Compass Correction Card

Old January 22nd 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

Default Compass Correction Card

Just for fun......

A long time ago, I was told that a compass correction card is
required.
I was also told it didn't have to be filled out.
That may not be a good idea.
No need to upset our FAA friends.

GA

Old January 23rd 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

I believe AC 43.13B can give you a little guidance on that matter.

AC 43.13-1B lists several instances when a compass swing must be
performed. These include:
Whenever the accuracy of the compass is suspected

After a cockpit modification or major replacement involving ferrous
metal

Whenever a compass has been subjected to a shock; for example, after a
hard landing or turbulence

After aircraft has passed through a severe electrical storm

After a lightning strike

Whenever a change is made to the electrical system

Whenever a change of cargo is likely to affect the compass

After an aircraft has been parked on one heading for more than a year

When flux valves are replaced.

An often overlooked matter amongst us aviation technicians.

Lane

Old January 23rd 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 22, 6:03*pm, glider wrote:
Just for fun......

* A long time ago, I was told that a compass correction card is
required.
* I was also told it didn't have to be filled out.
* That may not be a good idea.
* No need to upset our FAA friends.

* GA

If compass is perfect, I've been told by my IA, no correction card is
required.
Find a fed that will buy that!
UH
Old January 23rd 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

If compass is perfect, I've been told by my IA, no correction card is
required.
Find a fed that will buy that!

Prolly' wouldn't. Just put all zeros on a correction card.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 23rd 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 22, 8:04*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
wrote

If compass is perfect, I've been told by my IA, no correction card is
required.
Find a fed that will buy that!

Prolly' wouldn't. *Just put all zeros on a correction card.
--
Jim in NC

I think you are all missing the point.

If no compass is required there cannot be a requirement for a
correction card.

Andy
Old January 23rd 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 22, 8:27*pm, Andy wrote:

I think you are all missing the point.

If no compass is required there cannot be a requirement for a
correction card.

Andy

In the world of Federal Aviation Regulations the compass is called a
"magnetic direction indicator" and the compass correction card is a
"placard". Try a search of all the regulations (www.landings.com) and
try to find one regulation related to the installation of a magnetic
direction indicator in a "glider" or an "aircraft" - I found none!
All the regulatory requirements are specific to airplanes, rotorcraft,
or certain airships.

Anyone who finds one related to gliders please let me know. Otherwise
celebrate your freedom by burning your correction cards.

Andy

Old January 23rd 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

At least for my LS8-18, the feds can get you another way - a compass
is on the Minimum Equipment List. So my glider is required to have a
"magnetic direction indicator". The jury is still out on a correction
card, though...

-John

Old January 23rd 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

At least for my LS8-18, the feds can get you another way - a compass
is on the Minimum Equipment List.

I doubt it. A compass is on the minimum equipment list *for cloud flying*.
Old January 23rd 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan[_3_]

The jury is still out on a correction card, though...

I don't know the FAA rules, but in JAR (now EASA) country, the
regulation is:

JAR 22.1547 Magnetic direction indicator
Unless the deviation is less than 5° on all headings, the deviation
values for magnetic headings in not more than 30° increments must be
placarded near the magnetic direction indicator.

This of course only counts if the compass is part of the required equipment.
Old January 23rd 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

You doubt it?

I direct your attention to page 2-7 of the Dec 2001 LS8-18 Flight
Manual. In Section 2.10 Minimum Equipment List, it states "Magnetic
Compass. Under the following paragraph Additonally for Cloud Flying it
states "Compass".

I doubt I'll receive an apology...

-John