Compare ADS-B and XM weather

Old April 10th 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Compare ADS-B and XM weather

I'm interested in the utility of ADS-B and XM weather products for
soaring (I know about the geographic availability). Has anyone used
either enough to know? For example, XM weather has the visible satellite
images, but I don't think ADS-B does. Is that a deal killer?

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old April 10th 13, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Apr 9, 7:09*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'm interested in the utility of ADS-B and XM weather products for
soaring (I know about the geographic availability). Has anyone used
either enough to know? For example, XM weather has the visible satellite
images, but I don't think ADS-B does. Is that a deal killer?

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Where do you get visible satellite loop on xm? Last time I looked
nobody was offering it. Visible satellite shows cu and cirrus. That
and radar loop seem to me the most useful for soaring
John Cochrane
Old April 10th 13, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:09:30 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'm interested in the utility of ADS-B and XM weather products for

soaring (I know about the geographic availability). Has anyone used

either enough to know? For example, XM weather has the visible satellite

images, but I don't think ADS-B does. Is that a deal killer?

email me)
I am currently having ADS-B installed in my Piper Archer. The installation should be complete this week. I will report.

Bill Snead
6W

Old April 10th 13, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/9/2013 6:36 PM, John Cochrane wrote:
On Apr 9, 7:09 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'm interested in the utility of ADS-B and XM weather products for
soaring (I know about the geographic availability). Has anyone used
either enough to know? For example, XM weather has the visible satellite
images, but I don't think ADS-B does. Is that a deal killer?

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Where do you get visible satellite loop on xm? Last time I looked
nobody was offering it. Visible satellite shows cu and cirrus. That
and radar loop seem to me the most useful for soaring
John Cochrane

I can't seem to find what I thought I found a year or two ago, but here
is "satellite imagery". It doesn't look like 1 km resolution, however.

https://www.wxworx.com/wings-data

email me)
Old April 10th 13, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

XM Satellite mosaic comes with the high end XM sat weather plan ($99 /m).

http://www.xmwxweather.com/aviation/...ce-pricing.php

http://www.xmwxweather.com/xmwx-data/data-products.php ((click satellite mosaic photo example and detailed description)

I know from my experience in power flying that this mosaic can be zoomed in to a useful level of detail down to say a task area (100 miles, but not to say a 10 mile zoom level).

Also as you can see from the description, clouds below 5000 are not displayed.

Displays cloud cover over the continental United States and hundreds of miles off its coastline. An advanced formula estimates cloud temperatures at various altitudes across the country and converts them into estimated cloud height. Clouds below 5,000 feet are so close to ground temperatures, they are not shown.
Old April 10th 13, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/10/2013 6:28 AM, Sean F (F2) wrote:
XM Satellite mosaic comes with the high end XM sat weather plan ($99
/m).

http://www.xmwxweather.com/aviation/...ce-pricing.php

http://www.xmwxweather.com/xmwx-data/data-products.php ((click
satellite mosaic photo example and detailed description)

I know from my experience in power flying that this mosaic can be
zoomed in to a useful level of detail down to say a task area (100
miles, but not to say a 10 mile zoom level).

Also as you can see from the description, clouds below 5000 are not
displayed.

Displays cloud cover over the continental United States and hundreds
of miles off its coastline. An advanced formula estimates cloud
temperatures at various altitudes across the country and converts
them into estimated cloud height. Clouds below 5,000 feet are so
close to ground temperatures, they are not shown.

My best estimate is the picture is equivalent to 4 km resolution
satellite pictures, which seems too coarse to show wave bars and medium
to smaller cumulus. Have you had the chance to observe either on the mosaic?

I'm assuming building cu-nims would show up well, however, which would
be useful, but maybe those show up on radar, also, reducing the value of
the visible image.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old April 10th 13, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Probably right Eric. I never tried zooming in that much and it was almost a year ago since I flew the airplane that had it. Really cool stuff but I would not be able to advantage a lot with it although it would be nice in thunderstorm and rain. The radar is highly accurate and definitely shows tops, enough to confidently fly around multiple cells, etc. Also all the Garmin units that display weather are quite large so fitting it into a glider might be a challenge. Perhaps the major soaring instrument manufactures will begin building Garmin & other weather services weather into their units in the future. Would be great to simply change screens and go from soaring map to weather. Or to select weather overlay!
Old April 11th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:34:00 PM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:

" . . . Also all the Garmin units that display weather are quite large so fitting it into a glider might be a challenge. . . ."

I guess that all depends. Some Garmin GPS, Aera 560 and the previous 396, 496 (all WX capable) fit with no problem in my ASH26E. I have a 796 w/wx, and that's too big!

bumper

Old April 11th 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

True. The 396/496 are awesome units but not exactly small. I used to have one in my little liberty XL2. Can easily be mounted flush in the panel with an OEM panel mounting plate. Used on Enay from $450-700, respectively.