Story of an older pilot 74

Old October 26th 04, 01:37 AM
Hankal

Default Story of an older pilot 74

Took off Saturday morning at 6:30 still very dark. Got my IFR clearance in the
air and soon was in solid IMC. Some clouds were nasty black. Got course
deviation don't like to bounce my plane around. 2 hours into the flight the
clouds were not as nasty. 30 minutes later I landed at SGJ for fuel. Always
pick the lowest price.
Then back up with a new clearance to 3J7. Weather stared to improve, just a lot
of haze.
Plugged the tape recorder in sat back and enjoyed the flight for 2.5 hours.
Departed 3j7 for 52A best fuel price. After I landed I ask some guy in his
hangar where I could tie down for the night. Had reservation at the Days Inn
which is about 4 miles from the airport. The fellows name is Jim and he ask
what I and my buddy are going to do in while in town, I said SLEEP. He had a
pickup truck and said he would give us a ride. I secured the plane and put my
bags in the bed of the pickup. He then opened his hangar and ask if I had a
drivers license, of course I have one, he backed out his LEXUS and gave me the
keys, said have fun. I did not believe he would trust me with his vehicle, I am
a total stranger.
I told him you would never see this down in Florida, he just grinned. He also
gave me the clicker which opens the gate. Good thing since the airport is
closed on Sundays and there is no way I could get to my plane the following
day.
We went into town, sign into the motel and filled his car with high test
(LEXUS)
The next morning we departed 52A in the dark and before long were in solid IMC
again. Got my clearance from ATL and flew back to SGJ. Went in between cloud
layer of 7000 and 9000. Just as we got to Jax the GPS failed, I tried to get it
back on line to no avail, so It was VOR to VOR. After shooting the ILS at SGJ
we departed for PHK. Again some IMC, but it was smooth, Got home just in time
to have lunch with my better half. Still can't believe this fellow lending me
his LEXUS. Show you that some pilots trust other pilots,
Hank N1441P
Old October 26th 04, 03:13 AM
Fred Wolf

nice story,,

that sort of thing still goes on,,............lets hope it doesn't stop

Old November 3rd 04, 03:52 AM
Tlewis95

Redefines the "courtesy car"