Co-Pilot Needed (URGENT)

Old July 12th 05, 11:12 PM
john smith

Mark Hansen wrote:
"... if anyone gets in your airspace, give 'em the finger"

Subject: History of the middle finger
Well, now, here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it,
I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the
hope that they, too, will feel edified.
Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Giving the Finger

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory
over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured
English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to
draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable
of fighting in the future.

This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act
of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset
and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the
defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!"

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant
cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental
fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with! the
one-finger-salute!
It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the
longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

And you thought yew knew everything!
Old July 12th 05, 11:22 PM
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

Yet another urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.htm

--
Peter

Old July 12th 05, 11:36 PM
Jimmy B.

Marco Leon wrote:
That actually brings up an interesting point. Does anyone know what
coordination needs to happen with the FAA? Are they even involved other than
clearing the airspace?

Marco Leon

There is a huge restricted airspace east of Canaveral. It's active for
several hours before the shuttle comes down. I believe the inner slice
is ground to FL600 and the outer slice is ground to infinite.

Basically, the shuttle never comes withing 25 miles of another aircraft
coming down.

"Blanche" wrote in message

"Mission Control clears SMS to Canaveral via thrust vectors, Up,
Hold Earth, right turns, expect further clearance in ten days."

http://www.usenet.com

Old July 12th 05, 11:52 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
john smith wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
"... if anyone gets in your airspace, give 'em the finger"

Well, now, here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it,
I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the
hope that they, too, will feel edified.
Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Giving the Finger

Good try, but seems to be an urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.htm
Old July 12th 05, 11:54 PM
Roy Smith

Jimmy B. wrote:
There is a huge restricted airspace east of Canaveral. It's active for
several hours before the shuttle comes down. I believe the inner slice
is ground to FL600 and the outer slice is ground to infinite.

I'm sure the distinction is very important to all of us who fly things
capable of getting above FL600 :-)
Old July 13th 05, 12:29 AM
Robert M. Gary

No type certificate required for gov't owned/operated aircraft. Public
owned aircraft don't have the same FAA pilot requirements. This applies
to military as well. Any gov't agency may decide FAA type ratings are
required for their agency though.

Old July 13th 05, 12:39 AM
Robert M. Gary

Calling the shuttle a "glider" is a bit of a stretch. It basically
comes straight down. Your Cessna in a red line power on nose dive could
never keep up with the rate of decent. There is the approach plate out
there for the space shuttle. As I recall, it turns base at about 30,000
feet. I'm sure it easily stays over 60,000 outside the Edwards
airspace.

-Robert

Old July 13th 05, 01:01 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 7/12/05 7:44 AM, in article , "IFR_Pilot"
spewed:

Co-Pilot Needed

Urgent - for 12-day, long-range mission Departure tomorrow!
Space shuttle experience appreciated, but not necessary (will train).

Pay scale : $12.50/hour (no shuttle time)
Up to $18.00/hour (type rated and current).

Do you need a current medical? Just asking for Dudley.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old July 13th 05, 02:47 AM
Ed

Is there a website you can go to self-test for a sense of humor?

Old July 13th 05, 02:48 AM
Ed

Might need renters insurance too.

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in