A Wake Up Call From Luke AFB

Old July 10th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default A Wake Up Call From Luke AFB

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
t...
Recently, Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)
posted:

According to Snopes.com, this incident was in 2005.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

There was another letter that continued this topic.

To his credit, the complainant, Mr. MacRae, tendered a written apology
which was published in The Republic on 9 July:

[...]
I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have
insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

[...]
I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran.

Anyone else have trouble reconciling these two statements?

Neil

Hey, Neil!

Ever heard of a dude by the name of John McCain?

He's running for president, ya know!

{Ignorance is bliss}

Old July 10th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"150flivver" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 9, 6:19 pm, "Gatt" wrote:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

In a previous article, "Gatt" said:
"Neil Gould" wrote in message
. net...

I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran.

Anyone else have trouble reconciling these two statements?

LOL!

A friend of mine still carries the burn scars he got on the Forrestall.
Are you going to tell me he isn't a Vietnam veteran?

There's an A-7 from the Forrestall at Tillamook Air Museum.

Perhaps you missed my "Uh oh...here comes the Corpsman!" part. (Corpsmen
were Navy medical personnel attached with Marine units, so it follows
that
if I say "Here comes the Corpsman" the idea a soldier can be Navy and
Vietnam vet is rather implied.)

-c
Not to mention Skyhawk driver and ex-POW John McCain.

Lots of naval personnel manned riverboats doing patrol in the delta
(even John Kerry).

Not to mention author Richard "Rogue Warrior" Marcinko, Navy SEAL and
founder of SEAL Team 6.

Old July 10th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
When my dad died some "helpful" citizen wrote into the local paper
pointing out that the obituary the paper wrote forgot to mention the
cost to the taxpayer for the Navy to replace the jet. That stupid
letter to the editor bothered my mother for years. I'm not sure if
some people just don't care or are just clueless.

Both.

Add, too, just plain hateful/spiteful.

I'm (not) surprised that the newspaper published such idiocy, but then,
they're newspapers...

(Oh, and VN can shove whatever childish rationalization he's trying to pull
out of his anal passage)

Old July 10th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Your note suggests both gross ignorance on the part of the letter
writer, and of the newspaper for publishing such a letter.

Our country stands on the shoulders of the men and women who fought
for it, but that's an awful expression. I'd rather that the country
carry their memories on its shoulders.

Old July 10th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:54:55 +0000, Tina wrote:

Your note suggests both gross ignorance on the part of the letter writer,
and of the newspaper for publishing such a letter.

I don't know about the second. Consider the story with which this thread
started. The author - and everyone that read the entire dialog in the
newspaper - learned a valuable lesson. A bit of ignorance and
small-mindedness was defeated.

Publishing ignorant letters is an opportunity. Better that then have
those people quietly voting out of their ignorance, no?

Of course, it would be even better if newspapers actually sought answers,
but that doesn't seem to be a part of journalism (with a few exceptions)
anymore. Rather, they tend to just accept what they're told and even
sometimes publish these "facts" w/o any qualification (ie. "fact" rather
than "fact according to ...").

- Andrew

Old July 10th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:38:41 -0500, "Neil Gould" wrote:

What does that have to do with the question at hand: what Vet wouldn't
know the significance of a flyby formation???

I don't find it that far-fetched that someone NOT involved in aviation would not
know the traditions of the aviation branches. Maybe the guy had been a
submariner, or served in a small port with not aviation presence.

Works both ways. Many Air Force and Navy veterans, for example, wouldn't know
the significance of an Army officer wearing a slouch hat or what the patch on
their right shoulder represents.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 10th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 7/10/2007 1:29:34 AM, Clark wrote:

Not at all. My first real world boss was Navy and a Vietnam vet. I won't
type what I'm thinking about your nature, but it isn't good.

I believe you have misunderstood the poster's intent. Based on my
interpretation, he was stating that he doesn't understand why a former
Navy/Vietnam vet would not know the importance of a flyby. I will go out on a
limb here to suggest that he was in no way suggesting any disrespect for
either the Navy or a Vietnam Vet status.

Reread his post to see if that makes sense.

--
Peter

Old July 10th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:54:55 +0000, Tina wrote:

Your note suggests both gross ignorance on the part of the letter writer,
and of the newspaper for publishing such a letter.

I don't know about the second. Consider the story with which this thread
started. The author - and everyone that read the entire dialog in the
newspaper - learned a valuable lesson. A bit of ignorance and
small-mindedness was defeated.

Maybe. Of all the letters-to-the editor that a newspaper receives, why
publish the original?
What if no one had responded to the letter?

(An understanding of the Arizona Repugnat and their editors might provide an
insight)

Publishing ignorant letters is an opportunity. Better that then have
those people quietly voting out of their ignorance, no?

Of course, it would be even better if newspapers actually sought answers,
but that doesn't seem to be a part of journalism (with a few exceptions)
anymore. Rather, they tend to just accept what they're told and even
sometimes publish these "facts" w/o any qualification (ie. "fact" rather
than "fact according to ...").

And many times the accept what they're told because it fits their agenda.
(See previous remarks about the AZ RePukeLic).

Old July 10th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

wrote:

What does that have to do with the question at hand: what Vet wouldn't
know the significance of a flyby formation???

I don't find it that far-fetched that someone NOT involved in aviation
would not
know the traditions of the aviation branches. Maybe the guy had been a
submariner, or served in a small port with not aviation presence.

Works both ways. Many Air Force and Navy veterans, for example, wouldn't
know
the significance of an Army officer wearing a slouch hat or what the patch
on
their right shoulder represents.

And until they did the break away as part of the "Missing Man Formation",
there would have been little to distinguish them from any other formation
flying in the vicinity of an AF base.

How many military and non-military types see F-16's buzzing around and turn
green with ENVY?