Requesting ATC help to find Runway with ATC COMS - Video

Old March 14th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Requesting ATC help to find Runway with ATC COMS - Video

Requesting ATC help to find Runway with ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXeNsdFVTs

One of my greater fears of operating at a controlled airport came to
fruitation. I wasn't able to positively identify the runway even with
using my DG for orientation purposes and I just wasn't going to line
up for final until I was assured I am landing on a runway. Sooo, ATC
came to my rescue and this turned out to be a non event.

8 minute Video starts with take off at KMBO, landing KJAN and landing
KHKS (airport that I had troubles finding runway) Video includes in
plane conversation with a pilot who was with me. For purposes of
video, audio from KJAN to KHKS was time compressed by removing periods
of silence.
Old March 15th 10, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Mar 14, 3:16*pm, " wrote:

One of my greater fears of operating at a controlled airport came to
fruitation. *I wasn't able to positively identify the runway even with
using my DG

It's nice to hear another confess this fear and challenge. I trained
at all uncontrolled airports & was very concerned with being able to
line up on the proper runway if I went to an airport with more than
one. I would go to great efforts in pre-flight and in flight with an
airport map, making sure I knew where all the runways were before I
even contacted approach. I listened intently to the active in use on
ATIS before talking to tower or approach. Once or twice, though, I had
to ask for help nevertheless.
One time a few years ago, approaching Midland for the annual CAF
Airshow, I lined up for final at the wrong airport altogether! In
Midland there is a large airport on the northern side of town, easily
seen in the air. The proper airport, Midland International, was on the
south side. A minute or so after acknowleging my clearance to land,
ATC came back with a vector to Midland International saying; "no
worries, this happens several times a day." I was heading for the
wrong airport. It did not happen again when I repeated this flight the
following year!

Ricky
Old March 15th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 15, 8:11*am, Ricky wrote:

I would go to great efforts in pre-flight and in flight with an
airport map, making sure I knew where all the runways were before I
even contacted approach. I listened intently to the active in use on
ATIS before talking to tower or approach. Once or twice, though, I had
to ask for help nevertheless.

I think your last sentence says it all. The key to our success of not
becoming an incident is to fess up.

As you can see in my own video, I do exactly like you described above,
look at the airport diagram, try to get positionally aware well before
getting to the airport. I even go as far during quiet periods of
cruise to anticipate my taxi route. I knew based on position that it
should have been exactly what I was instructed, report 2 mile final,
meaning straight in approach. I just didn't see piano keys, numbers,
white stripes from my position to identify what I was looking at was
indeed the runway. Unfortunately, what we see crystal clear on paper
sure becomes muddied from the airplane!

Lots of lessons can really be learned that I learned myself.

1. Don't talk your way into a "runway" It was almost too easy to say,
runway in sight, I think it's the runway, lets line up for it and
initiate my final approach. Be sure it's a runway, not a taxiway,
fishpond or parallel road.

2. This happens to seasoned pilots, not only students or lesser
experienced pilots. I will be hitting my 1000 hours next month and
pride means nothing when it comes to a safety issue.

3. As you pointed out, ask for ATC when in doubt. As demonstrated in
the video, ATC is there to help us, not the other way around.

Fortunately there wasn't any other traffic for me to conflict with,
but I didn't let it linger when I was confused since I felt I was
becoming a safety factor.

This only continues to prove that I am still learning from the moment
I step on the ramp til I put the plane to bed
Old March 26th 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Ricky wrote:

On Mar 14, 3:16*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Let me tell you a story, Ricky. One day I was approached and asked:

" As far as I know, Jesus didn't consider himself to be the Christ?

I answered:

"he did say it many times. I could site every instance, and provide
the idioms and show specific language translations from Koine Greek
to Syrian Aramaic and so forth.

Or you can take my word. I proved this point to a Pakistanian Surgeon
back in 1993, and have all the documentation still.

He was a hard core muslim until /then/.

Believers like me have thousands of untold acts of charity and
kindness which go unnoticed. But then you waterboard a couple of
people, and everyone notices.

Actually a third question...

Would you be willing to go to private email with me if the answer to
the above questions are "yes?"

Thanks,

Dr, Hotsalt

My life is so full, that I only have time to sleep 4 - 5 hours a
night, as there is so much to do, and so many places to be. To think
that these usenet games draw my attention...is laughable.

Now, my coffee is ready and I will go. In a few days when I return,
I will scan a few groups, see worthless noise which is attributed to
me, and skip over it. To the unwary it will appear that I have time
to argue with fools or care what they say.

Ta ta. Email me if you wish. Remove the "g" and insert a "d"

Mark knows Jesus...personally
--
Mark inventor/artist/pilot/guitarist/scientist/philosopher/
scratch golfer/cat wrangler and observer of the mundane.