Airport Database

Old May 16th 05, 04:04 AM
Wizard of Draws

Default Airport Database

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on an airport database with name,
ID, lat/long and elevation?
I've found two from separate sources that are close, but each is missing at
least one element that I'd like to have and I don't relish the thought of
trying to merge them into one.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old May 16th 05, 04:37 AM
Ben Hallert

airnav.com has one, as does landings.com.

Old May 16th 05, 04:48 AM
Toks Desalu

Are you a member of AOPA?

If not, you should!

By the way, they have have the aiport directory. They have everything you
need, every detail to the bone. You can even download airport directory to
the PDA. You can't beat that, unless you have the array of expensive
equipment in your plane.

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
"Dyin to soar!"

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in
message news:BEAD8615.6E996%jeffbTAKEOUTALLCAPS@TOEMAILwiz ardofdraws.com...

Old May 16th 05, 10:33 AM
Christian

For data, check out http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/garmin/ and also
http://navaid.com/GPX/

http://www.cockpitgps.com/ gives a good introduction to use of handhelds...

Regards from ENZV

Old May 16th 05, 12:21 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Christian" said:
For data, check out http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/garmin/ and also
http://navaid.com/GPX/

GPX might be a bit hard to parse, but with the help of GPSBabel
( http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/ ), you can turn that GPX file into a
CSV (comma separated values) or other standard ascii file that you can
import into Excel or whatever you want to do with it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they can be
Old May 16th 05, 01:23 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:04:53 -0400, Wizard of Draws
wrote in
BEAD8615.6E996%jeffbTAKEOUTALLCAPS@TOEMAILwizardo fdraws.com::

I've found two from separate sources that are close, but each is missing at
least one element that I'd like to have and I don't relish the thought of
trying to merge them into one.

Of course, UNIX contains the ideal tool for merging databases and
manipulating fields within a database: awk. And there's even an awk
executable for Windows available he
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/awkbook/index.html
or
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/bwk/

And you'll find a manual page for awk he
http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/awk.1.asp

Old May 16th 05, 02:03 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Wizard of Draws wrote in
news:BEAD8615.6E996%jeffbTAKEOUTALLCAPS@TOEMAILwiz ardofdraws.com:

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on an airport database with
name, ID, lat/long and elevation?
I've found two from separate sources that are close, but each is
missing at least one element that I'd like to have and I don't relish
the thought of trying to merge them into one.

The most complete raw data is http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/ATA-
100/
Old May 16th 05, 02:40 PM

Wizard of Draws wrote:
Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on an airport database with

name,
ID, lat/long and elevation?
I've found two from separate sources that are close, but each is

missing at
least one element that I'd like to have and I don't relish the

thought of
trying to merge them into one.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic=81
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic=81
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

DAFIF

https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.cfm

it's what most PC based flight planners, simulators, etc... run off of

Old May 17th 05, 02:20 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/16/05 7:21 AM, in article , "Paul
Tomblin" spewed:

In a previous article, "Christian" said:
For data, check out http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/garmin/ and also
http://navaid.com/GPX/

GPX might be a bit hard to parse, but with the help of GPSBabel
( http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/ ), you can turn that GPX file into a
CSV (comma separated values) or other standard ascii file that you can
import into Excel or whatever you want to do with it.

Thanks guys. This looks like my best bet since I'm on a Mac. I just need a
basic CSV file to import into my Filemaker Pro logbook. I'm trying to learn
the program and a logbook with flight time, currencies, insurance and
medical info, E6B and airports seemed like a useful way. Since I'm not that
good with math, my head hurts.

WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 02:53 PM
NAS and associated computer system Newps Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 12th 04 05:12 AM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 04:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 06:35 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM