Almost saw someone crash

Old May 22nd 04, 10:02 PM
EDR

After losing two good friends in a crash in 1989, I vowed never agin to
remain quiet when I see something in the way a person flies that
bothers me.

Pilots do not like to be told that what they are doing/about to do is
stupid, and they tend to get upset with me, but I sleep better having
spoken my peace.

Sometimes you get through to people and they cease the behavior.
Sometimes they need the reassurance to remove any doubts they have.
Some are just too strong minded to listen.
Old May 22nd 04, 10:12 PM
Jack Allison

I'd be interested in hearing how the group would have reacted to this
situation

I'd have to agree w/ Eric and (hopefully) have the guts to confront the
person. Maybe they'd listen, maybe the wouldn't...but I'd feel better
knowing that I'd brought the person a different perspective (other than
their own) to the situation.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old May 22nd 04, 10:44 PM
Frode Berg

Then the million dollar question: Did he get rich?

Surely he didn't win a lawsuit for this???

Frode

"Steven P. McNicoll" skrev i melding
news

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Well, let's see: He crashed his plane, put himself and a couple of
passengers in the hospital (he was in a coma), walked away (eventually)
and sued the aircraft manufacturer. How is he NOT that type of
person?

Well, let's see; he didn't kill any passengers, he didn't kill anyone on

the
ground, and he didn't walk away from the crash unscathed. Is that enough?

Old May 22nd 04, 10:52 PM
Frode Berg

I agree in trying to speak ones mind abouot this.

Sure, someone will get upset, but at least, I would see it as my
responsibility towards innocent peopl on the ground, and in the air to warn
people like this.

However, it's important that we remember that we all have our own personal
minimums. This obviously does not comply in this cas with the thunderstorms
and extremely low cloud base, but I have seem instances where peopl would
advice 800+ hour pilots to not fly with a bit of wind, and cloud ceiling
around 1400 feet....some peopl only fly in blue skies, some have lower
minimums.

One should never fly VFR and have to get somewere on time though! You never
know if you have to divert, and if it's a serious appointment you are trying
to make, chances are you would push on further than you should if the
weather detoriates.

Frode

"Jack Allison" skrev i melding

Old May 23rd 04, 12:22 AM
Frank Ch. Eigler

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

Oh, you mean Steve Wozniak?

How many times did Wozniak crash?

Only once. But he sued Beech afterwards because the plane didn't prevent
him from getting behind the yoke without any experience or instruction in
a complex plane.

Google couldn't find much raw web material on this 1981 incident
involving N2WZ, but according to their Usenet archive, he did not win
the lawsuit.

http://tinyurl.com/2l624

- FChE
Old May 23rd 04, 12:33 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Viperdoc wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing how the group would have reacted to this
situation.

Well, I would have made a comment to the effect that I would not be flying VFR in
this weather. Since I'm not instrument rated, I would probably be able to add
"personally, I'm stuck here sitting this out" (or words to that effect) if I were
there.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.
Old May 23rd 04, 12:35 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Frode Berg wrote:

Sure, someone will get upset, ...

So what? Do you know this person? What do you care what she thinks about you?

Old May 23rd 04, 01:43 AM
Newps

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Frode Berg wrote:

Sure, someone will get upset, ...

So what? Do you know this person? What do you care what she thinks about

you?

Exactly. There's a guy in the MSP area who got a vacation from flying
because I turned his sorry ass in to the local FSDO in the Twin Cities. He
was flying over a lake at about 100 feet AGL over the top of boats and
peoples houses on the lake. 5 times.

Old May 23rd 04, 01:53 AM
Blanche

I wonder if there's an analogy to the drunk driver in this situation?
It's become quite acceptable (and even *strongly suggested*) that
keys are taken away from someone who's impaired by alcohol, or that
a cab is called. Could the same be applied to someone attempting
to fly who is impaired by alcohol?

I realize in the situation initially reported there didn't seem to
be alcohol (or drugs) involved. But what would you do if you
saw someone who was impaired, going to go fly?

And remember -- the car keys situation is a local issue. Flying drunk
is a Federal issue in the US. Don't know about other countries.

Old May 23rd 04, 02:08 AM
zatatime

On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:35:04 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Frode Berg wrote:

Sure, someone will get upset, ...

So what? Do you know this person? What do you care what she thinks about you?

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

I agree with the spirit of your statement, but it does matter a
little...If you're hoping to make a difference s/he has to think
enough of you to value the input you have provided.

As long as you don't approach the person like a screaming lunatic
(hopefully) you've got a shot at succeeding.