CAI-302 Logfile Date

Old June 5th 13, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default CAI-302 Logfile Date

After reading the Colibri V1 thread, I had a similar issue yesterday.

Upon submitting the log from my 302 to OLC, the flight didn't appear with
today's date. Investigating, I found a 2005 date for the flight. I simply
submitted the log from my Dell Streak 5 which runs XCSoar to get credit for
the flight.

Next time I fly I'll see if it works correctly. It's been less than 2 years
since I sent it to Gary for repair, calibration, and battery replacement. I
hope I don't have the same problem as the Colibri.

Dan

Old June 5th 13, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Dan,

The date problem with 302 was probably caused by taking-off before the 302
had locked on to satellites.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
______________________________

Old June 5th 13, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Prather[_2_]

I second Paul's observations. This happened to me a few weeks ago with my
302 and I'm pretty sure I took off before the satellites had locked on. The
IGC file had over 20 data points from the midwest (Paul's country), though
I fly in Northern NV and the file date was 2005. It's worked fine on
several flights since.

David Prather

Old June 5th 13, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Premature aviation... nothing to be ashamed of...
Old June 5th 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ouch!

OK, I'll fire it up sooner next time. Thanks, Guys!

Dan

Old June 6th 13, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Tech

Cambridge Model 10/20/25 and 302/302A recorders contain Garmin
Receivers used for GPS reception. These receivers use internal (a
metal shielding cover needs to be unsoldered for access) 3v
rechargeable batteries. This battery keeps a memory chip "alive" when
the recorder is turned off. Most of these receiver batteries are
starting to or already have reached end of life (unable to hold a
charge) due to their age. These Garmin internal batteries have nothing
at all to do with the 3v security batteries that need to be replaced
every few years.

One of the side effects of failing batteries are what y'all have been
describing. Basically the Garmin has lost it's memory and defaults to
its original settings. Since the last date, time and location are lost
when the device is turned off, it can take awhile, sometimes a very
long while depending on which version of the Garmin Receiver is
installed in the product, before it determines where it is and
subsequently locks onto enough satellites to get a 3D fix and update
it's memory. Depending on the state of the battery the stored data may
be lost as soon as it's turned off or however long the battery can
keep the memory refreshed.....an hour, day, week.......it will vary
and get worse.

Sometimes, not often and I'm not sure why, the Garmin receivers will
get a fix but not update the date correctly. At that sorry point they
will need to be serviced by a qualified service tech. The rechargeable
battery can be replaced with a new one and the Garmin can be
reconfigured.

ST
Old June 7th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Interesting... Thanks!

"Soaring Tech" wrote in message
[...]

CAI 302 date problem Bernie[_4_] Soaring 21 May 6th 16 02:38 AM
FSDO enforcement- GPS before effective date - which date to put in Aircraft Log for Part 43? Ron A. Instrument Flight Rules 18 March 15th 06 02:30 PM
First Date Jay Honeck Piloting 35 September 14th 05 04:42 AM
GPS 90b out of date? Roger Long Piloting 2 August 8th 03 03:58 PM
Need a date.... Sagz525 Instrument Flight Rules 2 July 23rd 03 02:34 PM