Movie, "Winged Migration" on STARZ this Sat

Old December 10th 03, 12:55 AM
Martin Hellman

Default Movie, "Winged Migration" on STARZ this Sat

I just noticed that the highly praised movie "Winged Migration" will
be aired on STARZ this Saturday, Dec 13 at 8:45 as well as five other
times (once more Sat then twice each on Tues and Wed of the following
week). I've scheduled it to record and thought a number of others
might appreciate knowing of this.

Enjoy.

Martin
Old December 10th 03, 09:52 PM
Marc Ramsey

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Someone at work suggested not letting the kids watch it because there
is a bad plane crash in the begining. Is this true? My kids love to
ride in the plane, I don't want to scare them.

As I remember it, an ultralight crashes at fairly slow speed into water,
no one is hurt (and I think it was in the "Making of...", not the actual
movie). What would have gotten to my kid (had she not been thoroughly
bored by this point) was a scene toward the end where an albatross pulls
a cute penguin chick away its parents, and starts feasting on it...

Marc

Old December 11th 03, 12:49 AM
Teacherjh

As I remember it, an ultralight crashes at fairly slow speed into water,
no one is hurt (and I think it was in the "Making of...", not the actual
movie).

I saw the movie in a theater. Nothing crashed.

Jose

Old December 14th 03, 10:40 PM
TooPlaneCrazy7

The crash you guys are talking about is probably "Fly Away Home" which was
about a girl who built a glider to soar with the birds.

She crashed and died.
Old December 15th 03, 03:51 AM
sandpebble

This site has a downloadable theatrical trailer for the movie:
http://www.ultimatedvd.org/nl/Traile...Trailer_Id=900
The high resolution Quicktime file is 17.4MB, and the clip is two minutes long.
Sandpebble
Old December 15th 03, 07:54 AM
Montblack

("TooPlaneCrazy7" wrote)
The crash you guys are talking about is probably "Fly Away Home" which was
about a girl who built a glider to soar with the birds.

She crashed and died.

Um, first rule in making a kid's movie - Don't kill Bambi.

Bambi's mom, however .....

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

Old December 15th 03, 09:19 PM
Corky Scott

On 15 Dec 2003 12:03:10 -0800, (Malcolm Teas) wrote:

(Robert M. Gary) wrote in message . com...
(Martin Hellman) wrote in message . com...
I just noticed that the highly praised movie "Winged Migration" will
be aired on STARZ this Saturday, Dec 13 at 8:45 as well as five other
times (once more Sat then twice each on Tues and Wed of the following
week). I've scheduled it to record and thought a number of others
might appreciate knowing of this.

Someone at work suggested not letting the kids watch it because there
is a bad plane crash in the begining. Is this true? My kids love to
ride in the plane, I don't want to scare them.

There was no crash in the screen version that I saw. There were
scenes of humans hunting birds, and birds eating other birds however.

For the time that your kids do hear of an airplane crash, think of all
the times that they hear of car crashes and still ride in the car.
Not sure if it helps, but comparison is one way to understand and
manage the perception of risk.

-Malcolm Teas

I think someone is mixing up two movies. There's the one called
"Winged Migration" which is a pure nature film and follows mostly
water fowl from their summer residence to their winter home, and back
again, in breathtakingly spectacular photography.

Then there's "Fly Away Home" which is semi ficticious and is about a
guy who, with his daughter and flying in two ultralights, leads a
small flock of Canada geese from Canada to a winter home near the
Virginia/Chesapeake area. In this movie, the father has a wire snap
during the "migration" and he spirals down to a crashish type landing
and breaks his arm.

The movie was based on the inital attempt to lead geese to their
winter grounds using an ultralight. It worked. Flying with the geese
was documented in the film "C'mon Geese", which pops up in Public TV
every so often.

Corky Scott