Another ownership question

Old November 20th 03, 04:14 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

Maintenance doesn't have to be a bank-killer. There are more
cost-effective ways (read: owner-assisted annuals and preventative
maintenance) to keep a bird airworthy.

[snip]
True... although I've got a somewhat skewed view since I've got a
unique agreement with my partners. They buy the parts, I put them on, the
mechanic inspects and signs it off.

Oh, did I remember to mention that I'm all thumbs with a wrench? To
paraphrase Groucho Marx, I would not fly in an airplane that I maintained.

: Of course all this doesn't mean I don't fantasize about owning an
: airplane, but for me that fantasy also includes getting a windfall of at
: least $100,000 first

Aw... a descent-shape PA-28-140 can be had for $25-30k.

I have expensive aircraft fantasies plus that one would include
having money left over to defray a lot of the fixed costs.

I guess
my problem with flight clubs is that they cannot be run "cheaply."
Everything costs more when it's a club... insurance goes up (a lot!),
engine overhaul must be paid for in advance and done by the book (pay a
mechanic to take it off, send to to have overhauled, etc), etc, etc.

I see that as a good thing.

BTW, talk to me again in 6 months when I cussing working on the friggin'
thing again at annual time!

I hear ya. I have a boat that I hate taking care of, so I figure
given that experience I better not take on an airplane unless I am
willing to write a lot of checks. What kind of airplane do you and
your partners own?

Mike
--
PP-ASEL
PA28-161

Old November 20th 03, 05:18 PM

TTA Cherokee Driver wrote:
: Aw... a descent-shape PA-28-140 can be had for $25-30k.

: I have expensive aircraft fantasies plus that one would include
: having money left over to defray a lot of the fixed costs.

Better rent then...

: I guess
: my problem with flight clubs is that they cannot be run "cheaply."
: Everything costs more when it's a club... insurance goes up (a lot!),
: engine overhaul must be paid for in advance and done by the book (pay a
: mechanic to take it off, send to to have overhauled, etc), etc, etc.

: I see that as a good thing.

I'm trying to be the cheap ******* aircraft owner/operator. I'd
prefer not to pay for incorporation fees, club-rate insurance, and
inflated engine overhaul funds. Just pay for the real expenses, and don't
spend more than you have to.

: BTW, talk to me again in 6 months when I cussing working on the friggin'
: thing again at annual time!

: I hear ya. I have a boat that I hate taking care of, so I figure
: given that experience I better not take on an airplane unless I am
: willing to write a lot of checks. What kind of airplane do you and
: your partners own?

Boats are holes in the water you put money into. Never thought it
could be topped until I got involved with aviation. Our plane is a '69
Cherokee 180 that we've finally gotten up to snuff. Mechanically pretty
sound (after a quick $1500 top job), and fresh used digital old-school
King IFR stack.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old November 20th 03, 08:00 PM
Montblack

("TTA Cherokee Driver" wrote)
In fact my brother-in-law owns an Archer which he's had for a long time
and has long since paid off. I was envious, until I learned he hasn't
flown since January and the plane is just sitting there rotting because
he can't justify keeping up with the fixed costs for the flying he's
doing (it doesn't help he's been laid off and is in a tight spot).

Grab 3 other people and buy the plane from your sister's hubby. You'd be
helping out a family member in need. g

BTW - did anyone else think it ironic (in the KX-155 LEDs thread) that one
fix for cleaning connections (gold? silver?) was to polish them with a
dollar bill?

Let us know how things go with your new Archer partnership. You 4 going to
hangar that rascal, or just tie it down the first year?

--
Montblack

Old November 20th 03, 08:43 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

Montblack wrote:

("TTA Cherokee Driver" wrote)

In fact my brother-in-law owns an Archer which he's had for a long time
and has long since paid off. I was envious, until I learned he hasn't
flown since January and the plane is just sitting there rotting because
he can't justify keeping up with the fixed costs for the flying he's
doing (it doesn't help he's been laid off and is in a tight spot).

Grab 3 other people and buy the plane from your sister's hubby. You'd be
helping out a family member in need. g

He's got too much pride to sell that plane, and even if he did I have a
rule about not buying cars, planes or boats from relatives, or selling
such to them -- it's much better for family harmony that way, as I've
learned through experience (wanna buy a boat that has only had one other
owner, my father .

Let us know how things go with your new Archer partnership. You 4 going to
hangar that rascal, or just tie it down the first year?

you're good, you should go into sales

Mike

Old November 21st 03, 12:07 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Montblack" writes:

("TTA Cherokee Driver" wrote)
In fact my brother-in-law owns an Archer which he's had for a long time
and has long since paid off. I was envious, until I learned he hasn't
flown since January and the plane is just sitting there rotting because
he can't justify keeping up with the fixed costs for the flying he's
doing (it doesn't help he's been laid off and is in a tight spot).

Grab 3 other people and buy the plane from your sister's hubby. You'd be
helping out a family member in need. g

BTW - did anyone else think it ironic (in the KX-155 LEDs thread) that one
fix for cleaning connections (gold? silver?) was to polish them with a
dollar bill?

Yes, this seemed all wrong for aviation -- shouldn't it have been at
least a $50?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old November 21st 03, 03:20 AM
Montblack

E-mail me off group about your boat. Thanks.

I'm the current owner of *my* dad's boat - 16 ft money sucking machine with
a propeller g.

My sister might be getting the "family" boat (free) for Christmas evil
grin.

Redecking project is almost complete - marine plywood cut/spar
varnished/glue/marine carpet/stainless hardware/etc. Completion (a.k.a. -
reinstall pieces into das boat) can wait 'till April. Boat's in its own
little winter cocoon now.

Family calls my season-end "keep snow and rain out of the boat" effort The
Aircraft Carrier. I built an 8 ft high wall x about 12 ft long (with 16"
stud centers) then set it down, across the boat. I attached 7 short legs,
which raise the starboard side up - for water runoff. The legs also lift the
(framed only) wall over the steering console (no windshield on this fishing
boat). Bought a 15'x25' brown/green tarp at Menard's to cover the whole
thing. Whole setup (lumber/screws/tarp/bungees) cost $40 max. When
disassembled, the lumber fits between 2 stud sections in the garage - for
summer storage. Cheapest part of ownership has been putting the boat away on
the slab for the season. g

12" of snow forecast for the Twin Cities this weekend.

Mont with black then at
then the "wave" plus the "front"
and a dot then the com