Security in the USA

Old May 15th 05, 12:48 AM
Cockpit Colin

Default Security in the USA

I'm curious ...

What do you folks in the USA think the answer to the big "question" is, when
it comes to things like security of the whitehouse?

What's best ...

(a) Increase the radius of the no-fly zones to give greater protection
against faster aircraft?

(b) Leave things the way thay are now and "hope for the best"?

(c) Something else?

Seriously, we've all read many compelling arguments as to how and why the
existing procedures don't work, and tend to "drag down" GA - what I'm
interested in hearing though is not what DOESN'T work, but what DOES.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

CC

Old May 15th 05, 01:36 AM
Mike W.

The system is restrictive, but it does work if you are doing what you are
supposed to. File a flight plan (and follow it), talk with ATC, have good
situational awareness, stay clear of TFR's and restricted airspace, etc.
These are all things a private pilot is supposed to know in order to get his
certificate. Whether or not they choose to put it into practice is another
story.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

I'm curious ...

Old May 15th 05, 03:30 AM
Jose

What's best ...

(a) Increase the radius of the no-fly zones to give greater protection
against faster aircraft?

(b) Leave things the way thay are now and "hope for the best"?

(c) Something else?

(c) Something else. Get rid of the FRZ and the ADIZ around DC.

Now, what is the "problem" we are attempting to solve?

Jose
Old May 15th 05, 04:42 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Jose wrote:

What's best ...

(a) Increase the radius of the no-fly zones to give greater protection
against faster aircraft?

(b) Leave things the way thay are now and "hope for the best"?

(c) Something else?

(c) Something else. Get rid of the FRZ and the ADIZ around DC.

Now, what is the "problem" we are attempting to solve?

Jose

Make the Secret Service answerable to Congress.

Fire the "Chicken Littles" who came up with the FRZ.

Old May 15th 05, 05:14 AM
George Patterson

Cockpit Colin wrote:

What do you folks in the USA think the answer to the big "question" is, when
it comes to things like security of the whitehouse?

Get rid of the ADIZ and re-establish the VFR corridor. You can't violate an ADIZ
that isn't there.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 15th 05, 05:20 AM
Mike W.

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message

Make the Secret Service answerable to Congress.

Fire the "Chicken Littles" who came up with the FRZ.

That would be ideal, but realistically we should shoot for...

1) Hope that TFR's and other special restricted airspaces go away.

2) Hope that dumb-ass pilots stop busting aforesaid airspaces so as not to
create even more unnecessary media frenzy about deadly little planes.

Old May 15th 05, 01:47 PM
Cecil Chapman

2) Hope that dumb-ass pilots stop busting aforesaid airspaces so as not to
create even more unnecessary media frenzy about deadly little planes.

a BIG 'AMEN' to that one! :0)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old May 15th 05, 06:40 PM
Mike W.

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Get rid of the ADIZ and re-establish the VFR corridor. You can't violate

an ADIZ
that isn't there.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't

got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.

That's a pretty good idea. Have a legal, safe path thru the DC area. Of
course, there would always be some butt-head that can't stay within that,
either, but it's better.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old May 15th 05, 06:46 PM
Icebound

"Mike W." wrote in message

2) Hope that dumb-ass pilots stop busting aforesaid airspaces so as not to
create even more unnecessary media frenzy about deadly little planes.

Actually, the way media seems to work, the more such intrusions occur
without anyone getting seriously hurt, the more the media (and the public)
will get tired of them and will go away. They will go off to look for blood
in more-likely places, such as a good high-speed-chase on the freeway.

Old May 15th 05, 10:47 PM
john smith

I am simply amazed that we are spending hundreds of millions of dollars
to protect people we vote out of office every four to six years because
of their incompetence.