First flight

Old February 1st 04, 06:04 PM
Del Rawlins

On 31 Jan 2004 07:57 PM, Richard Lamb posted the following:

We hopped my new parasol today.
- about 15 seconds flying time!

Way to go.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old February 1st 04, 08:07 PM
Richard Lamb

nauga wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:

We hopped my new parasol today.
- about 15 seconds flying time!

Woohoo! This is your own design, right?
Congratulations!

Dave 'leaving the nest' Hyde

Yep. My second effort on this design.

The first one was a little smaller and (sadly)
way inder powered. (Solved THAT little problem!)

I guess anti-climactic is better - for first flights anyway...

Richard
Old February 1st 04, 10:18 PM
Don Lewis

Yep. My second effort on this design.

The first one was a little smaller and (sadly)
way inder powered. (Solved THAT little problem!)

I guess anti-climactic is better - for first flights anyway...

Richard

CONGRATS.!!!!!!!
When did you start on it ??
Don L. n FTW

Old February 1st 04, 10:26 PM
Richard Lamb

Don Lewis wrote:

Yep. My second effort on this design.

The first one was a little smaller and (sadly)
way inder powered. (Solved THAT little problem!)

I guess anti-climactic is better - for first flights anyway...

Richard

CONGRATS.!!!!!!!
When did you start on it ??
Don L. n FTW

Feb 2, 2000

Takes a while at $100 a month...

Richard
Old February 9th 04, 06:58 AM
J.D.

Hey Dave!

We hopped my new parasol today.
- about 15 seconds flying time!

This is probably the "other end of the spectrum", but that's the
way we've done it for years.

Instead of blasting off into the wild blue yonder, we start out
by just flying down the runway. Get a few hops on it before going
around the pattern.

Never got over half throttle(!)
Lift off at about 38 mph was very smooth.
Level at 10 feet at about 40-45 mph.

Ailerons are a bit mushy right now, but they are not sealed yet.
Two pieces of duct tape will make a big difference.

Uh, what else can you tell in 15 seconds?

Elevator incidence (decalage) seems ok.
But won't really know until it gets up to speed.
Stick seemed about neutral right now.

Controls are all very light (well duh).
Pitch response is positive and immediate.
But there was no tendency to diverge.

Also, typical of this breed, very little pressure gradient on the
elevator. In other words, the pressure on the stick doesn't increase
as the stick comes back. It's a finger tip stick.

And, underpowered - it is not...

Great Plains 2180 with Tennessee 62x29 prop turns 3000 static RPM.
750 pounds flying weight
125 sq ft wing area - stock Clark Y airfoil
Roughly 5 pounds per square foot wing load and 10 pounds per HP?!

Some things to work on -

The tailwheel leg is too limber. May need a helper?
Or thicker leg?

It needs a little more rudder travel. (Texans need a lot of tail)

The carb float doesn't seem to shut off flow very well(?)
I need to look at the float level or ?.

And finish the center section cover panels, fix the paint on the
cowling, install a T&B and VSI for test flying, figure out some
brakes for this thing, cuz it NEEDS them,
on and on and on...

These things are never really finished, are they?

Richard

lessee, $5000 for 15 seconds flying works out to what?
$1.2 millon per hour?

Outstanding! Good going, Richard; I'll let Ralph know.

J.D.
to e-mail, pull the post
Old February 9th 04, 04:45 PM
BllFs6

lessee, $5000 for 15 seconds flying works out to what?
$1.2 millon per hour?

Gawd...and I thought rentals were expensive

take care

Blll