Anyone recommend a source for designing hinged wings?

Old August 25th 03, 11:24 PM
Tim Schoenfelder

Default Anyone recommend a source for designing hinged wings?

I'm interested in implementing a hinged wing on my to-be-built homebuilt
airplane.

I'm looking for design specs/criteria/criteques describing the
strengths, weaknesses, reliability, and costs of the most used/popular
techniques.

Any good sources?

Tim Schoenfelder

Old August 26th 03, 03:58 PM
Corrie

Same here, Tim.

In metal, look at the Thorp/Sunderland S-18 http://www.t18.net/ And of
course, the Grumman Cats of WWII. ;-

In wood, the Cvjetcovic CA-65 http://www.hinkleymall.com/ca65.html has
a folding-wing option. There are not a lot of them around, though the
design dates back to the 60's. Not sure why - it seems to be a decent
design. But there seems to be more support for the Piel CP-301/328
Emeraude

Falconar http://www.falconaravia.com/ sells plans for a 3-piece wing
for the Emeraude, which allegedly can be built as a folding wing. It
adds about 40 lbs, and is non-trivial to operate. I'm thinking about
it, but would probably modify the design to split the flap (so as not
to have to remove it) and add Thorp-style aileron connections (to
avoid having to re-rig the wing). As I said, non-trivial. Check the
archives of the Emerauder group on yahoo. Also look at this newsgroup
a month or so back for a thread on high-strength hinges.

The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/

The Evans VP has a removable wing, but it's not a folding wing. You
have to disconnect the front and rear spars and four braces, not to
mention the aileron cables.

I'm not aware of any folding-wing designs in glass or carbon.

Corrie
http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm

Old August 26th 03, 04:04 PM
nafod40

Tim Schoenfelder wrote:
I'm interested in implementing a hinged wing on my to-be-built homebuilt
airplane.

I'm looking for design specs/criteria/criteques describing the
strengths, weaknesses, reliability, and costs of the most used/popular
techniques.

Any good sources?

Do a google on "glider" and "folding wing". There are a couple of
examples. I know the Stemme motorglider has folding wings.

Mike

Old August 27th 03, 01:34 PM
Tim Schoenfelder

Corrie wrote:
[...]

Corrie and Mike,

Thanks!

I really appreciate your advice..

Old August 27th 03, 02:02 PM
Tim Schoenfelder

Corrie wrote:
Same here, Tim.

In metal, look at the Thorp/Sunderland S-18 http://www.t18.net/ And of
course, the Grumman Cats of WWII. ;-

In wood, the Cvjetcovic CA-65 http://www.hinkleymall.com/ca65.html has
a folding-wing option. There are not a lot of them around, though the
design dates back to the 60's.

Pretty Plane. Clean looking design.

Not sure why - it seems to be a decent
design. But there seems to be more support for the Piel CP-301/328
Emeraude

Falconar http://www.falconaravia.com/ sells plans for a 3-piece wing
for the Emeraude, which allegedly can be built as a folding wing. It
adds about 40 lbs, and is non-trivial to operate. I'm thinking about
it, but would probably modify the design to split the flap (so as not
to have to remove it) and add Thorp-style aileron connections (to
avoid having to re-rig the wing). As I said, non-trivial. Check the
archives of the Emerauder group on yahoo. Also look at this newsgroup
a month or so back for a thread on high-strength hinges.

The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/

This link came up as bad.

The Evans VP has a removable wing, but it's not a folding wing. You
have to disconnect the front and rear spars and four braces, not to
mention the aileron cables.

I'm not aware of any folding-wing designs in glass or carbon.

Corrie
http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm

Cory, Nice website..

Come to think of it, I should state my objectives also.

I'm interested in building a sportplane (not much more weight than an
ultralight) that I can fold wings up on (safety is a concern with this)
and put into my garage.

I'm interested in a sportplane type/size of aircraft from the standpoint
of time in both building and licensing. I don't think that I wish to
spend several thousand hours(I don't have that much time) building it
like some of the composites and more complicated metal planes take.

Depending on where I live here in a couple of years and how much I get
out to enjoy it, storing it in my garage will hopefully/probably lower
my cost of ownership meaning that I'll fly more often and longer.

My objectives are similiar to those that you state on your website.
However, I do have relatives a state away that I'd probably fly to visit
with it.

Tim

Old August 27th 03, 02:42 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

Corrie wrote:
[...]

These are all good suggestions but if you are building a light plane you
might want to take a look at a couple of others. The Kitfox has elegant
folding wings:

http://www.skystar.com/images/wingsfolded1.JPG

The RANS company has several models of airplanes with folding wings. The
S-6 Coyote II is just one example:

http://www.rans.com/3V/s-6es.htm

Rick Pellicciotti, Belle Aire Tours, Inc.
http://www.belleairetours.com

Old August 27th 03, 02:55 PM
BllFs6

Hmmm

If you JUST wanna fly...and arent really interested in going very far or very
fast consider a gyrocopter......faster to build, cheaper to buy, easier to
trailer and store....plus they can take off in short distances and can almost
land/stop on a dime (comes in handy for emergency lands I would imagine...)

take care

BLL
Old August 27th 03, 06:52 PM
Corrie

Quite right, Rick. I completely left out the tube-fuselage and high-wing designs.

Old August 28th 03, 02:07 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:02:07 GMT, Tim Schoenfelder
wrote:

The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/

This link came up as bad.

Extra slash at the end. Try: