Licensing Question - US

Old December 9th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Default Licensing Question - US

Does anyone know if all new Private Glider pilots are given their SSN as
their license number?

I want to get, as a xmas gift, a plaque that's a copy of their license,
but they only just took their checkride yesterday so it will be a while
before their permanent license arrives.
Old December 9th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

I got my PPG 2 years ago, and my certificate number is NOT my SSN. In
fact, I was under the impression that the FAA was trying to expunge
SSN from their databases. So why would they suddenly start using SSN
as certificate numbers? It's my belief that the certificate number is
not related to SSN...

-John

Old December 9th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah Anderson[_2_]

Right. SSNs are on the way out: http://tinyurl.com/ywszv7

(which is:
http://www.nafinet.org/news/2002%20-...0-%20FAA%20To%
20Stop%20Using%20SSNs%20as%20Pilot%20Certificate%2 0Numbers%2
0on%20June%201.html
)

Sarah

Old December 9th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

jcarlyle wrote:
I got my PPG 2 years ago, and my certificate number is NOT my SSN. In
fact, I was under the impression that the FAA was trying to expunge
SSN from their databases. So why would they suddenly start using SSN
as certificate numbers? It's my belief that the certificate number is
not related to SSN...

Just to give a little more recent data point, I got mine in April and no
SSN to be found.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old December 10th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gliderman

On Dec 9, 9:17 am, Michael Ash wrote:
jcarlyle wrote:
I got my PPG 2 years ago, and my certificate number is NOT my SSN. In
fact, I was under the impression that the FAA was trying to expunge
SSN from their databases. So why would they suddenly start using SSN
as certificate numbers? It's my belief that the certificate number is
not related to SSN...

Just to give a little more recent data point, I got mine in April and no
SSN to be found.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software

I watched an application being filled out a couple of weeks ago. There
is still a place to write in your SSN if you want to use that as your
license number. Immediately below that is box that you can check to
have the FAA assign you an unrelated number.

The examiner said the FAA is trying to discourage the use of your SSN,
but the applicant makes the choice.
Old December 10th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Gary Emerson" wrote in message
Does anyone know if all new Private Glider pilots are given their SSN as their
license number?

I want to get, as a xmas gift, a plaque that's a copy of their license, but
they only just took their checkride yesterday so it will be a while before
their permanent license arrives.

Others have answered the question very well. The licenses will probably
come with unique numbers.

Just another point. I wouldn't display my SSN on a wall plaque, not even
inside my own home.

When I first received my CFIG (8 or 10 years ago) the FAA had just changed
the application so you could request a license number that was not your SSN#.
My examiner thought it rather strange that I did not want my SSN on my license
(and did not want to enshrine it in every student's logbook). How things have
changed!

Vaughn

FAA Licensing and Renal Failure mdginzo Piloting 2 September 20th 07 10:28 PM
Hypothetical ?? About Licensing Kyle Boatright Piloting 5 March 14th 07 12:59 PM
Gyro's and Licensing TM Rotorcraft 0 December 31st 06 01:56 AM
licensing for homebuilts Tater Schuld Home Built 24 February 27th 06 11:55 AM
BGA and licensing Mark James Boyd Soaring 6 August 24th 04 03:16 AM