FAA Revoking Standard Airworthiness Certificate DG-505

Old October 21st 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default FAA Revoking Standard Airworthiness Certificate DG-505

AFAIK Schleicher had Licensed Centrair to build the ASW20 under their control as the ASW20F - Centrair then went off and
made an unauthorised derivative without flaps and different airfoils (on the B and D models) and called it a Pegase.
Fuselage is largely ASW20, but with changes to tail boom diameter and wing root fillet.

Schleicher's problem with the Pegase is that people perceive it as being a "modified Schleicher" and since Centrair is
no longer involved they try to get Schleicher to help them. The fact that it was - like many of the the current Chinese
cars , an unauthorised reverse engineering job of a replaced model, that must have cost some ASW24/27 sales is easily
forgotten. Similarly when there is a problem with a Pegase component you get speculation about the ASW design.

It is another example of undesirable consequences eventuating from appointing a third party to build a derivative of a
mainstream manufacturers design.

Cats wrote:
On Oct 19, 10:47 pm, Bruce wrote:
snip
Schleicher have smaller problems with the Pegase which is a derivative of the ASW20, but is at least different enough
that they are distanced from the problems.

snip

Interesting - I never thought Schleicher had anything to do with the
Pegase once they had sorted out the original problems over Centrair
effectively stealing their designs and so on. Could you illuminate me
please, as I own a Pegase!

Old October 21st 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michel Talon

jcarlyle wrote:
The previous owner of my ASW-19b bought a Pegase (to get the new Cobra
trailer it came with), and when I asked how the ships compared he said
"the ASW-19 handled like a sports car while the Pegase felt like a
truck".

So, if i compare your post with the preceding post claiming that the
Pegase has the same handling as the ASW 20, i deduce that the ASW 20
handles like a truck! The truth is that the ASW19, the Pegase and the
ASW20 each have different wings and handle differently. The fuselage is
a completly minor aspect of the ship, the wings are vastly more
important. The ship which is of the same category as the Pegase is
rather the LS4, although with a different handling.

--

Michel TALON

Old February 16th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am buying a DG505 Orion from South Africa - I need to figure out the best way to get the paperwork in order. It will ship in the next month, but right now I have options of getting it here and doing things to make the registration go better - ANY IDEAS, or Thoughts are appreciated.

bhanson at ideal-interiors dot com

WH
Bill Hanson