EJECT!

Old December 10th 03, 08:30 PM
Viperdoc

At least flying acro if you don't look around at the horizons there's no way
of knowing whether the wings are level. The only way to insure this it to
check both wing tips relative to the horizon by looking at each, as well as
over your shoulder on verticals, or straight up on a 45 downline, etc .

Pulling g's during these maneuvers does not "mess you up".

Old December 10th 03, 09:12 PM
EDR

Is there supposed to be a soundtrack accompanying the video clip?
Old December 10th 03, 09:19 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Now wait just a minute there Paul! Idaho may not be the biggest state
or one of the best known states, but we aren't at the far reaches of
the universe eiher! ;]

I was at the airshow and watched the ejection and subsequent crash in
person. Seeing the cockpit video was interesting because it provided
a different perspective from what I had seen...

Dean Wilkinson

Are you saying the crash was kept secret? Or the video? Because it's
pretty hard to keep something secret when it happens at an airshow in
front of thousands of spectators. Even if it's in Idaho.

Old December 10th 03, 09:32 PM
Robert M. Gary

I've heard that the modern seats should do 0/0 (zero airspeed and zero
altitude). The trick is getting enough altitude for the chute to
deploy correctly. That's how my dad died. He ejected from his A-7 on
the ground after the tail hook caught and then broke. His chute didn't
fully deploy before he hit the ground. The plane blew up after hitting
the rocks.

Thunderbird F-16 cockpit video of ejection at Mountain Home AFB crash.

http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/eject.mpg

Old December 11th 03, 01:05 AM
Brian Burger

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Dean Wilkinson wrote:

Now wait just a minute there Paul! Idaho may not be the biggest state
or one of the best known states, but we aren't at the far reaches of
the universe eiher! ;]

I was at the airshow and watched the ejection and subsequent crash in
person. Seeing the cockpit video was interesting because it provided
a different perspective from what I had seen...

Does anyone know if this was a 'live' video feed being trasmitted out of
the cockpit in realtime, or a recording that was later recovered from the
wreckage?

Just curious as to how wired up the display teams are...

Brian.

Old December 11th 03, 08:15 AM
Morgans

"Nathan Young" wrote What caused the
accident? I would be interested to hear additional
details. Obviously the pilot got too low on the back side of the
loop, but what caused this?
-Inadequate height before starting the loop
-Inadequate pull during the loop
-Stall

-Nathan

One possibility is bird FOD, or other catestrophic engine failure. One
video showed a shower of sparks, as the thrust was brought back up at the
bottom of the loop.

--
Jim in NC

Old December 11th 03, 01:24 PM
Big John

Any word on results of accident investigation?

I saw on TV the Thunderbirds flying a five ship formation (vs their
normal 6 ship) in their last show of the season at Nellis.

Nothing has been published in AW & ST since accident.

I won't try to second guess the report.

Wonder whose camera was in cockpit (and who released the 'film')? Have
never heard about an 'official' camera in cockpits of Thunderbirds?

Big John

Old December 11th 03, 07:39 PM
Jim Fisher

"Dean Wilkinson" wrote in message
m...
Now wait just a minute there Paul! Idaho may not be the biggest state
or one of the best known states, but we aren't at the far reaches of
the universe eiher! ;]

Dean,

I'm afraid you are mistaken. Scientists have recently uncovered the exact
location of Idaho as well as Iowa. I am not making this up.

Check out the following map of the Universe and see for yourself:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ssoccer/universe.jpeg

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 11th 03, 07:46 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
I'm afraid you are mistaken. Scientists have recently uncovered the exact
location of Idaho as well as Iowa. I am not making this up.

Check out the following map of the Universe and see for yourself:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ssoccer/universe.jpeg

Oh, give me a break. Any idiot can tell that the labeled states in that map
are NOT in fact Iowa or Idaho. Sheesh...what kind of fools do you take us
for? They bear the unmistakable shapes of Texas and Alaska.