Ventus 2cx brake

Old November 27th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

Default Why acutate the spoilers with a lever on the stick instead of thespoilers?

On Nov 27, 2:26*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Is there an operational reason for putting the brake on the stick
instead of the spoiler? As opposed to, say, cost reasons?

Several reasons:

(1) No spoilers (like the HP-18 or my whale mentioned above)
(2) Some people hate messing with spoilers to prevent rope
overrun at hookup, because of operational considerations
or because...
(3) Many gliders pull down flaps with spoiler activation, so
if you pull spoilers back to use brakes now you need to
push flaps back up (take-off and landing)

I think that's why many gliders have both...
Why it never works ? A long rant plus discussion above...

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Old November 28th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 27, 7:00*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

IIRC, LS, DG, Lange...
Old November 28th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Nov 27, 5:00*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

Ventus A/B and many Glasflügel ships.

Old November 28th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

DRN wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:00 pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

IIRC, LS, DG, Lange...

Those are just brand names, eh? The LS-8 and the DG-400 don't add flaps!

I believe the Nimbus 4 adds flaps with spoiler acutuation.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 28th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV

Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

IIRC, LS, DG, Lange...

Those are just brand names, eh? The LS-8 and the DG-400 don't add flaps!

My LS6-b does.

Tony V.
Old November 28th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Eric Greenwell wrote:
DRN wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:00 pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

IIRC, LS, DG, Lange...

Those are just brand names, eh? The LS-8 and the DG-400 don't add flaps!

I believe the Nimbus 4 adds flaps with spoiler acutuation.

DuoDiscus x and later have interlinked airbrake and landing flap.
Old November 28th 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Gayda

Tim Taylor schrieb:
On Nov 27, 5:00 pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

Ventus A/B and many Glasflügel ships.

Schempp-Hirth:
- Mini-Nimbus
- Nimbus 3DM

CU
Markus
Old November 28th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 27, 8:48*pm, DRN wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:00*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:

Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

IIRC, LS, DG, Lange...

I should have been a bit more precise.
Some readers are not confused by models that have no flaps, but... ;-)
The issue is when the SPOILER CONTROL moves the FLAP CONTROL.

There's no problem with putting the wheel-brake on the spoiler
with ships like the Ventus A/B, as the inboard flaps are pushed
down by the trailing-edge spoilers with-out moving the flap
control. If you select negative flaps for take-off or landing,
then pull full spoiler, the flap CONTROL is unaffected and
the outer control surfaces remain reflexed up as you
pull the spoiler handle.

The SPOILER CONTROL moves the FLAP CONTROL back
in many FLAPPED gliders, for example recent FLAPPED
gliders from LS, Lange, and I believe DG. This creates
a bit of an operational issue with wheel-brake on spoilers
only.

In Antares, it is not necessary to use negative flap for
powered takeoff or for landing roll-out as roll control
is extremely good at low speeds (and in general). It
does create a nuisance if you want to use negative
flap for aerotow takeoff, only necessary with a wing-
runner. For Antares my preference is no wing runner
even for aerotow, which may seem odd but works
extremely well. Even with full, water, its no problem.

Hope that's a bit more clear !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

brake fittings [email protected] Home Built 6 April 30th 07 01:33 AM
K21 brake parts Stuart Kinnear Soaring 10 June 26th 06 09:54 PM
looking for a 75 to 100 ton press brake about 8/10 ft Adrian eyre Home Built 1 January 6th 05 05:28 AM
BRAKE FLUID Ventus B Soaring 9 October 17th 04 07:25 PM
My squishy brake JFLEISC Owning 0 June 30th 04 01:44 AM