X-Plane Install

Old June 19th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
George Graham

Default X-Plane Install

After reading the great article in EAA Mag about the X-Plane flight
simulator, I went online and bought a copy. I installed it and the
scenery disk per instructions, even logged into the online help and
downloaded the Cozy IV airplane. I can fly it from my home airport
(ksrq) in Florida. I have made great progress for my age, with a very
complicated piece of software.

But I have very basic questions still unanswered, so I'm hoping that
one of you can help me out. I have version 8.60

1. Do I have to leave the DVD in the drive always ? It goes into
demo mode if it is not found in the drive.

2. Which scenery files do I need to fly locally ? What I see is very
poor.

3. How can I obtain an instruction manual ?

4. Is there a better way to find answers ?

Thank you very much,

George

Old June 19th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

I think there's a usenet group on simulators - you might get better
info there.

Or maybe you can e-mail the author of the EAA article. I read it too
- interestin.

Old June 19th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
George Graham

On Jun 19, 3:17 pm, Paul kgyy wrote:
I think there's a usenet group on simulators - you might get better
info there.

Thanks Paul, Sure enough there is a rec.aviation.simulator group.

George

Old June 19th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jun 19, 1:18 pm, George Graham wrote:
On Jun 19, 3:17 pm, Paul kgyy wrote: I think there's a usenet group on simulators - you might get better
info there.

Thanks Paul, Sure enough there is a rec.aviation.simulator group.

George

also, you can try x-plane.org

Old June 19th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:58:48 -0700, George Graham wrote:

But I have very basic questions still unanswered, so I'm hoping that
one of you can help me out. I have version 8.60

Go to Avsim:
http://www.avsim.com/

Across the top you'll see "Forums" - click on that

On the forums page search for "Forums in Other Flight Simulation Software
conference"

The 3rd one down will be the The X-Plane Forum.

--
Dallas
Old June 19th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
George Graham

On Jun 19, 5:50 pm, buttman wrote:

also, you can try x-plane.org

Thank you, I have spent days trying to navigate that site. There is
so much in that forest, that I can't find a tree. Somewhere on that
site, I read that you must post answers twice before you can post a
question. Can you imagine what my answers would be ?

I may well be too stupid to utilize this powerful program. If I had
only wanted to fly around california in a 172, I could have managed.

What I want, is to get the sim to fly like my bird, then test some
alterations.

Do you fly it Buttman ?

Old June 20th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article m,
George Graham wrote:

1. Do I have to leave the DVD in the drive always ?

I don't know for sure, I assumed it was part of a anti-piracy mechanism.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old June 20th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jun 19, 3:31 pm, George Graham wrote:
On Jun 19, 5:50 pm, buttman wrote:

also, you can try x-plane.org

Thank you, I have spent days trying to navigate that site. There is
so much in that forest, that I can't find a tree. Somewhere on that
site, I read that you must post answers twice before you can post a
question. Can you imagine what my answers would be ?

I may well be too stupid to utilize this powerful program. If I had
only wanted to fly around california in a 172, I could have managed.

What I want, is to get the sim to fly like my bird, then test some
alterations.

Do you fly it Buttman ?

We have X-Plane powered FTD's at the flight school I work at, and I've
messed around with the program a bit on my PC. The sound kept
crackling, and there was nothing I could do to get it to stop. I even
bought a new sound card, but the crackling still persisted. After I
get my computer settled from my recent switch to linux, I'll try to
give it another shot.

Old June 20th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

We have X-Plane powered FTD's at the flight school I work at, and I've
messed around with the program a bit on my PC. The sound kept
crackling, and there was nothing I could do to get it to stop. I even
bought a new sound card, but the crackling still persisted. After I
get my computer settled from my recent switch to linux, I'll try to
give it another shot.

What you are describing seems to be all-too common with X-plane.

We bought a copy for our Kiwi flight simulator (see it he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm) because a friend of
mine wanted to have a whack at modeling the RV-10 he's building. We
had high hopes.

Unfortunately, the program is immensely complex, and (in my opinion)
buggy as hell. Anyone who lambastes Microsoft for Flight Simulator
would NEVER have the patience or fortitude to make X-plane work
properly.

Problems abounded. Even on a 104 inch projection screen, the fonts
were so small that we couldn't read the cryptic on-screen
instructions. The crackling noise you heard sounded just as bad on
the Kiwi, only it was being blasted through a 6-speaker surround-sound
system. Getting the program to recognize the flight controls was a
pain, and they never did feel right.

I'm sure ALL of this could be fixed, but who's got the time? It hasn't
been touched more than five times since we bought it. I can't
remember the last time anyone tried.

In short, if you have nothing better to do than tinker with software,
X-plane is for you. If you actually want to fly the sim, nothing
beats Flight Simulator.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 20th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Proctor

Unfortunately, the program is immensely complex, and (in my opinion)
buggy as hell. Anyone who lambastes Microsoft for Flight Simulator
would NEVER have the patience or fortitude to make X-plane work
properly.

You don't have a choice if you want to run something other than
windows. X-plane run pretty good on my mac. As far as the original
question you have to create a disk image and mount it to run without
the dvd.

Can't install FSX Blue Simulators 6 November 22nd 06 09:42 PM
A-65 Baffles - when to install? Michael Horowitz Home Built 0 March 27th 05 06:26 PM
New Lycoming Install Evan Carew Home Built 2 October 9th 04 04:10 AM
Hours to install S-TEC?? Frode Berg Piloting 1 May 7th 04 01:54 AM
Can I install on more than one computer? FCY-SAM Simulators 1 August 2nd 03 06:07 PM