source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Old July 28th 19, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

On Wednesday, June 24, 1998 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Al wrote:
Lets just say ...."Adaquate" as per Rolls Royce discussing anything mechanical
in their sales brochures.

Regards

Al

Armand A. Medeiros wrote:

Al wrote:

Thanks for all the input guys..

I am now the proud owner of a plethora of clips courtesy of Tim at Wings &
Wheels.

Regards

Al.

What kind? Chinsy little things that are .004" to large or good ones
like original equipment? Just curious....

AAM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but my Google-Fu is weak, and in all my searching online I have not been able to find a source for these clips. I'm facing needing to comply with the AD 94-001, and can't find a source for the clips. Anyone have one? It is for a standard airworthiness certificated glider.
Old July 28th 19, 06:21 PM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Foster View Post

Armand A. Medeiros wrote:

Al wrote:

Thanks for all the input guys..

I am now the proud owner of a plethora of clips courtesy of Tim at Wings &
Wheels.

Regards

Al.

What kind? Chinsy little things that are .004" to large or good ones
like original equipment? Just curious....

AAM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but my Google-Fu is weak, and in all my searching online I have not been able to find a source for these clips. I'm facing needing to comply with the AD 94-001, and can't find a source for the clips. Anyone have one? It is for a standard airworthiness certificated glider.
Williams in California . I ordered some clips a couple months ago they are available in right and left hand. They are not easy to install through a ASW 20 access hole but are easily tested . Push the button down if it depresses all the way it's not installed correctly .
I use a medical forceps to work in the ones that are further away from the access . They seem to go easier after a few assemblies .
Not cheap but better than pins falling out of your hand into the fuselage .
Old July 28th 19, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I use a hemostat for handling the clips as a gentle squeeze locks them
and I can even let them dangle on the end of the clip's retention string.

I got a bag of 50 chrome plated clips for the Hotelier fittings in my
glider.Â* I measured the diameter of the spring wire and made a search.Â*
Here's an example of what you can get from Grainger:
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...p-Safety-3LX83

Armand A. Medeiros wrote:
-

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 29th 19, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Armand A. Medeiros wrote:

Al wrote:

Thanks for all the input guys..

I am now the proud owner of a plethora of clips courtesy of Tim at Wings &
Wheels.

Regards

Al.

What kind? Chinsy little things that are .004" to large or good ones
like original equipment? Just curious....

AAM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but my Google-Fu is weak, and in all my searching online I have not been able to find a source for these clips. I'm facing needing to comply with the AD 94-001, and can't find a source for the clips. Anyone have one? It is for a standard airworthiness certificated glider.

Hi John F,
I'm familiar with the Phoebus, You will find that the only cheap securing device that clears the tubes in the fuselage is safety wire. Even the smallest pins, R or otherwise will not clear, as the control rods do not stay exactly in the center of the tube. Wedekind sleeves may work, but require 'plunger/wedge'LL'hotelier ends and I'll bet your phoebus has 'rotating cams' replacing the 'rotating cam LL'hoteliers with the 'plunger/wedge' might be close to $1800 then you have to buy the Wedekind sleeves.
For What its worth, when you drill the cam plate make sure you have a ball end in the LL'hotelier as the location of the hole is critical.

I have also heard of a Schempp-hirth pin/clip but I have never seen one in real life.
Best of luck,
Scott
Old July 29th 19, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Armand A. Medeiros wrote:

Al wrote:

[...]

here's a helpful article;
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/wedekind
Old August 1st 19, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Armand A. Medeiros wrote:

Al wrote:

[...]

Well, I found a source for the pins, and it's local to me, of all places--Ace Hardware! 0.047" (1.2mm) dia. by 19/32" (15mm) long. When I insert them into the holes I drilled, they barely protrude beyond the diameter of the push rod, and will easily clear the holes in the wing root rib. 32 cents each.
Old August 1st 19, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Armand A. Medeiros wrote:

Al wrote:

[...]

When the Ace clerks ask me what I'm looking for, I always reply that I'm headed to the aircraft parts section. (usually for the metric stuff).
Old August 2nd 19, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Well, I found a source for the pins, and it's local to me, of all places--Ace Hardware! 0.047" (1.2mm) dia. by 19/32" (15mm) long. When I insert them into the holes I drilled, they barely protrude beyond the diameter of the push rod, and will easily clear the holes in the wing root rib. 32 cents each.

So which pins did you end up using? The "bobbie" pins or other? Enquiring minds want to know

Bruce
Old August 2nd 19, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

I suggest small R clips, the safety pin type are very hard to put in.
Old August 2nd 19, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 8:09:20 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

Well, I found a source for the pins, and it's local to me, of all places--Ace Hardware! 0.047" (1.2mm) dia. by 19/32" (15mm) long. When I insert them into the holes I drilled, they barely protrude beyond the diameter of the push rod, and will easily clear the holes in the wing root rib. 32 cents each.

So which pins did you end up using? The "bobbie" pins or other? Enquiring minds want to know

Bruce

If you have Facebook, check this link out:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater