NAS Alameda O-Club

Old November 11th 04, 05:31 PM
Jdf4cheval

Default NAS Alameda O-Club

Does anyone remember where it was from the entrance gate? The USS Hornet museum
is berthed to the left along the waterfront, but I can't remember where the
O-club was. I've been invited to a gathering there, and can't even find an old
map of the station. Thanks!

Old November 12th 04, 07:54 AM
Mike Kanze

Joe,

The old NAS Alameda O-Club is close by the Main Gate - which is NOT the East
Gate one typically uses to get to HORNET.

How to get the

1. Follow the signs from I-880 to the HORNET, via the Webster Street Tube
from Oakland into Alameda.

2. Turn right (west) from Webster onto Atlantic Avenue. Landmark: College
of Alameda is on the near right corner.

3. Follow Atlantic all the way to Main Street. You'll see the East Gate
dead ahead of you, across the intersection, but DO NOT CROSS the
intersection. Instead...

4. Turn right (north) onto Main Street. Main will eventually curve
gradually to the left (west). Landmark: You'll pass the Alameda Ferry
Terminal and Rosenblum Winery on your right.

5. Main terminates at the Main Gate. Pass through the Main Gate, go around
the A-4 "gate guard", and turn left at your first opportunity onto Red Line
Avenue.

6. You'll see the O-Club on the left side of Red Line after about a block.

--
Mike Kanze

"There is no hope that the Vietnam generation braintrust who just lost this
election will ever understand Red [State] America. Until someone in the
party recognizes this, the tides of demography will inexorably erode the
blue islands that remain on the map."

- Daniel Henniger, WALL STREET JOURNAL (11/5/2004)

Old November 14th 04, 02:41 AM
Jdf4cheval

Thanks, Mike - your directions are spot-on. Enjoyed the brief return to them
good old days - what we can remember of 'em!
Joe