2-place Intercom and 4 Headsets

Old November 12th 03, 05:19 PM
John T

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message

I guess if I connect the portable to the pilot's jack and press the
planes's build in PTT you can hear the whole group chatting while
transmitting?

Haven't tried it, but to prevent it from happening, I use my own PTT.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 12th 03, 05:36 PM
Ron Natalie

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message ...

I guess if I connect the portable to the pilot's jack and press the planes's
build in PTT you can hear the whole group chatting while transmitting?

Depends on the intercom. I believe that on some if you don't use the PTT
on the intercom itself, only the pilots mic goes thorugh (using their "fail safe" mode).

Old November 13th 03, 01:18 AM
Mike Weller

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:33:06 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

"EDR" wrote in message ...

Plugging a second intercom into an existing intercom will result in
feedback if the mic plugs are plugged in.

Funny, it works just fine for me. Why would their be feedback. The intercom
looks like a headset to the the thing it's plugged into. The only real fun and
games is getting the PTT's and the squelches right if you intend to actually
use both intercoms. In my case I just plug everybody into the four place
and plug the portable into a single mic/headphone jack (just as if there was
not an intercom installed in the first place).

That's what I do, too, with a sigtronics. I use a separate push to
talk switch, through the sigtronics, so that the other microphones are
disconnected when the pilot transmits. Works fine.

Mike Weller

Old November 13th 03, 08:14 AM
Thomas Borchert

Kai,

no. You connect the 4-place to the pilot side connectors and switch off
the installed intercom. See www.ps-engineering.com and look for the
manual of their Aerocom III. It's all described in detail, including
use of an installed PTT switch.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 13th 03, 08:14 AM
Thomas Borchert

Edr,

Plugging a second intercom into an existing intercom will result in
feedback if the mic plugs are plugged in.

I wouldn't know why. Just plug the 4-place into the pilot side and

Old November 13th 03, 02:23 PM
EDR

In article , Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Edr,

Plugging a second intercom into an existing intercom will result in
feedback if the mic plugs are plugged in.

I wouldn't know why. Just plug the 4-place into the pilot side and
switch off the installed intercom.

That is correct, and that is what I do.
However, the original poster asked about plugging a two place intercom
into an existing intercom so four could communicate.
Old November 13th 03, 05:17 PM
gross_arrow

EDR wrote in message ...
In article , Kai Glaesner
wrote:

What do you need? An additional portable 2-place intercom? A Y-cable
extension?

Plugging a second intercom into an existing intercom will result in
feedback if the mic plugs are plugged in. This is especially true if
you have the second intercom plugged into the pilots side mic jack. You
may not hear it within the airplane, but if you transmit, all anyone
will hear is a squeal.

that's not my experience. i frequently fly a 6-place plane with a
4-place intercom. on the occassions when i put people in the back
two seats (like young eagles flights), i use _two_ 2-place portable
intercoms to expand the intercom to 6 place. they are even different
brands of portables, but i haven't had any problems with feedback,
and everyone seems to hear o.k. i do make it a point to use two
of the same model headset into each intercom. (i have 6 headsets --
2 lightspeeds, 2 peltors, and 2 pilot avionics cheapies.)

Two Y-cords may work, or not , depending on the impedances of the
headsets.

y-chords is something i would stay away from. they halve the impedance
seen at the jack. depending upon the design of output stage design of the
intercom, this could present a problem. in addition, i'm pretty sure
it's impossible to "y" the mike side -- losses would be too great, so
you'd be left with "receive only" at at least one of each "y'd" position.

mho,

g_a