Exhaust Valves

Old January 23rd 05, 04:01 PM
Boelkowj

Default Exhaust Valves

I am having my 0200A top end serviced for new rings, "miked" out for tolerances
and valves looked at and replaced as needed. My question is with 650 TT on the
engine can a careful visual by the certified overhaul shop satisfactorily
determine that the exhaust valves can still be reused rather than paying for
new ones ( at $125 apiece) ? I like to be safe but also reasonable about cost.
Thanks.

Larry
Old January 23rd 05, 09:38 PM

Only 650TT? Unless there's serious corrosion or a burnt valve,
there should be no problems with exhaust valves. Why does the engine
need work already?

Dan

Old January 23rd 05, 10:02 PM
jls

wrote in message
oups.com...
Only 650TT? Unless there's serious corrosion or a burnt valve,
there should be no problems with exhaust valves. Why does the engine
need work already?

Dan

Bottom ends on those engines are usually good for 2,000 hours. The tops
start going at 500. Same for any of the small Continental engines and the
O-300. The jugs just don't last.

$500 is a good investment in exhaust valves. After 500 hours they start to
neck down. They aren't sodium-filled like Lycoming exhaust valves, but of
course they don't run as hot either.

I have seen a few of these Continental jugs last as much as 800 hours, but
they are the exception, not the rule.

Now watch and see if someone doesn't jump in here claiming a thousand hours,
and counting, on his cylinders.

Old January 24th 05, 02:48 AM
Scott

OK, I'll do it. I had over a thousand (maybe 1200STOH) on the C-85 in
my old Chief. Never been majored and when I sold it, it had 2400TT.
Compressions were in the 75 and above range. Used a quart in 14-16
hours. Since the top, it had used Shell 15W-50 semi-synthetic oil. Of
course, I'm not claiming there couldn't have been worn parts (valves
etc.) but it sure ran sweet and strong.

On the other hand, I have to tear down my A-65 since I have (suspect at
this point) a burned valve from 100LL use I imagine (cross country
to/from Oshkosh last year and that was all that was available). It has
about 850 SMOH. Since I have one dead one, I will pull all 4 and put in
100 Octane valves since I don't think 80 is coming back...

Scott

jls wrote:
oups.com...

Old January 25th 05, 12:15 AM
jls

"Scott" wrote in message
OK, I'll do it. I had over a thousand (maybe 1200STOH) on the C-85 in
my old Chief. Never been majored and when I sold it, it had 2400TT.
Compressions were in the 75 and above range. Used a quart in 14-16
hours. Since the top, it had used Shell 15W-50 semi-synthetic oil. Of
course, I'm not claiming there couldn't have been worn parts (valves
etc.) but it sure ran sweet and strong.

Scott, you are a combination of special, astute, and lucky. Good for you.

On the other hand, I have to tear down my A-65 since I have (suspect at
this point) a burned valve from 100LL use I imagine (cross country
to/from Oshkosh last year and that was all that was available). It has
about 850 SMOH. Since I have one dead one, I will pull all 4 and put in
100 Octane valves since I don't think 80 is coming back...

I flew into a rural sod field on the Nolichucky River and coaxed a friendly
farmer to take me to a local Amoco station for gasoline --- So's I could
avoid that dreadful 100LL from the county airport. There weren't any
gasoline cans there but a darling waitress at the greasy spoon next door
washed out two flat and flexible 5-gallon cooking oil containers for me.
That 87 octane got me and the little A-65 home. If you're stuck with the
deplorable tankful of 100LL, MMO helps.

I had a burnt valve on a low-time A-65 once. I changed out the rocker arm
because it looked like the toe was pushing the stem eccentric in the guide.
I lapped in a new valve and it worked and has kept good compression now for
more than 200 hours.

Scott

jls wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

A-65 exhaust stud specs Jerry Jensen Home Built 4 March 3rd 04 01:13 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
SS exhaust ball joints Stu Home Built 1 January 3rd 04 10:34 PM
Exhaust Tape RobertR237 Home Built 19 July 30th 03 03:06 AM
Exhaust for VW motor Andre Home Built 0 July 14th 03 03:14 PM