Flying Magazine's Instrument Flying 1973

Old January 4th 04, 06:44 AM
Bill Carton - (The Roadie)

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

So what? If the subject line does not interest you don't open the message.

A common and bankrupt defense often heard from spammers and newsgroup
abusers. Off-charter postings fail the simple question "what if everybody
did it?"

If you check the Usenet rules, I believe they prohibit posts selling stuff
in any group other those designated (i.e., xxx.marketplace). As Bob said,
take it to the marketplace groups where it belongs(and stop being a
hypocrite).

No hypocrite I. I've no objection to anyone using this forum to alert
others to item's pertaining to IFR flying.

But Earthlink's Acceptable Use Policy does object:

"m.News. EarthLink Members should use their best judgment when posting to
any newsgroup. Many groups have charters, published guidelines, FAQs, or
"community standards" describing what is and is not considered appropriate.
Usenet can be a valuable resource if used properly. The continued posting
of off-topic articles is prohibited. Commercial advertisements are
off-topic in most newsgroups, especially regional groups not specifically
named for such. The presence of such articles in a group is not indicative
of the group's "intended" use. Please familiarize yourself with basic
Usenet netiquette before posting to a newsgroup."
--
Bill "the Roadie" Carton
Old January 4th 04, 01:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Carton - (The Roadie)" wrote in message

But Earthlink's Acceptable Use Policy does object:

"m.News. EarthLink Members should use their best judgment when posting to
any newsgroup. Many groups have charters, published guidelines, FAQs, or
"community standards" describing what is and is not considered

appropriate.
Usenet can be a valuable resource if used properly. The continued posting
of off-topic articles is prohibited. Commercial advertisements are
off-topic in most newsgroups, especially regional groups not specifically
named for such. The presence of such articles in a group is not indicative
of the group's "intended" use. Please familiarize yourself with basic
Usenet netiquette before posting to a newsgroup."

"The charter of rec.aviation.ifr is:"

"Articles related to flight under Instrument Flight Rules. Regulatory
questions, communications, procedures, charts, training methods, maintaining
proficiency, recurrent training, instruments and equipment, questions, and
experiences."

No mention of commercial advertisements and a publication on instrument
flying is certainly on-topic.

Old January 4th 04, 03:43 PM
Bill Carton - (The Roadie)

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"The charter of rec.aviation.ifr is:"

"Articles related to flight under Instrument Flight Rules. Regulatory
questions, communications, procedures, charts, training methods, maintaining
proficiency, recurrent training, instruments and equipment, questions, and
experiences."

No mention of commercial advertisements...

Well, there you go. If they were on-topic, they would have been mentioned.

The charter of rec.aviation.marketplace is:

************************************************** ****************************
* Rec.aviation.marketplace is an open forum for parties wanting or
* selling aircraft, parts, components, service and related items. No
* off-topic advertising, either commercial or otherwise will be
* encouraged.
************************************************** ****************************

and a publication on instrument flying is certainly on-topic.

Again, from the charters: "Use cross-posting sparingly. If an article "90%
belongs" in one group and "10% belongs" in another, post it only to the
first group."

Just trying to keep the clutter to a minimum. There's a place for ads, and
if your rationalization was adopted by everyone, ads would be crossposted
to all the groups. As they say, it doesn't scale. First an IFR-related
publication, then IFR avionics, then models of IFR-capable aircraft, then
IFR aircraft, then bikini calendars of IFR-rated female pilots, and so
forth. See the problem?

--
Bill "the Roadie" Carton
Old January 4th 04, 10:52 PM
GregR

"Bill Carton - (The Roadie)" wrote:

A common and bankrupt defense often heard from spammers and newsgroup
abusers.

Now there's a name I recognize from NANAE. Are you a flyer also?

--

GregR - Another Beemer Biker ...o&o

CA/IFR/BGI - KVNY

[This space for rent - inquire within]

Old January 5th 04, 01:19 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Carton - (The Roadie)" wrote in message

Well, there you go. If they were on-topic, they would have been mentioned.

You don't think instrument flying is on-topic in rec.aviation.ifr?

Again, from the charters: "Use cross-posting sparingly.

I do use cross-posting sparingly. I've posted thousands of messages.
Cross-posted a handful of them. That's sparingly.

Just trying to keep the clutter to a minimum.

The best way for you to do that is to cease posting messages.

Old January 7th 04, 04:15 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Tom Fleischman" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
In article , Tom Sixkiller
wrote:

If you check the Usenet rules, I believe they prohibit posts selling

stuff
in any group other those designated (i.e., xxx.marketplace). As Bob

said,
take it to the marketplace groups where it belongs(and stop being a
hypocrite).

To quote *you*, Mr. Sixkiller:

"Well, opinions are like assholes and bellybuttons, especially coming
from self-appointed net cops ...
...I suspect your discomfort with the subject has more to do with your
nagging than any real quest for UseNet purity."

This was quoted from *your* response to me in another thread in r.a.p.

Hypocrisy?

Pot, kettle, black.

Steve is a net contributer here and it is ifr related material.

Old January 12th 04, 03:50 PM
Bill Carton - (The Roadie)

GregR wrote:

"Bill Carton - (The Roadie)" wrote:

A common and bankrupt defense often heard from spammers and newsgroup
abusers.

Now there's a name I recognize from NANAE. Are you a flyer also?

Yeah - mentioned it a few times in NANAE. Regular poster to aviation
newsgroups 12-15 years ago. Email me so we can take it offline of this
discussion about Usenet abuse.

--
Bill "the Roadie" Carton