Teaching emergency procedures

Old January 3rd 05, 03:07 PM
Ramapriya

Default Teaching emergency procedures

Since every aircraft has a different way to approach an emergency,
which I think is the basic reason for having type-ratings individual to
various models, how are emergency procedures taught during flight
training? Are they for just the aircraft on which the training is
imparted or are there sessions covering a whole range of popular
aircraft?

Not sure whether I've worded properly what I intend to ask. It's the
stuff other than stall/spin recoveries than that I'd like to know - for
example, engine fire, pressurizing failure, electrical fires, some
meters behaving funnily, stuck landing gear, etc.
Cheers,

Ramapriya

Old January 3rd 05, 04:09 PM
steve.t

During basic training one is taught basic steps to take for engine
loss. Generally this is assumed/presumed to be for other than engine
fire. The highest priority one now is, what does it mean when a fighter
blows by you with its gear down, flaps down, tail hook down, speed
brakes deployed...

You will also cover what to do with gear problems (Uh, Mr/Ms CFI, Uh, I
don't see a wheel out my window (assumes hi-wing a/c) -- and the reply
will be, "Nuts! those welds must've broken off again.").

Because basic training is done VFR day, most emergency procedures are
for basic VFR day situations. Let's see, what to do when you get lost,
run out of fuel (you aren't lost until you run out of fuel because
until then you just don't know exactly where you is), have a flat, have
a door blow open, have a seatbelt hanging outside the plane, etc.

At the next level of training, you get into Night VFR. New set of
procedures are taught (if engine out, set up for landing, if you don't
like what you see, turn off landing lights). Landing with dead landing
light, landing with dead radio, loss of vacuum and having to do it all
with the whiskey...

When you start into complex, then you are taught what to do when the
gear doesn't come down. Complex/HiPerf you learn what to do with loss
of power because of prop problems. And all that neat gauge stuff.

Instrument rating includes training for loss of radio, what it means
when that low voltage red light comes on, what it means when the DG is
going one direction and the turn coordinator is doing something
else...., when ATC tells you to contact them upon landing.

Depending on the aircraft you are using and the ground school you go
to, you will cover oxygen problems. Let me see, that was no oxygen and
out go the lights... Window blows open at altitude and your approach
plate is probably going to follow it out of the plane...

The one thing I was taught during basic (primary) training, just before
I went for the PP check ride was, pretend that the CEO of the company
is on the plane. Pretend that they like to drink coffee and they hate
to wear it on their nice clothes. Fly accordingly.
Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old January 3rd 05, 06:39 PM
Andrew Gideon

steve.t wrote:

Generally this is assumed/presumed to be for other than engine
fire.

I still remember a flight during my primary training. It was before my
first XC, and I "encountered" perhaps 20 different emergencies in various
(simulated!) combination. Engine fire was certainly among them.

For any of the 172s or 182s I've flown, various fires have been included in
the emergency procedures checklist.

- Andrew

Old January 3rd 05, 11:46 PM
tom418

Most of the procedures I''ve learned have been type specific (Engine failure
on B727, Electrical failure in a Chieftain) etc.

Mnemonics help a great deal, e.g. Remember "BetsyBigBoobs" when combating an
engine fire in a 727!:

oups.com...

Old January 3rd 05, 11:54 PM
Robert M. Gary

Ramapriya wrote:
Since every aircraft has a different way to approach an emergency,
which I think is the basic reason for having type-ratings individual

various models, how are emergency procedures taught during flight
training? Are they for just the aircraft on which the training is
imparted or are there sessions covering a whole range of popular
aircraft?

Of the several dozen piston singles I've flown, they've all been very,
very similar. There isn't really a need for type ratings in smaller
airplanes. From Mooneys to Bonanzas to Aeroncas to Citabrias, they've
all been pretty much the same. I've often taught in airplanes I've
never flown. They pretty much all fly the same.

-Robert, CFI

Old January 4th 05, 02:21 AM
Bob Moore

"tom418" wrote

Mnemonics help a great deal, e.g. Remember "BetsyBigBoobs" when
combating an engine fire in a 727!:

How does that fit in with:

(PanAm)
Thrust lever............idle
Start lever.............cutoff
Fire handle.............pull
Fire extinguisher.......discharge

Of course some airlines just used:

(American, I think)

Old January 4th 05, 05:16 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Most piston aircraft have similar emergency procedures. For engine fire,
you shut off the fuel, and increase airspeed to put out the flame. For
electrical fire, you shut off the master, turn off all equipment, turn
master on and turn one equipment on at a time to isolate the fault. For
gear failure, you use the manual gear extension procedure. The exact
procedure varies between aircraft, and whether it is electric or
hydraulic. There are many more, such as rough running engine, airframe
icing, vacuum failure etc.. The procedures are similar but there could
be small variations between models. Once you understand the main ideas
behind the emergency procedures, it is easy to adapt to the variations.

"Ramapriya" wrote in news:1104764829.399250.179180
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Old January 4th 05, 01:22 PM
tom418

BetsyBigBoobs: (B-E-T-S-E-B-B)

Bell(cutout) Switch: Push
Essential Power: Operating Generator
Throttle: Idle
Start Lever: Cutoff
Engine Fire Switch : PULL
Bottle Discharge Switch: PUSH
Bottle Discharge Light: ON

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...
"tom418" wrote

Old January 4th 05, 06:16 PM
Robert M. Gary

tom418 wrote:
BetsyBigBoobs: (B-E-T-S-E-B-B)

Bell(cutout) Switch: Push
Essential Power: Operating Generator
Throttle: Idle
Start Lever: Cutoff
Engine Fire Switch : PULL
Bottle Discharge Switch: PUSH
Bottle Discharge Light: ON

It's interesting to me that you shut off the bell before you shut off
the fuel.
Also, doesn't pulling the fire handle also shut off the fuel on it's
own?

-Robert

Old January 4th 05, 09:14 PM
tom418

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

tom418 wrote:
BetsyBigBoobs: (B-E-T-S-E-B-B)

Bell(cutout) Switch: Push
Essential Power: Operating Generator
Throttle: Idle
Start Lever: Cutoff
Engine Fire Switch : PULL
Bottle Discharge Switch: PUSH
Bottle Discharge Light: ON

It's interesting to me that you shut off the bell before you shut off
the fuel.

Makes thinking easier.

Also, doesn't pulling the fire handle also shut off the fuel on it's
own?

Yes, however placing start lever to cutoff shuts down ignition also (which
could have been on during Turbulence, Icing, Landing, or Takeoff
(TILT-uh-oh, another mnemonic!))