Old October 16th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_2_]

Default Finally!

I've waited nearly 3 years for this day, and so has the Little Man.

Over the course of the last few months, every time I've left the house on a
Sunday to go fly, the Little Man has known where I was going and would say
in a small, plaintive tone, "I need to go fly with Papa."
There is no greater heartbreak for a pilot to bear than hearing those words
coming from a future birdman.

But today...today, for the very first time, we got to sit side by side as
Pilot and Co-pilot, (with Mommy in back as our somewhat reluctant
passenger), while we flew from Gainesville, Georgia to Toccoa, Georgia. Once
we leveled off, my intrepid and fearless Co-pilot took the yoke and flew
unerringly straight to our destination.

There we landed and lunched on peanut butter sandwiches and Coca-Colas,
which Mommy would revisit just before we landed back at Gainesville. :-O

I did have to caution my Co-pilot at one point during our return flight
however, when he kept pressing the push-to-talk button without my knowledge,
causing me much confusion and sending me looking for the loose headset
connection.

http://www.cartoonclipart.com/christian/christian.html

Our next anticipated milestone: no passengers, just us Birdmen
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old October 16th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I've waited nearly 3 years for this day, and so has the Little Man.

http://www.cartoonclipart.com/christian/christian.html

Way to go, Jeff! Flying with your son is one of life's truly great
experiences.

My boy is now old enough to literally fly me down to about 100 feet off
the runway, and he is poised to start "real" flight lessons next
summer.

But it seems like just yesterday that he was that joyous, excited
little toddler, flying all-IFR cuz he couldn't see over the panel! I
know this sounds cliche, and it doesn't seem possible -- but really,
truly enjoy them while they are so little, because it goes by in a
flash.

Just think, soon you'll be doing trips like this with him:

http://alexisparkinn.com/2006_madeline_island.htm

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Jay Honeck wrote:
I've waited nearly 3 years for this day, and so has the Little Man.

http://www.cartoonclipart.com/christian/christian.html

Way to go, Jeff! Flying with your son is one of life's truly great
experiences.

My boy is now old enough to literally fly me down to about 100 feet off
the runway, and he is poised to start "real" flight lessons next
summer.

But that just means you have three pilots to share the controls. Not a
good thing, IMO. g
Old October 16th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

But that just means you have three pilots to share the controls. Not a
good thing, IMO. g

Nah, it's a GREAT thing.

Now if I could just get my 13 year old daughter interested in flying,
we'd be in good shape. No luck, so far -- and it's driving Mary NUTS.

(Which, of course, is the main goal of every 13 year old... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Jay Honeck wrote:
But that just means you have three pilots to share the controls. Not a
good thing, IMO. g

Nah, it's a GREAT thing.

Now if I could just get my 13 year old daughter interested in flying,
we'd be in good shape. No luck, so far -- and it's driving Mary NUTS.

(Which, of course, is the main goal of every 13 year old... ;-)

She's probably taking lessons behind your backs.
Old October 16th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Now if I could just get my 13 year old daughter interested in flying,
we'd be in good shape. No luck, so far -- and it's driving Mary NUTS.

Puberty shifts priorities, unfortunately.

Old October 16th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:32:24 -0500, GeorgeC wrote:

I have a modest proposal. No driver licence until you have your pilot
licence.

Hmm.

Hopefully, I won't need it. The 4 yo is always asking to fly, and
the 1 yo's first word was "sky".

Still, I'll reserve this idea Just In Case.

Thanks...

- Andrew

Old October 16th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Finally! - Warning - OT Blatant Political Content

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jay Honeck writes:

Now if I could just get my 13 year old daughter interested in flying,
we'd be in good shape. No luck, so far -- and it's driving Mary NUTS.

Puberty shifts priorities, unfortunately.

Much more importantly, aptitudes are said to shift at about that age.

There is a drastic decrease in aptitude toward learning new
languages--especially speaking without an obvious accent. That is why I
remain so annoyed with our (US) education system, which delays foriegn
language studies until high school, any makes the USA such a deserving
subject of derision with regard to our language comprehension. Therefore, I
would have a difficult time ever voting for a candidate endorsed by the NEA.

There is also a drastic imporvement in aptitude in spacial matters such as
trigonometry, solid geometry, etc. Obviously, that would include the
airspace system, theory of flight, and navigation. That was the substance
of my irritation with the EAA Young Eagles program from the start--entire
age range should have been five years older. Of course, a voice from the
Chapter level is not very loud; nor very timely.

So, IMHO, Jay is probably on the right track at about the right time.

Peter

Old October 16th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Richard Riley[_1_]

Wizard of Draws wrote:
I've waited nearly 3 years for this day, and so has the Little Man.

That's wonderful, Jeff. Congratulations to all involved.

My daughter's about a week younger than Christian...

http://www.imageigloo.com/viewer.php?id=476ER flying.jpg

She can't wait to go flying with Daddy, too.