HANDHELD RADIO

Old March 28th 05, 03:46 AM

Default HANDHELD RADIO

All,
I have been using a JRC JHP-500 handheld radio for field communications
and have been a bit disappointed with it's performance. It has a
standard 6" flex antenna. When I am in the air and someone tries to
talk with me using the handheld, the transmission always sounds very
weak, even if I am flying right over the top of them at the airport.
For all I know, the radio is fine and the real culprit may simply be
the antenna.
Any suggestions?
Any suggestions on other (stock) handheld transceivers that have worked
well for others that won't break the bank?

Old March 28th 05, 04:59 AM
BTIZ

Hint,... it's not the antenna... it's the radio... JRC = Japan Radio Corp...

Get an ICOM

BT

ups.com...

Old March 28th 05, 06:00 AM

You might want to check the solder connection beneath the BNC
connector. It involves opening up the case, but it isn't too difficult
as long as you keep track of the tiny screws and different components.
A friend of mine had the performance of his JRC take a serious
downgrade, and he opened up the case and found a split solder
connection beneath the BNC connector, with a quick re-solder all was
fixed. Shortly after I had the exact problem and solution with my JRC.
It now works well!

Mike Reyes

Old March 28th 05, 07:04 AM
F.L. Whiteley

please read the following
http://www.icomamerica.com/downloads/cq-interview.pdf

Old March 28th 05, 08:08 AM
BTIZ

ok... I think we all knew that... but from what I read... ICOM is not JRC...
just cause ICOM is "made in Japan".. that does not make it JRC...

I did not see any affiliation to JRC in the article...

so.. whats your point?

BT

Old March 28th 05, 12:14 PM
Vaughn

wrote in message
ups.com...
Any suggestions on other (stock) handheld transceivers that have worked
well for others that won't break the bank?

Yaesu, (now called Vertex) and Icom are the "Toyota and Honda" of the
portable radio industry. You won't go far wrong with the products from either
company. I use a Vertex ProV myself. It is so tiny that I fly with it around
my neck on a light lanyard where it is always handy.

Vaughn

Old March 28th 05, 02:50 PM
COLIN LAMB

Interesting to see JRC trashed, as they are a respected manufacturer. Here
is a quote from "Receivers Past & Present":

"The Japan Radio Company was established in 1915 and is one of the oldest
and largest electronics manufacturing companies in the world. J.R.C. is a
respected leader in marine radio equipment ... and avionics."

The JRC line of radio receivers are considered top of the line.
Headquarters for Vertex, Icom and JRC are all in Japan.

If the radio is not transmitting properly, I would read the manual and check
the antenna and do not assume that it is the radio because it does not say
Icom. Icom and Vertex are sold in large quantities to hams and are more
well known than JRC here in the US, but that is simply due to marketing and
not quality.

Colin N12HS

Old March 28th 05, 05:27 PM
Tim Mara

What I'm not understanding from your message is "is the radio's speaker weak
((low volume)) or is the receiver not not receiving.....if it's the later it
can be the antenna, the typical rubber duck antenna is not high performance
but designed to be "convenient" and all handehld radios will suffer some
from this antenna type.
Generally the JHP radios ahve been very well received and highly dependable
......I sell JHP, Icom and Vertex as well as Walter Dittel handhelds.....all
ahve features and benefits and all have a following......all also, including
the JHP radios have good service and warranty...if there is any problem with
the radio I'm certain it can be replaced or repaired without question
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old March 28th 05, 05:44 PM

Tim, it's neither. When someone uses the handheld on the ground when
I'm flying in my glider, the transmission is very weak. So much so
that I have to close all the vents and turn up the volume considerably
to hear what they are saying. The radio operates just fine; it's just
that it doesn't seem to transmit well.
I'm only guessing, but I'd put my money on the antenna as the problem.