Garmin Money Machine

Old August 18th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

Default Garmin Money Machine

GPS 496 Database Updates

Terrain - $150 (one time only)
Obstacles - $35
AOPA Directory - $35
Jeppesen - $35
Safe Taxi - $35
Old August 18th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Ink jet printer - under $150
Ink jet cartridges = at least $20 forever

Basic cell phone = $100
Monthly charge = $50 forever

Gazillions of similar situations.

It's the way of today's world, John. don't blame Garmin for taking advantage
of it.

Bob Gardner

"john smith" wrote in message
GPS 496 Database Updates

Terrain - $150 (one time only)
Obstacles - $35
AOPA Directory - $35
Jeppesen - $35
Safe Taxi - $35

Old August 18th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Basic cell phone = $100
Monthly charge = $50 forever

Ha! In my case, it's "Cell phone = FREE", "Monthly Charge = $180
forever".

Of course, that's for five cell phones... (Way back in 1990, I used
to pay more than that for ONE cell phone...)

If only Garmin followed *this* recipe. Instead, they shaft us for
HUGE bucks up front, AND on the back end.

I don't blame them one bit, however. With Lowrance and AvMap run by
idiots who can't see that everyone -- boaters especially -- would
benefit from live XM weather, I see no reason why Garmin shouldn't
charge the absolute maximum amount possible for the 496.

I sure would.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 19th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

john smith wrote in news:46c741b7$0$31852
:

GPS 496 Database Updates

Terrain - $150 (one time only)
Obstacles - $35
AOPA Directory - $35
Jeppesen - $35
Safe Taxi - $35

Complaints about the cost of luxury items...

Priceless...

Old August 19th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
Judah wrote:

john smith wrote in news:46c741b7$0$31852
:

GPS 496 Database Updates

Terrain - $150 (one time only)
Obstacles - $35
AOPA Directory - $35
Jeppesen - $35
Safe Taxi - $35

Complaints about the cost of luxury items...
Priceless...

I don't mind paying the price for everything but the AOPA Directory.
That's a free download from AOPA.
Why are they charging $35?
Old August 19th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

At The Show this year I was asked to be a Lowrance beta tester for one of
their new products (actually an update to one of their current products).
Obviously I can't tell you what it is, but stand by for some Lowrance good
stuff.

I'll report back as they allow me.

Jim

Old August 19th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
At The Show this year I was asked to be a Lowrance beta tester for one of
their new products (actually an update to one of their current products).
Obviously I can't tell you what it is, but stand by for some Lowrance good
stuff.

I'll report back as they allow me.

I'm guessing Airmap 2000C w/XM or Airmap 600C w/XM. I'll probably add an XM
GPS to my portfolio next year, and I like Lowrance products. Of course,
there are 3 items I'd like to add to the RV and I still can't prioritize
them. 1) XM GPS. 2) Wing leveler/autopilot. 3) Dynon AHRS.

Any of these would greatly enhance my X/C ability and potentially give me a
*safer* airplane. The XM tells me where not to go. The Wing
leveler/autopilot has safety benefits on top of the convenience factor. The
AHRS (or wing leveler) greatly enhances my chances of surviving
unintentional IFR.

Of course, each item is about $2k, and the one I want most (the wing
leveler) is gonna be a bear to install in my airplane...

KB

Jim

Old August 19th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"john smith" wrote in message

I don't mind paying the price for everything but the AOPA Directory.
That's a free download from AOPA.
Why are they charging $35?

Do you know how to take the download from AOPA, format it for the 496, then
integrate it with the GPS software? If you do, I'm sure you'd be able to
afford a few more hamburger runs by charging, say, $34 for the service.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

cnc machine work? dlevy Home Built 6 October 6th 06 07:55 PM
how much money have you lost on the lottery? NOW GET THAT MONEY BACK! shane Home Built 0 February 5th 05 07:54 AM
Garmin 296 worth the money? Terry Owning 15 June 22nd 04 09:03 AM
Garmin 296 worth the money? Terry Piloting 3 June 17th 04 07:24 AM