Failed instruments

Old July 13th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default Failed instruments

We had a vacuum pump failure a month ago, and husband did something I
think is worth mentioning. He keeps a number of Post It notes stuck to
the notepad he uses for flight plans and notes, and stuck one on the
face of every vacuum driven instrument. He said he's so used to
scanning everything to get a picture of the plane's environment that
he likes to have a reminder of which ones to ignore.

I'm sure there are other good ways to deal with this kind of thing,
but his idea looked pretty neat to me.

Tina.

Old July 13th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Tina wrote:
We had a vacuum pump failure a month ago, and husband did something I
think is worth mentioning. He keeps a number of Post It notes stuck to
the notepad he uses for flight plans and notes, and stuck one on the
face of every vacuum driven instrument. He said he's so used to
scanning everything to get a picture of the plane's environment that
he likes to have a reminder of which ones to ignore.

I'm sure there are other good ways to deal with this kind of thing,
but his idea looked pretty neat to me.

Tina.

When I was doing my instrument training I picked up several suction cup
covers that still reside in my flight bag. You can get them at most
pilot shops fairly cheaply. The biggest drawback is digging them out
when you need them.

John
Old July 13th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Jul 13, 7:49 am, John Theune wrote:
When I was doing my instrument training I picked up several suction cup
covers that still reside in my flight bag. You can get them at most
pilot shops fairly cheaply. The biggest drawback is digging them out
when you need them.

John,
I bought a pack of round post-its from pilot shops and kept it in
the 'gloves compartment' of my Cardinal along with spare batteries,
earplugs, flashlights, pencils etc.. I used to keep stuffs in my
flight bag but it was quite inconvenient to fish out the needed item.

Hai Longworth

Old July 14th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Vetter

John Theune wrote:
When I was doing my instrument training I picked up several suction cup
covers that still reside in my flight bag. You can get them at most
pilot shops fairly cheaply. The biggest drawback is digging them out
when you need them.

Actually, the biggest drawback with suction cup blanks (at least in my
experience) is that they tend to fall off to easily...yes, even if you
put some saliva on the cup before you apply it.

On the other hand, post-it notes work quite well and are far cheaper.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old July 14th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-07-13 04:40:36 -0700, Tina said:

We had a vacuum pump failure a month ago, and husband did something I
think is worth mentioning. He keeps a number of Post It notes stuck to
the notepad he uses for flight plans and notes, and stuck one on the
face of every vacuum driven instrument. He said he's so used to
scanning everything to get a picture of the plane's environment that
he likes to have a reminder of which ones to ignore.

I'm sure there are other good ways to deal with this kind of thing,
but his idea looked pretty neat to me.

Tina.

I like Post-it notes myself. They work better than suction cups.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 15th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian[_1_]

I like the suggestion I read to reach into you wallet and get a
hundred dollar bill and fold it in half. In most aircraft this will
wedge into opening for the failed instrument(s) pretty nicely. That
way it will remind you that the instrument is failed and that it is
going to cost you several more bills to get it repaired.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Old July 15th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:03:56 -0700, Brian wrote:

I like the suggestion I read to reach into you wallet and get a
hundred dollar bill

Not such a bad idea.

My #2 CDI quit deflecting Thursday. The nav radio ID's stations, and
the flags operate, but the needle just sits there and makes me look
fantastic at tracking.

Kiss some AMU's g-day!
Old July 16th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

B A R R Y wrote:

My #2 CDI quit deflecting Thursday. The nav radio ID's stations, and
the flags operate, but the needle just sits there and makes me look
fantastic at tracking.

Great for flying the imfamous VOT approach.
Old July 16th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 7/13/2007 7:49:52 AM, John Theune wrote:

The biggest drawback is digging them out
when you need them.

I punched a hole in mine and keep them bound in my small three ring flight
notebook that is strapped to my leg. I made this small notebook up several
years ago during my IFR training when I was unhappy with the other methods of
maintaining flight organization.

--
Peter

Failed plug soxinbox Owning 10 November 6th 05 03:14 AM
300 Km Flights (Was Failed Instruments) Ray Lovinggood Soaring 2 August 25th 05 11:49 PM