the trend is............

Old October 18th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Silent[_2_]

Default the trend is............

the trend is............MOTORGLIDERS

out of 100 ASG29 delivered 60 are motorgliders
90 pct of DG built are motorgliders
HPH Ltd will sell jets gliders to every lawyer and dentist!
Schempp-Hirth is doing nothing.....
Rolladen-Schneider out of business!
Lots of Sinuses, Tauruses, Apises all motorgliders.......
nothing else relevant worldwide!!!

ARE PURE GLIDERS ON THE BRINK OF EXTINCTION?

Daniel Scopel
Silent 2 Targa
C-GODY serial 2027
Volez souvent et soyez prudent.
http://pages. videotron. com/dscopel/

Old October 18th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 08:45 18 October 2008, Dan Silent wrote:
the trend is............MOTORGLIDERS

out of 100 ASG29 delivered 60 are motorgliders
90 pct of DG built are motorgliders
HPH Ltd will sell jets gliders to every lawyer and dentist!
Schempp-Hirth is doing nothing.....
Rolladen-Schneider out of business!
Lots of Sinuses, Tauruses, Apises all motorgliders.......
nothing else relevant worldwide!!!

ARE PURE GLIDERS ON THE BRINK OF EXTINCTION?

Daniel Scopel
Silent 2 Targa
C-GODY serial 2027
Volez souvent et soyez prudent.
http://pages. videotron. com/dscopel/

In what sense are Schemmp-Hirth (who build more gliders than anyone else)
"doing nothing"??
Old October 19th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Ward[_1_]

"Dan Silent" wrote in message
the trend is............MOTORGLIDERS

out of 100 ASG29 delivered 60 are motorgliders
90 pct of DG built are motorgliders
HPH Ltd will sell jets gliders to every lawyer and dentist!
Schempp-Hirth is doing nothing.....
Rolladen-Schneider out of business!
Lots of Sinuses, Tauruses, Apises all motorgliders.......
nothing else relevant worldwide!!!

ARE PURE GLIDERS ON THE BRINK OF EXTINCTION?

Daniel Scopel
Silent 2 Targa
C-GODY serial 2027
Volez souvent et soyez prudent.
http://pages. videotron. com/dscopel/

Yes, I'm afraid so. Little-known key components of the pure glider are
words in all caps, ellipses, and exclamation points. It's suspected that
the sudden scarcity of these components (and thus the inability to build
pure gliders) is the result of posters on Usenet exhausting the supply.

Tim Ward

Old October 19th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

On Oct 18, 4:11*pm, "Tim Ward" wrote:

ARE PURE GLIDERS ON THE BRINK OF EXTINCTION?

You just wouldn't listen to the Militant Band of 1-26 Pilots, would
you?!?!?!?

Of course, aluminum and fabric "pure" gliders should be around for a
long, long time...look at the precedent already set by tube-n-fabric
power planes!

When the last electron stops spinning, the savvy 1-26 pilot flies on
with calibrated posterior, a Winter or Sage mechanical vario...and a
Replogle barograph...

C'mon, you'll love being the pilot of an "antique fiberglass slipper"
when the pure glider is "extinct." Embrace the past...it actually IS
your future!

-Pete

insert diobolical laugh here for melodramatic effect
Old October 19th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

insert diobolical laugh here for melodramatic effect

Now I'm trying to remember where I put that damn turn point camera...
Old October 19th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

On the Contrary.

Schleicher also make successful self launch and sustainer motor powered gliders - as you note.

Schempp-hirth has an interest in Lange Aviation, and is working on a number of innovative power plants.
There is a Jet sustainer Ventus available, the Oehler propeller sustainers are popular and I assume we can look forward
to electrical propulsion some time soon. They do not produce a self launch version of Discus and Duo Discus.

In a lot of places, like where I fly the self launch can get marginal with high density altitude.

I went with a sustainer engine, because I can see where the market is going, but in many ways I would prefer the pure
glider. At the same price I could chose between a heavy handling self launcher, a somewhat cheaper ultralight self
launcher with lower performance and a DuoDiscus with sustainer.

Many options all of them finding customers. .

Old October 19th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_2_]

Let us be careful not to propagate the myth that aeroplanes fitted with
engines are gliders.

Jim

Old October 19th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

As a bottom feeder in the economic food chain, when all gliders that
are flying are motorgliders, I'll be looking at all the pictures I
took when I used to be able to fly a non-powered sailplane. Since it
will be somewhat impossible for me to ever afford a powered sailplane.

No complaints, just an honest asessment.

Brad
Old October 19th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:18:10 -0700, Brad wrote:

As a bottom feeder in the economic food chain, when all gliders that are
flying are motorgliders, I'll be looking at all the pictures I took when
I used to be able to fly a non-powered sailplane. Since it will be
somewhat impossible for me to ever afford a powered sailplane.

No complaints, just an honest asessment.

Move near to a winching site and you'll have the last laugh as fuel
prices go sky high.

I know places where you can winch straight into wave....

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 19th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Danewid

Since two years I own an ASW 28-18E and since May I have a share in an
ASH 26E.

My experience is that I get more pure gliding hours today than I did 2
years ago when I was flying my good old H304 (which I flew for 20 years).

If you can afford it, SSG/SLG will certainly give you more pure gliding
hours than a pure glider.

"Cheating"? Certainly, but it comes with age I think. When I was 20 I
could not belive that 30 years later I will be flying a glider with a
noisy engine on my back and that - most terrible of all - there will be
a slight smell of gasoline in the cockpit. At that time it was quite
common to make 2 outlandings on teh same day.

SSG/SLG is a good thing for those of us that wants to glide more because
now we can afford it.

Certainly pure gliders is certainly not on the brink of extinction! But
for some of us fortunate guys who can afford it, today we have SSG and
SLG to make life easier.

Robert
ASW28-18E RD
ASH 26E JA
(and former owner of a Jantar Std, ASW 19B and a beautiful Glasflügel 304)