We Are All Spaniards

Old March 26th 04, 01:00 PM
Dylan Smith

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:
Have you watched any TV in the UK? 'nuff said.

Even worse, have you watched TV in the US? :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 26th 04, 01:04 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Wdtabor wrote:
Uh, have you ever seen the condition of the average Brit's teeth?

Speaking as an average Brit:
* I am 31.
* I have no fillings
* I have no tooth problems (including wisdom tooth problems).

Mostly, this was caused by having good dental health as a child, and I'm
sure flouridized water helped.

While I've seen some people with terrible teeth here, I've seen just as
many people with terrible teeth in the US. There was even an article in
AOPA Magazine about a bunch of doctors who fly in the Appalacians (with
amongst other things, a DC-3) who have to pull out an awful lot of
rotten teeth.

Old March 26th 04, 01:40 PM
leslie

Tom Sixkiller ) wrote:
:
: Work ebbs and flows from one sector to another, and from one company to
: another.
:

And from one country to another:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5/b3818001.htm
BW Online | February 3, 2003 | The New Global Job Shift

even including lawyers, the larval form of politicians:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/426946.cms
Now, outsourcing to hit US lawyers - The Economic Times

http://www.atlaslegal.com/atlasBusineemode.html
Atlas legal Research

http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=16600553
Legal Research And Back-Office Work To Go Offshore Next

Fields thought to be the "Next Big Thing" such as biotechnology and
nanoteachnology are also being offshored:

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_f...ntent_id=37377
US Biotech Companies Evince Interest In Outsourcing To India

Will Ricardo's Iron Law of Wages come true?:

The Price of Globalization

"...The iron law of wages is also simple and logical. It says that wages
will tend to stabilize at or about subsistence level. That seemed
inevitable to Ricardo, since while workers are necessary, and so have
to be kept alive, they have no hope of any better treatment since they
are infinitely available, replaceable, and generally interchangeable.

Ricardo's wage theory has seemed untrue. The supply of competent
workers in a given place is not unlimited; neither workers nor
industry are perfectly mobile, and labor demonstrated in the 19th and
20th centuries that it could mobilize and defend itself. The iron law
of wages would seem to function only if the supply of labor is
infinite and totally mobile.

Unfortunately that day, for practical purposes, has now arrived,
thanks to globalization.

Globalization is removing the constraints imposed in the past by
societies possessing institutions, legislation, and the political will
to protect workers.

Free trade doctrine is hostile to unions, social legislation, and
legal restriction on industry's labor practices, all of which deprive
poor countries of their comparative advantage, which is poverty..."

Perhaps it already is coming true:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/7769103.htm
Mercury News | 01/22/2004 | Jobs shift to lower-paying sectors
Posted on Thu, Jan. 22, 2004

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old March 26th 04, 01:48 PM
Wdtabor

In article , Martin Hotze
writes:

Who is going to invade Austria?

we = Europe

What other country would Austria help?

well (speaking of Austria), AFAIK the 4 nations that signed the treaty would
have to (UK, France, US, Russia).

It would have been nice if you guys would have handled the Balkans crap
yourselves instead of us having to go over there and stop the genocide.

We have to do those things because you folks don't.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old March 26th 04, 01:48 PM
Wdtabor

In article , Martin Hotze
writes:

(Wdtabor) wrote:

and we can now address the
problem areas in Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia individually and in whatever

way
is appropriate.

neat wording for "do what we want because we are stronger. we can invade you
anytime. we don't care what you do or think, we are right and you are wrong.
always."

Neat wording is the soul of diplomacy.

But OK, I'll be a bit more blunt. If Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia continue to
support and shelter people who periodically come out and try to murder my
children, we'll stomp them flatter than bat**** and install a government there
that will keep its fanatics in line.

There, feel better?

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old March 26th 04, 02:06 PM
Jay Honeck

While I've seen some people with terrible teeth here, I've seen just as
many people with terrible teeth in the US.

Yep. I don't see this as a money problem, or a social problem, but more of
a cultural thing.

Dental care is easy. Brushing your teeth is easy, and cheap.

Having parents that force you to practice good oral hygiene isn't --
apparently regardless of what part of the world you live in.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 04, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

Globalization is removing the constraints imposed in the past by
societies possessing institutions, legislation, and the political will
to protect workers.

Free trade doctrine is hostile to unions, social legislation, and
legal restriction on industry's labor practices, all of which deprive
poor countries of their comparative advantage, which is poverty..."

That's the most illogical hypothesis I've seen. How is competing globally
any different than competition between the states? Or how about with
Canada? Where do you draw the line?

The alternative to competition is isolationism and protectionism, which
leads to $25 hammers, and $40K automobiles that don't last 50K miles...

I don't know about you, but I remember the days before America was forced to
compete with Japan and Germany. Remember "American Motors"? Remember
paying good, hard-earned money for junk cars that rusted out and broke down?

Well, I do, and it sucked. Meanwhile, the unionized line workers at AMC
were bringing in $60K, and loved to tell me jokes about how all they did was
sleep all day in the back room.

No, integration with the world economy is our only hope of long-term
survival.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 04, 02:15 PM
Jay Honeck

It would have been nice if you guys would have handled the Balkans crap
yourselves instead of us having to go over there and stop the genocide.

We have to do those things because you folks don't.

Further, Martin, what if we HADN'T stopped the killing? How long until the
ethnic hatred and anger had spilled across more borders, and involved MORE
countries?

Europe in general, and Austria in particular, will be "consulted" and
"treated as an equal" when you can figure out how to fix these kinds of
problems without allowing them to become world wars.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 26th 04, 02:36 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , Martin Hotze
wrote:

yeah, but we don't have to spend one billion dollar per week for
wargames.

Who is going to invade Austria?

Well, Germany did...but Austria then bent over and spread its cheeks.

What other country would Austria help?

Who would want their help?

Old March 26th 04, 03:50 PM
Paul Sengupta

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
Unemployment is
about 7%, most of it is white collar, and it really grates to have someone

try to
tell the world that anyone who wants a job can have one in the U.S.

My cousin in India wanted to move to Canada and get a job in IT.
His other choice was somewhere in Europe. I told him he's nuts as
the only only place booming in IT at the moment is India. He's got
a far greater chance of getting a job there.

Paul
(still in telecomms thankfully)