cruise vs. climb article location

Old March 14th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN

Default cruise vs. climb article location

I am looking for an article from several years ago that discussed the
relative importance of climb rate as compared to speed to fly between
thermals. This was a fairly detailed comparison of percentage impact on net
speed, emphasizing that 5-10mph cruise errors was far less important than
selection and optimal use of best thermals. If anyone remembers where this
article is , I would appreciate your helping me find it. Thanks, SZ

Old March 14th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 14, 10:02 am, "SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN"
wrote:
I am looking for an article from several years ago that discussed the
relative importance of climb rate as compared to speed to fly between
thermals. This was a fairly detailed comparison of percentage impact on net
speed, emphasizing that 5-10mph cruise errors was far less important than
selection and optimal use of best thermals. If anyone remembers where this
article is , I would appreciate your helping me find it. Thanks, SZ

Maybe in the Soaring Symposia?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=soaring+symposia

Frank

Old March 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN wrote:
I am looking for an article from several years ago that discussed the
relative importance of climb rate as compared to speed to fly between
thermals. This was a fairly detailed comparison of percentage impact on net
speed, emphasizing that 5-10mph cruise errors was far less important than
selection and optimal use of best thermals. If anyone remembers where this
article is , I would appreciate your helping me find it. Thanks, SZ

Try this:
http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/john.c...s/newmcred.pdf
and:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~arjanvd/flyingfaster.pdf

Shawn
Old March 14th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

Just calculating the cruise speed in Excel will help as well with the
help of the polar. This shows that flying 10% faster or slower will
decrease max cruise (with a modern 15-meter class glider) with less
than a percent disadvantage...

Old March 15th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_4_]

I second Shawn! John Cochrane's "Just a little faster please" article is
well written, condensed and excellent information
PeterK
http://www.xs4all.nl/~arjanvd/flyingfaster.pdf

. ..

Old March 19th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SAM 303a

I think what you're looking for is part 2 of John Cochrane's article "Just a
Little Faster, Please" located at
http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/john.c...ers/#maccready

ups.com...
wrote:
I am looking for an article from several years ago that discussed the
relative importance of climb rate as compared to speed to fly between
thermals. This was a fairly detailed comparison of percentage impact on
net
speed, emphasizing that 5-10mph cruise errors was far less important than
selection and optimal use of best thermals. If anyone remembers where
this
article is , I would appreciate your helping me find it. Thanks, SZ

Maybe in the Soaring Symposia?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=soaring+symposia

Frank

Flap handle activated Climb/Cruise switching Andy Smielkiewicz Soaring 5 March 14th 05 04:54 AM
Rate of climb Dillon Pyron Home Built 3 May 8th 04 01:08 PM
Using thermals to climb? Kees Mies Piloting 41 April 27th 04 02:29 PM
172 N Climb Performance Roger Long Piloting 6 September 10th 03 11:18 PM
More About Leaning During Climb Dan Luke Owning 13 July 11th 03 02:36 PM